The Student Room Group

Sixth Form Personal Statement Question

For the 'Hobbies and Interests' part of my application, can I write about things which are not related to the A-Levels I'm taking? i.e I like to watch anime and read manga.
I wouldn’t recommend it

Any extra curriculars should be super curricular i.e. stuff that will boost your application
(edited 6 years ago)
When it comes to hobbies list down any after school sports or something that will link to your course or give you a skill as everything needs to link back to your course
Reply 3
Original post by Rebeccasomething
When it comes to hobbies list down any after school sports or something that will link to your course or give you a skill as everything needs to link back to your course

If anything I'd be classified as a nerd, and I don't happen to be particularly fond of any sport. I want to take Computer Science for A-Level, so I will mention how I frequently read and watch news in the technology field (honestly, I am a computer nerd).
The only extracurricular I can recall taking part in gave me leadership and communication skills, so I don't know where exactly to put that.
I have also won some awards, and I don't know where to put those either.
To be fair, it is kind of the application itself's fault since it only lets me write down my 'Hobbies and Interests' and 'Career Plans'...
Oh, and can I write about stories to do with my interests (when I had fixed my laptop, rather corny but it does show some experience lol)
Original post by korosensei
If anything I'd be classified as a nerd, and I don't happen to be particularly fond of any sport. I want to take Computer Science for A-Level, so I will mention how I frequently read and watch news in the technology field (honestly, I am a computer nerd).
The only extracurricular I can recall taking part in gave me leadership and communication skills, so I don't know where exactly to put that.
To be fair, it is kind of the application itself's fault since it only lets me write down my 'Hobbies and Interests' and 'Career Plans'...
Oh, and can I write about stories to do with my interests (when I had fixed my laptop, rather corny but it does show some experience lol)

That's all good but when talking about frequent news mention the phrase "current affairs" and talk about a particular field in technology and how it is progressing and show how important computer science is for he ever advancing world in technology.
Reply 5
Original post by Rebeccasomething
That's all good but when talking about frequent news mention the phrase "current affairs" and talk about a particular field in technology and how it is progressing and show how important computer science is for he ever advancing world in technology.

"Current affairs"?

You want to take CS A-Level, so have you done any electronics projects (even simple ones) with the Microbit? Arduino? Raspberry Pi?

How about programming? Have you learned any new programming languages recently? Explored different programming paradigms that you've never considered trying out before?

Those are good things to put on there, possibly.
Reply 7
Original post by Blue_Cow
You want to take CS A-Level, so have you done any electronics projects (even simple ones) with the Microbit? Arduino? Raspberry Pi?

How about programming? Have you learned any new programming languages recently? Explored different programming paradigms that you've never considered trying out before?

Those are good things to put on there, possibly.

I haven't worked on any projects, and I've barely learnt the basics of HTML/CSS. I'm doing my NEA now with Python, so I have to focus on that programming language (to be fair I don't even practice much so I'll get into another language anyway).
"Current affairs"?

Current affairs, the fancy way of saying you keep up to date with what's going on in computer science
For the 'Hobbies and Interests' part of my application, can I write about things which are not related to the A-Levels I'm taking? i.e I like to watch anime and read manga.

You can, but limit it. To be honest, personal statements don't matter a huge amount when applying to a sixth form unless it's seriously oversubscribed or your grades are only borderline enough to get in. I would try to tie in whatever interests you mention with either a course you're taking or a personal quality (e.g. playing this sport helped me work better in a team etc). Try to avoid putting in stuff if you can't explain how it's impacted you for the better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending