The Student Room Group

Mr Bruff???

I hear stories about how people watches his videos and how it has really helped them, but he has so many videos. I don't know where to start, what videos are relevant for me and how to use those videos. I'm on the 9-1 spec AQA for English Language, not sure for Literature but I'm taking A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls and Romeo and Juliet. For English I'm working at a Grade 5 and I just don't know how to structure a Grade 8/9 answer, and I really need to improve so that I can get an offer at my desired Sixth Form.
Reply 1
Original post by korosensei
I hear stories about how people watches his videos and how it has really helped them, but he has so many videos. I don't know where to start, what videos are relevant for me and how to use those videos. I'm on the 9-1 spec AQA for English Language, not sure for Literature but I'm taking A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls and Romeo and Juliet. For English I'm working at a Grade 5 and I just don't know how to structure a Grade 8/9 answer, and I really need to improve so that I can get an offer at my desired Sixth Form.

Same problem with me.
I wrote the old AQA English Language spec earlier this year. Mr Bruff's videos were very helpful with revision and learning but I also used the playlists in MissW's channel. The videos are organised into playlists by paper number and question number which makes it easier to work through.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AceYourExams/playlists
Reply 3
The videos go over each question one by one on each paper. He explains what needs to be done with each and what things to add for higher marks (ie discourse markers).

His downloadable booklet (about £4) goes more in depth, with examples of text, and answers, as well as, information on each question etc.

I would just start with the first video and work your way through them taking notes as you go. It's a good exercise as lectures at Uni and many college classes are carried out the same way.
I have just started using Mr. Bruff too, he is sooo helpful! What I started off by doing is listening to his Key Inspector Calls Quote Rap! It is soo catchy and the best thing about it, is that you gain 5 new quotes in it. I honestly don't know how to revise and I have a bad memory, but I now know an extra 5 quotes in an inspector calls! Better than nothing. Try doing this first, the main thing is about remembering quotes (only if it is closed book exam) and what they mean. This is the biggest thing that has changed and without knowing another 3 quotes from the rest of the play, you wont be able to get high marks, especially from A02! These are the quotes he mentions:

"Pink and Intimate"-stage directions
"Brighter and harder"-stage directions
"The germans dont want war"-Mr Birling
"You turned her away- yes and you killed her"- Eric Birling
"We are members of one body, we are responsible for each other"- Inspector Goole

Hope this helps!!
Original post by Purdy7
The videos go over each question one by one on each paper. He explains what needs to be done with each and what things to add for higher marks (ie discourse markers).

His downloadable booklet (about £4) goes more in depth, with examples of text, and answers, as well as, information on each question etc.

I would just start with the first video and work your way through them taking notes as you go. It's a good exercise as lectures at Uni and many college classes are carried out the same way.

Is this suitable for edexcel igcse english language?
Reply 6
Original post by LordFifth
Is this suitable for edexcel igcse english language?

Sorry I don't know, have a look on his website, it may say on there?

http://mrbruff.com/

Quick Reply

Latest