The Student Room Group

Should I go to the hospital?

Scroll to see replies

Go to a minor injuries unit with xray facilities.
Reply 21
I had a similar injury a few weeks ago (still recovering) and went to a minor injuries clinic and was seen and x-rayed within half an hour. If you use the search function on the NHS website, you'll be able to find your nearest, and it will most likely be quicker than A+E
Original post by Kindred
Basically you have a choice between hospital and GP who will probably just tell you to go to hospital.
Do you have anything like an urgent treatment near you that covers breaks etc? (some places do, some don't). If you do that would be a better call than A&E.
You could also phone the hospital to ask if it would be okay for you to come in. They might be able to give you a time to come in and save you waiting at A&E or tell you a better place to go.

You do need to be seen though. I can tell you that much. Good luck. Hope you don't have to wait too long and get this sorted soon

Unless it's really obviously just a bit of superficial bruising (which it doesn't sound like it is from the OP's description), any GP will want to send her for an x-ray. A Minor Injuries Unit, which you've mentioned, would be a good shout. However, given that the OP mentioned they're experiencing abnormal sensation (freezing cold, tingling), which may suggest damage to the blood vessels and nerves supplying the foot, then I'd ask them to go to A+E if they were my patient.

I wouldn't recommend calling A+E ahead of time either - she'll either speak to a receptionist (who isn't clinical, and won't be able to tell her how urgently she should turn up), or a nurse/doctor who will no doubt be extremely busy and won't have time to field questions like this (and it's also not their job to do so). :smile: It sucks, but the only thing to do is go and wait.
Reply 23
Thanks for everyone’s replies! For those who are remotely bothered, I have still not been to a&e yet :/ I thought the pain was easing off so didnt see any point going, but has since picked back up again. I’m definitely going tomorrow however it shuts overnight so it depends purely on whether I can get there or not before it closes, if not, Monday it is! Thanks again for all the responses and fingers crossed for not a break x
Original post by ellie7868
Thanks for everyone’s replies! For those who are remotely bothered, I have still not been to a&e yet :/ I thought the pain was easing off so didnt see any point going, but has since picked back up again. I’m definitely going tomorrow however it shuts overnight so it depends purely on whether I can get there or not before it closes, if not, Monday it is! Thanks again for all the responses and fingers crossed for not a break x

Where are you that your A&E shuts overnight? :eek:
Do make sure you're seen by tomorrow. In the meantime if you have any issues like loss of feeling call 111 (I know you had some issues like that earlier and they can be a sign of more serious damage).

Your a&e closes overnight?! What about urgent cases?! People can't just decide to not have a heart attack or stroke overnight!
Reply 26
Original post by Kindred
Where are you that your A&E shuts overnight? :eek:
Do make sure you're seen by tomorrow. In the meantime if you have any issues like loss of feeling call 111 (I know you had some issues like that earlier and they can be a sign of more serious damage).

Shuts overnight due to lack of staff in the hospital. The nearest places you could go for immediate medical help is a minor injuries unit about a 10 min drive away or a&e at a bigger hospital in a city about 20 min drive away. X
Reply 27
Original post by Potato456
Your a&e closes overnight?! What about urgent cases?! People can't just decide to not have a heart attack or stroke overnight!

It’s due to a lack of overnight staffing. There’s a minor injuries unit nearby and another a&e about a 20 min drive away. Urgent cases will get an ambulance to their house where they can then be taken away to the hospital where a&e shuts overnight x
It’s due to a lack of overnight staffing. There’s a minor injuries unit nearby and another a&e about a 20 min drive away. Urgent cases will get an ambulance to their house where they can then be taken away to the hospital where a&e shuts overnight x

Fair enough. Well either A&E or minor injuries should be fine for you so just pop into one of them today. Good luck. Hope it isn't anything too serious. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest