The Student Room Group

gcse resit

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Average number of A* GCSEs an Oxbridge student has is 7

You stand as good a chance as anyone else love
I really don’t recommend any resits when it’s more important to focus on A Levels!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
[QUOTE=...

I think it looks a little strange to have exams sat at different times on your UCAS form–it might suggest to universities that you had gotten particularly low marks on them, when it reality As are still very impressive grades

As someone who is still fuming over a 7 in English Literature, I think it would be better to stick with your current grades
Reply 3
[QUOTE=..

Universities only see your most recent results on the UCAS page

Why are you taking another 2 GCSEs? Surely that is taking away from you A Levels, especially when you already have 13 GCSEs. Plus, bare in mind Oxbridge offers come with quite a bit of luck: a sweep of A*s by no means guarantees you a place
Reply 4
[QUOTE=...

Original post by Pastelx
Universities only see your most recent results on the UCAS page

Why are you taking another 2 GCSEs? Surely that is taking away from you A Levels, especially when you already have 13 GCSEs. Plus, bare in mind Oxbridge offers come with quite a bit of luck: a sweep of A*s by no means guarantees you a place

You declare both the original grade and the resit.

But resitting with your profile (10 A*!) is a distraction and won't benefit you. Also I note you are specifically intending to apply to Cambridge in which case your GCSEs are not a significant factor anyway.

Focus on your A-levels, not GCSEs.
Reply 5
[QUOTE=..

They won't be worried by a candidate having 10 A* and 3 As. The average applicant has 4 or 5 A*. GCSEs are not that important, and especially not for Cambridge.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements
"There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college they where they were achieved.
Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE. However, there are always exceptions and we don’t require a minimum number of As/A*s at GCSE. One of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.
Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were attained, and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE."

Focus on your A-levels.
As long as your GCSES are decent (ie 7+ A*) Oxbridge really don’t care that much between someone with 10A* or 11A*. The difference then comes down to things like passion and aptitude for subject and performance on admissions tests. You would be FAR better off reading some books beyond the spec and gaining a real passion for your subject to talk about at interview than getting another A*. Honestly, GCSES really don’t make much of a difference- I know plenty of people with clean A*s who have been rejected and people with 7A* 3A who have been accepted. Heck I know a friend of a friend’s boyfriend at Cambridge who had like 4A* and a bunch of AsBs and Cs. it’s not worth getting hung up on
Reply 7
[QUOTE=..

Still no. And they only see the overall A grade anyway not the units.

And Maths and Physics are more relevant than Chemistry GCSE.

They don't even require Triple Science at GCSE.
If you think you're likely to do well in an entrance test then I would apply to Oxford, because everyone who applies there is automatically given an entrance test for their subject (as far as I know). If you apply to Cambridge with less than stellar grades (although I think your grades sound very good) then you run the risk of being rejected immediately without having a chance to prove yourself, which would suck. If you can do well at interview and in the entrance test and your personal statement doesn't bring up any red flags then you should be able to get into either uni even with only decent grades, but going for Cambridge is an unnecessary risk to take in my opinion.
[QUOTE=...
I wouldn't need resit. It looks amazing that you got 10 stars in the normal time frame, by resitting it tarnishes that.

You realise that 10A*s is already super high? Getting 11 or 12 wouldn't be that much of an advantage. Statiscally at Oxford, 10A*s is like ideal - above that is extra.

If you're applying for Cambridge your GCSEs will probably matter less than at Oxford so don't waste your time resitting them and focus on A Levels that are very hard. Very, very hard. And you'll be wanting A*A*A + to max your chances at Cambridge.
(edited 6 years ago)
[QUOTE=..?

I said I thought your grades so far were very good, however if you don't do so well at AS (i.e. achieve only 'decent' grades) then you might want to consider applying to Oxford instead for the reasons I mentioned. I'm surprised that wasn't clear, but then again you did miss the A* in english lit :-p

edit: I've now seen the edit you made to your original response. I'm sure Cambridge wouldn't think ill of you for wanting to resit the exams where you got As, but only do it if you are *sure* you will be able to improve your grade and also if you are confident that it will not hinder your A level preparation.
(edited 6 years ago)
[QUOTE=...

I don't think they'll boost your chances of getting into Oxbridge by 3%, but well done on your work ethic.
Original post by VirgoStrain
That last line was trash, I got a 9^ (9 distinction) on English Language.

That's pretty impressive given that you use commas instead of full stops to divide your sentences.

And I am definitely aiming for top grades at AS.

Very nice.
Thanks. I’m currently resitting some of my school end of topic tests from the first half term, because it went truly awfully. I swapped around my options so many times I’ve spent most of my study time catching up. Depending on how those tests go and how comfortable I am with my knowledge so far by Christmas, I will decide whether to resit the chemistry (and, but very unlikely, RE and English lit). I have until the 15th of December (late entry deadline) to make a decision.

I applied to Cambridge for NatSci (physics) last year and was rejected without interview or entrance test. I had 8A* and 4As at GSCE but some of my AS percentages were fairly mediocre even though I got As in all of them (physics, double maths, economics, marine science and french). Anyway, I was so pissed off that I rejected my offer from St Andrews and decided to reapply to Oxford for economics and management, then changed my mind and went for Materials science instead. I was accepted and I'm now a drunk, sick and sleep-deprived fresher who should really get to bed right this instant.

But yeah, I'd say it's probably not worth doing the retakes on balance having thought it over, and I'd suggest you put all your effort into getting super high UMS percentages in all your AS levels because it DOES MATTER A LOT. goodnight.
Goodnight. And well done on your Oxford acceptance.

Thank you kindly my good sir
Reply 15
Original post by LovelySear
But yeah, I'd say it's probably not worth doing the retakes on balance having thought it over, and I'd suggest you put all your effort into getting super high UMS percentages in all your AS levels because it DOES MATTER A LOT. goodnight.

There's no UMS for most AS-levels now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Sounds great, because I’m doing 2 extra GCSE’s this year.

Why?

What A-levels are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry.

I self teach electronics but I don’t need to start doing much until Year 13 as its linear.

I’m likely applying for General Engineering at Cambridge.

And the extra GCSEs?

You know you need 3 A-levels not 5, right?
Neither Cambridge or Oxford are going to care about whether your are 10 a*s or 20 a*s, doing more and resitting other is just down to your own pride. They are also not going to care if you do 5 A levels or 3, again it's just down to how much time you have and how much you want to be able to brag about it.

They will care about your entry exams and they will care about your interview performance, my sisters friend from school last year ended up with no offer from Cambridge despite having 4 A* A levels
Reply 19
Yes I know. I’m not the only one doing electronics as a 5th.

At a time when you will need to ensure you do very well in your four "main" subjects. And, unlike previously with modular AS/A-levels, you will have a Y13 where you will be revising and examined on 2 full years of work.

I'd really caution you to think again.

If these things interest you then great, but you don't need the added stress of sitting formal exams in them. Consider them to be super-curriculars, not unnecessary qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest