The Student Room Group

If you Got touched sexually as a kid..

Like at age 7 like kissed by your uncle who was trying to hide it and you just taking it . And then few years down the line, your hormones are raging? Is it possible that because of those experiences, you're now very you know... shouldn't you feel disgusted by that and traumatised that you don't even like the idea of affection but you're actually the opposite.

This is not about me!!!! If you're about to ask.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What?
Reply 2
LOL
I had something like this happen to me when I was a kid and I relate.
Original post by ostara1
What?

Why am I always so unclear ugh

Original post by iodo345
LOL

What's funny
Original post by Emerald777O
Like at age 7 like kissed by your uncle who was trying to hide it and you just taking it . And then few years down the line, your hormones are raging? Is it possible that because of those experiences, you're now very you know... shouldn't you feel disgusted by that and traumatised that you don't even like the idea of affection but you're actually the opposite.

Yes, sexual abuse as a child is unfortunately incredibly traumatic - more often than not adolescents will be affected by mental health issues.

I don't think you should be encouraging anyone who has suffered sexual abuse to feel disgusted, but you should encourage them to seek help about it from someone they trust, someone who will take this crime seriously and not disbelieve the person or make them feel small.
Original post by Anonymous

Does it mean that something is wrong with you?
Original post by banoffeee
Yes, sexual abuse as a child is unfortunately incredibly traumatic - more often than not adolescents will be affected by mental health issues.

I don't think you should be encouraging anyone who has suffered sexual abuse to feel disgusted, but you should encourage them to seek help about it from someone they trust, someone who will take this crime seriously and not disbelieve the person or make them feel small.

No but I'm asking even though they got sexually abused as child, is it normal to be sexually frustrated and maybe obsessed with sex as a teen?
Reply 8
Some people get very promiscuous as opposed to retreating from it. It's not even consistent within one person always.
Original post by Anonymous

:hugs:
Original post by Pathway
Some people get very promiscuous as opposed to retreating from it. It's not even consistent within one person always.

What does this mean?

So basically you're asking if it's odd to still have sexual feelings after being sexually abused as a kid?

Well obviously it's not a one size fits all and not everybody will feel the same way, but being sexually abused doesn't necessarily mean you will be repulsed or made uncomfortable by sexual things later on.
Especially if it happened as a child there's the potential you don't really link the two things since you didn't see them as sexual as a child. It may be that you've worked on it a lot and have managed to keep those feelings at bay. It may be that they were different things and although some things will still make you uncomfortable you're fine with other things. It may even be that having that treatment as a kid warped you and means you're if anything more into sexual things because it was so normal to you at a young age or as a messed up coping mechanism (fighting fire with fire I guess).
And hormones are hormones, they don't really listen to psychological stuff so it's entirely possible to be physically turned on, but mentally creped out.

But it's also very possible that you would have long term issues with sexual things or even anything physical in general. It's all down the the individual.

(btw the "you" is just cos of tense and stuff, not cos it's actually directed at you. I just couldn't think of other ways to word it).

I hope that makes sense. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kindred
So basically you're asking if it's odd to still have sexual feelings after being sexually abused as a kid?

Well obviously it's not a one size fits all and not everybody will feel the same way, but being sexually abused doesn't necessarily mean you will be repulsed or made uncomfortable by sexual things later on.
Especially if it happened as a child there's the potential you don't really link the two things since you didn't see them as sexual as a child. It may be that you've worked on it a lot and have managed to keep those feelings at bay. It may be that they were different things and although some things will still make you uncomfortable you're fine with other things. It may even be that having that treatment as a kid warped you and means you're if anything more into sexual things because it was so normal to you at a young age or as a messed up coping mechanism (fighting fire with fire I guess).
And hormones are hormones, they don't really listen to psychological stuff so it's entirely possible to be physically turned on, but mentally creped out.

But it's also very possible that you would have long term issues with sexual things or even anything physical in general. It's all down the the individual.

(btw the "you" is just cos of tense and stuff, not cos it's actually directed at you. I just couldn't think of other ways to word it).

I hope that makes sense. :smile:

So there's nothing that links with getting sexual abused and from it, becoming crazy for sex like psychologically? If there is I need to see it written somewhere .

Thank you :smile:
No but I'm asking even though they got sexually abused as child, is it normal to be sexually frustrated and maybe obsessed with sex as a teen?

There is no "normal" outcome.

People struggling with sex addiction during adolescence may or may not have been victims of sexual abuse as a child.

Sex addiction is complex, figuring out the causes is no exact science, but it is thought to be often rooted in trauma of some kind.
What does this mean?

After being sexually abused in childhood some people are more promiscuous in adulthood, but the converse can also be true. It isn't always the same in one person either, e.g. for some time they may refuse to be sexual, but then something happens or a switch is flipped or whatever and then they may have sex more often and may have trouble saying "no" etc.

Basically, it just depends on the individual whether or not their history of sexual abuse affects them at all in having sex. Loads of different factors affect this though (e.g. have they processed their trauma?; have they got negative thoughts towards whichever gender they're attracted to?; how do they view themselves?; etc.).

I'm kind of confused by your OP though, honestly. Are you saying that people who have been abused should feel disgusted if they want sex? What do you mean by "you're now very, y'know..."?
So there's nothing that links with getting sexual abused and from it, becoming crazy for sex like psychologically? If there is I need to see it written somewhere .

Thank you :smile:

Depends on the person. People react in different ways to trauma and even one person may go through multiple stages or even feel conflicting things all at the same time.
Becoming "crazy for sex" is a possibility, but so is being disgusted by it altogether or even being disgusted and obsessed with it at the same time. There is no normal with things like this.

If you want evidence give it a google. I googles "sex obsessed as a result of sexual abuse" and came across this:
https://www.bridgestorecovery.com/blog/childhood-sexual-abuse-and-hypersexuality-how-trauma-informs-sex-addiction/#sthash.eNhTuqez.dpbs
http://www.medicaldaily.com/does-childhood-sex-abuse-lead-promiscuity-later-or-only-myth-317060
Original post by Pathway
After being sexually abused in childhood some people are more promiscuous in adulthood, but the converse can also be true. It isn't always the same in one person either, e.g. for some time they may refuse to be sexual, but then something happens or a switch is flipped or whatever and then they may have sex more often and may have trouble saying "no" etc.

Basically, it just depends on the individual whether or not their history of sexual abuse affects them at all in having sex. Loads of different factors affect this though (e.g. have they processed their trauma?; have they got negative thoughts towards whichever gender they're attracted to?; how do they view themselves?; etc.).

I'm kind of confused by your OP though, honestly. Are you saying that people who have been abused should feel disgusted if they want sex? What do you mean by "you're now very, y'know..."?

Not disgusted but like wouldn't they feel uncomfortable about the whole idea of sex when they've had bad experiences of it like sexual abuse as a child? This person feels like they're crazy and they want to find a reason why they can't help but feel horny all the time. They feel like they're crazy. They want to explain to people how those experiences may have affected her in some way that she wasn't aware of. Do you get it?
Original post by Kindred
Depends on the person. People react in different ways to trauma and even one person may go through multiple stages or even feel conflicting things all at the same time.
Becoming "crazy for sex" is a possibility, but so is being disgusted by it altogether or even being disgusted and obsessed with it at the same time. There is no normal with things like this.

If you want evidence give it a google. I googles "sex obsessed as a result of sexual abuse" and came across this:
https://www.bridgestorecovery.com/blog/childhood-sexual-abuse-and-hypersexuality-how-trauma-informs-sex-addiction/#sthash.eNhTuqez.dpbs
http://www.medicaldaily.com/does-childhood-sex-abuse-lead-promiscuity-later-or-only-myth-317060

Thanks very much
Not disgusted but like wouldn't they feel uncomfortable about the whole idea of sex when they've had bad experiences of it like sexual abuse as a child? This person feels like they're crazy and they want to find a reason why they can't help but feel horny all the time. They feel like they're crazy. They want to explain to people how those experiences may have affected her in some way that she wasn't aware of. Do you get it?

Well, it's exactly what I've written above. People don't always have to be disgusted by it even when they've been abused. Sometimes they use sex as a way to regain control over the situation as they never had the control when they were abused. Some end up being "used" by people because they lack capacity to assert themselves in the situation to say no. Yes some people do feel disgusted/scared/insert other negative feeling here by the idea of sex, but that's not always the case.

It just depends on the person. There's no set equation in working out how a person may or may not be affected by their abuse. :dontknow:

Has she seen a psychologist or therapist about her trauma history? Perhaps she might be willing to work through it to better understand herself?
Original post by Pathway
Well, it's exactly what I've written above. People don't always have to be disgusted by it even when they've been abused. Sometimes they use sex as a way to regain control over the situation as they never had the control when they were abused. Some end up being "used" by people because they lack capacity to assert themselves in the situation to say no. Yes some people do feel disgusted/scared/insert other negative feeling here by the idea of sex, but that's not always the case.

It just depends on the person. There's no set equation in working out how a person may or may not be affected by their abuse. :dontknow:

Has she seen a psychologist or therapist about her trauma history? Perhaps she might be willing to work through it to better understand herself?

No because she's scared of what would happen. She's scared that her parents would get involved. Is there a way for her to talk to someone about it without getting the parents involved ? She's under 18

Latest

Trending

Trending