The Student Room Group

How do I get onto a computer science course with no experience?

I'm on a gap year and got A*, A, B in Law, Psychology and English Language at A level and B in Sociology at AS. Obviously these are NOTHING to do with computer science and every other forum I've read people have been like "I've have no experience and have A levels in maths, physics and chemistry" like obviously they're going to get on :/ . I've got loads of experience from my gap year stuff that would get me onto a good business course but it's really not my passion so do I sacrifice going to an alright uni for something I'd hate and go to a horrific uni? Will I even get into a horrific one for computer science with my grades/experience??
I think it would be wise to contact universities directly, but unfortunately in your case it seems like the best case scenario would be to register to sit 1 year A levels for summer 2018, choose more relevant subjects to study this year. Typically CS require Maths and sometimes Physics so you should check degree requirements at universities you are interested in applying in. One good option might be applying to courses with a Foundation Year (I don't know much about these but from what I understand they are aimed for people with limited experience with A Level Physics and Maths who are interested in vocational degrees like Engineering, Computer Science, and STEM subjects.

I think it is absolutely worth pursuing Computer Science if you know it is something you are truly interested in, but you will have to probably i) take A level courses or ii) Apply for Foundation Courses. But definitely contact the unis to check for certain- I'm sure that'll clear things up a lot more!
Reply 2
Original post by Percypig17
I think it would be wise to contact universities directly, but unfortunately in your case it seems like the best case scenario would be to register to sit 1 year A levels for summer 2018, choose more relevant subjects to study this year. Typically CS require Maths and sometimes Physics so you should check degree requirements at universities you are interested in applying in. One good option might be applying to courses with a Foundation Year (I don't know much about these but from what I understand they are aimed for people with limited experience with A Level Physics and Maths who are interested in vocational degrees like Engineering, Computer Science, and STEM subjects.

I think it is absolutely worth pursuing Computer Science if you know it is something you are truly interested in, but you will have to probably i) take A level courses or ii) Apply for Foundation Courses. But definitely contact the unis to check for certain- I'm sure that'll clear things up a lot more!

I will be in Tanzania teaching English during 2018 exam season :frown: Maybe I will try foundation, thank you:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ferncsru
I will be in Tanzania teaching English during 2018 exam season :frown: Maybe I will try foundation, thank you:smile:
Southampton offers a foundation year and that is an excellent university for CS. Not too many top unis offer foundation courses.

Other than that you will have to look at lower rated unis like Portsmouth, Sheffield Hallam, Sussex etc. Nothing wrong with a degree from lower rated uni provided you can get the relevant work experience with a first or a 2.1.
Original post by ferncsru
I'm on a gap year and got A*, A, B in Law, Psychology and English Language at A level and B in Sociology at AS. Obviously these are NOTHING to do with computer science and every other forum I've read people have been like "I've have no experience and have A levels in maths, physics and chemistry" like obviously they're going to get on :/ . I've got loads of experience from my gap year stuff that would get me onto a good business course but it's really not my passion so do I sacrifice going to an alright uni for something I'd hate and go to a horrific uni? Will I even get into a horrific one for computer science with my grades/experience??

Hey @ferncsru :biggrin:

I spoke to one of the lecturers in the faculty about your concern of apply for the computer science course and this is what he said:

"We don’t have any prerequisite subjects at A level or BTEC for entry onto computing courses. We do ask for a GCSE maths at grade b or better for Computer Science. Our courses take people with little or no knowledge alongside those who have studied maths or computing and produce excellent IT professionals from them all."

If you are still concerned and you want to talk to someone about it more, head to one of our open days! :smile: We have one coming up this month and you can ask any questions that you may have about the application.

Let me know if you need any more help

Reanne :h:
Try to do some MOOCs from universities that offer the course and you're interested in potentially attending.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending