The Student Room Group

The Long Road to Amazing AS Grades (GYG)

My Long Road to Amazing AS Grades and an Amazing first year!

About me:
Hey everyone! I am currently in Year 12, and I am doing my A-Levels. Although the exams I'll be taking at the end of the year are mocks, I thought I would still put AS Grades just for clarity.
I would describe myself as a perfectionist, and I have very high expectations, which isn't always the best thing. I would say I'm quite hard-working too, and organised (to -do lists are my new best friend).
In my spare time, I play the flute, bake, read, and do many other extra-curricular activities, which I will hopefully share with you as well :smile:

My A-Levels and Grades so far:
The first subject I take is History, which I love. We're doing Russia at the moment, and are currently looking at Alexander III. There is a huge workload, and so much to remember, but the topics are so interesting. However, the essays are much harder, as you really have to have the key skills.
Grades so far: Source Essay: A (However this was with lots of pre-planning)
Essay Question: A

The second subject I take is French. French is very difficult to get a good mark in I find. Although I was really worried about the speaking initially, I'm actually finding it alright now. The translation and listening is what I'm finding the hardest. I love how we get to learn more about France as a whole, and the culture.
Grades so far: First assessment (Listening, Reading, Translation + Grammar): A (Only just)

The third subject I take is Law. Law is so interesting! We're in the middle of looking at the English Legal System. So far we've done about the criminal system, so the courts, and juries etc. My favourite part was Sentencing. We also learnt about legal professionals, which was perhaps my least favourite part so far. We're starting Civil stuff soon, which probably won't be as interesting :frown:
Grades so far: First assessment: A*

College Life:
I go to a 6th form College, which has around 2000 students. I am loving College so far - so much better than school. We get treated more like adults, and there's no cliques or drama anymore.
At college, I do lots of extra-curriculars, so one of my main challenges this year will be to balance them all.
I'm going to India with College next year, which should be amazing!

Outside of College I'm a young leader at Brownies, and I also go to Rangers. I also play the flute :smile:

My Ambitions:
When I leave college, I want to go to University (preferably a Russel Group - and maybe even Oxbridge!) I would like to study Law, and hopefully become a Lawyer in the future.
This year, I want to get amazing grades at the end of the year, to make my application for Uni as strong as it can be. Also, the more work I put in this year, the less stressful next year should be. It's not all work however - I hope to enjoy college life as much as I can, and develop myself as a person.

GCSE Grades incase anyone was interested:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Monday 6th November
I have a day off college today :biggrin: so I'm using today to relax a bit and catch up on some work.
Yesterday I just did some Law Flashcards for the test that we have on Thursday. I also did my French Homework, and started learning some new words, as we have a vocab test each week.
Good luck on your journey! I've been on it as I got 4 as last year but I did completely different subjects.
Original post by joshchamp125
Good luck on your journey! I've been on it as I got 4 as last year but I did completely different subjects.

Thank you! Do you have any tips?
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
Thank you! Do you have any tips?

Start revising early and stay ahead. And do lots of past papers.
Original post by joshchamp125
Start revising early and stay ahead. And do lots of past papers.

Okay thank you :smile:
My Long Road to Amazing AS Grades and an Amazing first year!

About me:
Hey everyone! I am currently in Year 12, and I am doing my A-Levels. Although the exams I'll be taking at the end of the year are mocks, I thought I would still put AS Grades just for clarity.
I would describe myself as a perfectionist, and I have very high expectations, which isn't always the best thing. I would say I'm quite hard-working too, and organised (to -do lists are my new best friend).
In my spare time, I play the flute, bake, read, and do many other extra-curricular activities, which I will hopefully share with you as well :smile:

My A-Levels and Grades so far:
The first subject I take is History, which I love. We're doing Russia at the moment, and are currently looking at Alexander III. There is a huge workload, and so much to remember, but the topics are so interesting. However, the essays are much harder, as you really have to have the key skills.
Grades so far: Source Essay: A (However this was with lots of pre-planning)
Essay Question: A

The second subject I take is French. French is very difficult to get a good mark in I find. Although I was really worried about the speaking initially, I'm actually finding it alright now. The translation and listening is what I'm finding the hardest. I love how we get to learn more about France as a whole, and the culture.
Grades so far: First assessment (Listening, Reading, Translation + Grammar): A (Only just)

The third subject I take is Law. Law is so interesting! We're in the middle of looking at the English Legal System. So far we've done about the criminal system, so the courts, and juries etc. My favourite part was Sentencing. We also learnt about legal professionals, which was perhaps my least favourite part so far. We're starting Civil stuff soon, which probably won't be as interesting :frown:
Grades so far: First assessment: A*

College Life:
I go to a 6th form College, which has around 2000 students. I am loving College so far - so much better than school. We get treated more like adults, and there's no cliques or drama anymore.
At college, I do lots of extra-curriculars, so one of my main challenges this year will be to balance them all.
I'm going to India with College next year, which should be amazing!

Outside of College I'm a young leader at Brownies, and I also go to Rangers. I also play the flute :smile:

My Ambitions:
When I leave college, I want to go to University (preferably a Russel Group - and maybe even Oxbridge!) I would like to study Law, and hopefully become a Lawyer in the future.
This year, I want to get amazing grades at the end of the year, to make my application for Uni as strong as it can be. Also, the more work I put in this year, the less stressful next year should be. It's not all work however - I hope to enjoy college life as much as I can, and develop myself as a person.

GCSE Grades incase anyone was interested:

Spoiler

Great subjects and great grades!

Hope you enjoy your college days and get to a Russell Group Uni - or even Oxbridge! :smile:
Good Luck!
Original post by brainzistheword
Great subjects and great grades!

Hope you enjoy your college days and get to a Russell Group Uni - or even Oxbridge! :smile:

Thank you :smile: Oxbridge is the dream haha, but I think it will be impossible for me to get in
I just got back a Law Test and I got full marks! I'm really happy with myself.
I'm also starting my EPQ on "How much impact does EU Laws on Human Rights have on the English Legal System", which should be interesting. The only thing I'm worried about is whether it will be too time consuming.
I'll be posting a weekly recap tomorrow as I've been too busy to post this week, and I'll be including some photos too :smile:
Thank you :smile: Oxbridge is the dream haha, but I think it will be impossible for me to get in

Nothing is impossible! Are you at least going to apply? :smile:
Nothing is impossible! Are you at least going to apply? :smile:

Maybe, depending on my end of year grades. I'm definitely attending the open days though.
Maybe, depending on my end of year grades. I'm definitely attending the open days though.

Well that's good. You stand just as much chance as the next person! Best of luck and I can't wait to see your progress :smile:
Well that's good. You stand just as much chance as the next person! Best of luck and I can't wait to see your progress :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Good luck! :smile:
Weekly Recap

I have had a very busy week this week, so I haven't been able to post as much as I wanted to, so I'd thought I'd do a little recap.

History - To be honest, I've not been as productive as I perhaps should have been, because most of the work set I'd already done, and most of our lessons were guided study. One thing I am planning to do is to start making mind-maps, as I need to go over the earlier work, as there's so much to learn!
French - I have put so much work into French this week, as I didn't do as much over half-term. My French homework last night exhausted me, as it took me over 2 hours! However, I did get good marks on it, so I guess it paid off :smile: We've also started lessons with the speaking assistant, which is really useful, and it will definitely help with the speaking exam.
Law - I just did a test and got full marks, which I'm so happy about :biggrin:We've almost finished the Civil Stuff, and I'm looking forward to starting Law Making. I'm still finding Law the easiest at the moment.
Life in General - Life has been quite busy recently, and I've had little free time. I'm going to take this weekend slowly, just to do some extra work, get some much needed flute practice in and relax a bit. I'll probably watch a film, and do some baking.

I promise I will put some pictures up over the weekend of what I'm doing!
Hiya! Good luck with year 12 :h: I do French too and you're definitely not alone in finding the workload exhausting; it seems French teachers just love setting loads of homework :colonhash:
Original post by Sonechka
Hiya! Good luck with year 12 :h: I do French too and you're definitely not alone in finding the workload exhausting; it seems French teachers just love setting loads of homework :colonhash:

Must be a common trend then :biggrin:
I think it's because we have French every single day, and we have a vocab test every week as well. It is paying off though!
Good luck to you too :smile:
Must be a common trend then :biggrin:
I think it's because we have French every single day, and we have a vocab test every week as well. It is paying off though!
Good luck to you too :smile:

Wow, I'd probably collapse if I had it every day :eek: I only have one day without it, but I appreciate that day since I get considerably less homework on it :lol: I personally really dislike vocab tests; I hate learning (relatively advanced) French through English translations and find that if I learn a bunch of words for the sake of learning them, with no context, I'll just forget them almost immediately. I never revise for them for that reason! Everyone learns differently though :h: thanks ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest