The Student Room Group

Law at durham uni with btec?

Hi, was wondering if there is any chance of getting into durham uni to study law with D*D*D in a lvl 3 h&sc care BTEC and passing my LNAT's?? thanks!!
Original post by Cwilliams22
Hi, was wondering if there is any chance of getting into durham uni to study law with D*D*D in a lvl 3 h&sc care BTEC and passing my LNAT's?? thanks!!

Yes its on the web page for Law at Durham

https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/undergraduate/UKEquivalencies2016-17Nov2016.pdf
Yeah it is possible! I applied and got an offer; I am at Exeter now studying law after taking a BTEC so even if you decide Durham is not for you, other great places still accept you.
Reply 3

Thank you!!
Reply 4
Original post by Jemma_0897
Yeah it is possible! I applied and got an offer; I am at Exeter now studying law after taking a BTEC so even if you decide Durham is not for you, other great places still accept you.

Thanks for your answer! Just knowing someone in the same situation as me got a offer from Durham makes me feel a lot less anxious 😩 hope you're enjoying Exeter!!
Thanks for your answer! Just knowing someone in the same situation as me got a offer from Durham makes me feel a lot less anxious 😩 hope you're enjoying Exeter!!

Yes it is great thank you! Just ensure you do as much legal work as possible!!!
Reply 6
Yes it is great thank you! Just ensure you do as much legal work as possible!!!

I've been finding it difficult to find a place where they will take college students as they mainly want undergrads :curious: did you do any legal work?
I've been finding it difficult to find a place where they will take college students as they mainly want undergrads :curious: did you do any legal work?

So part of my BTEC course has a placement in, and I shadowed a barrister for a year there, and part of high school work experience I just went to my local criminal solicitor firm. I am from a small city, so may be easier opposed to a larger city for instance. May be worth contacting local courts to see if you can go in for work experience, from there you will meet solicitors/barristers so would be able to speak to them then.
So part of my BTEC course has a placement in, and I shadowed a barrister for a year there, and part of high school work experience I just went to my local criminal solicitor firm. I am from a small city, so may be easier opposed to a larger city for instance. May be worth contacting local courts to see if you can go in for work experience, from there you will meet solicitors/barristers so would be able to speak to them then.

Make sure you explicitly say you have intentions to go to Durham, as obviously that is a v impressive law school.
Personally I wouldnt bother with namedropping. makes you look like a fool, but go for it.
Work experience isnt essential as they are more interested in your academics and what you will be like as a student, as that is what you are applying for.

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending