The Student Room Group

can you study medicine for A-levels??

my friend told me that you could do medicine for A-levels but i checked all the 6 forms in my area and none of them really do medicine for A-levels i wanna become a doctor when im older so thats why i wanted to pick biology,chemistry and medicine but if there isn't medicine for a A-levels what other courses shall i do??
Reply 1
what could that other subject be???
Original post by k0zaf

Anything but not General Studies or critical thinking because they’re not seen as important a levels. Most universities prefer maths at a level.
I dont think there is a subject called 'medicine' but some sixth forms have enrichment programmes in medicine which are really useful, one sixth form that i know for sure has this is LAE 😊
Reply 4
Original post by k0zaf
my friend told me that you could do medicine for A-levels but i checked all the 6 forms in my area and none of them really do medicine for A-levels i wanna become a doctor when im older so thats why i wanted to pick biology,chemistry and medicine but if there isn't medicine for a A-levels what other courses shall i do??

Biology, Chemistry and Maths is the standard A Level combination for Medicine.
Original post by k0zaf

Hi there!

There's no 'Medicine' A-Level - most UK med schools require Biology, Chemistry and one other academic subject at A-Level.

You can find out more about which med schools require which subjects on our What A-Levels do I need to be a doctor? page.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Maths seems to be a popular choice. Otherwise, another 'facilitating' subject e.g. English Literature. General Studies/Critical Thinking are excluded from all (I think) medicine offers so don't pick either of these! :smile:
Original post by k0zaf

Maths is a good option
Just checked. There is no medicine a level

Quick Reply

Latest