The Student Room Group

NSAA thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by black1blade
I'm fairly sure I've heard ATs say they aim to have certain numbers of bio and phys though. I guess they might use chemistry as a way to directly compare physical and bio natscis though.

Interesting. We can ask in the next AT thread :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
Interesting. We can ask in the next AT thread :smile:

I distinctly remember christ's being like we aim to have about 12 physical natscis and on their site is says they aim to have 24-30 natscis a year. I think they did mention about having a lot of good phys natsci applicants so 14 got offers from christ's and 15 got pooled.
Reply 82
I distinctly remember christ's being like we aim to have about 12 physical natscis and on their site is says they aim to have 24-30 natscis a year. I think they did mention about having a lot of good phys natsci applicants so 14 got offers from christ's and 15 got pooled.

Hmm, I'm not sure that means they are in competition with each other but not in competition with the Bios.... but maybe it does...
Most (all?) colleges treat phys and bio natsci as separate subjects from an admissions perspective, so you wouldn't be in 'direct competition' as such. However, to some extent, you're competing against applicants in all other subjects, since numbers aren't fixed.
Original post by eloquent45
Me too! Biological applicant here :wink:

So we're direct competitors!

Ah cool ive applied for biological too, though hoping to do a mix of the modules across both physical and biological
I've asked an AT this myself, they said bio and physical natscis are not competing for the same spots.
I sent a FOI request for comparison of scores for NSAA (2016-2017 round) between the most common qualifications (A levels or IB) and some other European qualifications (German Abitur, French bac, Dutch leaving certificate etc). I'll put it here or on the cambridge applicant thread when I get an answer :h:
Original post by Student1256
I've asked an AT this myself, they said bio and physical natscis are not competing for the same spots.

Excellent. I mean I'd imagine there might be a bit of leeway, say if one of the cohort is unusually strong, they might add a few more places for one side in addition to the number they were already planning on giving.
Omg I did the specimen paper and last year's and thought this year's to be the most difficult…
Original post by Daryl Ryan
Did anyone else find the overall difficulty of the paper to be easier than last year? It seems that the questions were more straightforward. Was this done intentionally? Is it because last year's test was a little bit too difficult?
Original post by IcedArizona
I sent a FOI request for comparison of scores for NSAA (2016-2017 round) between the most common qualifications (A levels or IB) and some other European qualifications (German Abitur, French bac, Dutch leaving certificate etc). I'll put it here or on the cambridge applicant thread when I get an answer :h:

@IcedArizona did you hear anything back yet?
Hi guys, I'm looking to apply for ChemEng via NatSci for 2019 Entry and I'm starting to gear up for the NSAA. I will be taking Physical NatSci options. At current I am studying Maths, F. Maths and Chemistry... my question to you all is:

do I take Chemistry, Maths and 'Advanced Maths and Physics' on the admissions test OR Chemistry, Maths and Physics?

For further maths I am taking both Mechanics Modules and I will be reading up on Physics to patch my knowledge up as I am not taking the A Level, just I am unsure on which is the best way of doing it?
Original post by Anon4012
Hi guys, I'm looking to apply for ChemEng via NatSci for 2019 Entry and I'm starting to gear up for the NSAA. I will be taking Physical NatSci options. At current I am studying Maths, F. Maths and Chemistry... my question to you all is:

do I take Chemistry, Maths and 'Advanced Maths and Physics' on the admissions test OR Chemistry, Maths and Physics?

For further maths I am taking both Mechanics Modules and I will be reading up on Physics to patch my knowledge up as I am not taking the A Level, just I am unsure on which is the best way of doing it?

Think physics has got some AS physics in it but the advanced maths and physics is mostly mechanics. Best thing is to try questions from both and see which you do best in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending