The Student Room Group

Physics personal statement

Hi! I'm currently in the process of applying to universities, and I would like to study physics. I know what kind of stuff to include, the only issue is I don't know how to write it without it seeming like I'm listing off everything I've ever done...

And how are you supposed to start/conclude a personal statement?! I've spent weeks trying to figure out how! I was thinking of starting with one of my favourite quotes to add a bit of humour (“Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” -Richard Feynman), but I'm not sure if it will go down well with the admissions tutor.

Any advice would be gladly appreciated. :cry:
I haven't even started mine. I know how to write a good personal statement but depending on which university and course you're applying to, should I help the competition?
The Feynman quote is a little cliche tbh...also starting with a quote is a bit gauche.

Your PS is not so important for STEM subjects compared to getting good grades in the relevant subjects.

Just write about things you enjoyed learning about, and things you look forward to learning more about in future.
Reply 3
Original post by AstroStudent101
I haven't even started mine. I know how to write a good personal statement but depending on which university and course you're applying to, should I help the competition?

I'm applying to the University of Birmingham for physics. Helping the competition would be very much appreciated here. :banana2:
What are your 5 favourite things about physics that make your brain hurt but fascinate you at the same time? And that you want to fin....... I've said too much.
In Scotland at least universities keep recommending your PS to be >50-75% academic knowledge. Talk about books you've read, articles you've found interesting etc. And don't include cliche quotes.
Reply 6
Original post by AstroStudent101
What are your 5 favourite things about physics that make your brain hurt but fascinate you at the same time? And that you want to fin....... I've said too much.

I realise what you've risked here. And I want to thank you for it. :h:
Original post by cakeboi
Hi! I'm currently in the process of applying to universities, and I would like to study physics. I know what kind of stuff to include, the only issue is I don't know how to write it without it seeming like I'm listing off everything I've ever done...

And how are you supposed to start/conclude a personal statement?! I've spent weeks trying to figure out how! I was thinking of starting with one of my favourite quotes to add a bit of humour (“Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” -Richard Feynman), but I'm not sure if it will go down well with the admissions tutor.

Any advice would be gladly appreciated. :cry:

Firstly, don't use that quote. Not only is it cliche but it also tells them absolutely nothing about your personal motivation to study physics. If you include a quote (a lot of people say not to, although I did) then make sure there is actually a reason for using it.

Secondly, watch this video. It's excellent.
Reply 8
Original post by Plagioclase
Firstly, don't use that quote. Not only is it cliche but it also tells them absolutely nothing about your personal motivation to study physics. If you include a quote (a lot of people say not to, although I did) then make sure there is actually a reason for using it.

Secondly, watch this video. It's excellent.

That video was very helpful, thank you!
Original post by artful_lounger

Your PS is not so important for STEM subjects compared to getting good grades in the relevant subjects.

OP already missed Oxbridge application date, so I'm assuming he's not applying there. So TBH just like you said, it will be other factors that decide whether he gets an offer and it might be that they give a large number of offers and a low proportion of people actually meet it (e.g. maths) due to high requirements.

To OP, make sure you actually talk about why you want to study Physics, and talk about Physics. Don't go off on a tangent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending