The Student Room Group

Do I have enough points to apply for medicine at Liverpool?

At GCSE I got: 1A* , 7A's and 1B. For medicine at Liverpool you need 15 points to apply, I have got 17. The maximum amount of points is 18. Even though I have enough, would it even be possible to beat my competition? My B grade was in English language - I got an A* in paper 1 and an A* in paper two, however in my coursework my teacher gave me an E, which I found to be a little unfair considering the level of work put into them. Anyway this brought my grade down to a B. I have also shadowed both my sister (who is a doctor) remove a liver in surgery and a local GP. As well as a pharmacist, just in case!

With that said, is there even point in applying if I get 3A's at A Level and a reasonable UK CAT score? Thank you.
If you need 15 to apply then they won't disregard you based on the fact you don't have the maximum. They will assess the rest of your application, and look at it against other applicants too. I like to think they wouldn't get rid of a potentially excellent applicant based on the fact you're 1 short of having the top score. I'm sure there will be others in your situation and others with a lower score :smile: if the rest of your application is strong against Liverpool's requirements, you have as good of a chance as any.
Reply 2
Original post by Shane_laverty779
At GCSE I got: 1A* , 7A's and 1B. For medicine at Liverpool you need 15 points to apply, I have got 17. The maximum amount of points is 18. Even though I have enough, would it even be possible to beat my competition? My B grade was in English language - I got an A* in paper 1 and an A* in paper two, however in my coursework my teacher gave me an E, which I found to be a little unfair considering the level of work put into them. Anyway this brought my grade down to a B. I have also shadowed both my sister (who is a doctor) remove a liver in surgery and a local GP. As well as a pharmacist, just in case!

With that said, is there even point in applying if I get 3A's at A Level and a reasonable UK CAT score? Thank you.

Dont worry I got the same as in terms of points and I still got in! Its your interview, UKCAT and PS that they care about the most
Original post by Changing Skies
If you need 15 to apply then they won't disregard you based on the fact you don't have the maximum. They will assess the rest of your application, and look at it against other applicants too. I like to think they wouldn't get rid of a potentially excellent applicant based on the fact you're 1 short of having the top score. I'm sure there will be others in your situation and others with a lower score :smile: if the rest of your application is strong against Liverpool's requirements, you have as good of a chance as any.[/QUO

Thank you so much ! I have a sister who does medicine as well so kinda wanna keep the tradition going - as well as the fact that I'm really intrigued about the body! :excited:
Original post by Aisosa
Dont worry I got the same as in terms of points and I still got in! Its your interview, UKCAT and PS that they care about the most

Hi, I was wondering as you got an offer from Liverpool- as I’ve heard they ps heavy so what do they look for in a personal statement?

Also as I’m in year 12, what advice would you give me in terms of medicine application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending