The Student Room Group

Anthropology and Law at LSE

Hi.
I have applied to LSE for the course of Anthropology and Law. However, I have opted only for law in the other 4 universities I have applied to. I just realised that, in my personal statement, I have mainly focused on law, and not anthropology. Is that really bad? do i still have a chance to get an offer? I could really use the help.

Thank you!
Reply 1
I don't want to make you feel bad but Law & anthro at LSE is an extremely popular course and there are only limited places.

Due to the lower grade requirements (I believe it's AAB but I may be wrong) quite a lot of people interested in law apply as a backup option in case they miss their grades for their other unis.

For that reason I believe that LSE will be selecting based upon genuine interest in law AND anthropology when choosing who will fill up their approx. 15 spaces.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I wouldn't be too hopeful of an offer.

Good luck with your other unis!
Original post by asox
I don't want to make you feel bad but Law & anthro at LSE is an extremely popular course and there are only limited places.

Due to the lower grade requirements (I believe it's AAB but I may be wrong) quite a lot of people interested in law apply as a backup option in case they miss their grades for their other unis.

For that reason I believe that LSE will be selecting based upon genuine interest in law AND anthropology when choosing who will fill up their approx. 15 spaces.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I wouldn't be too hopeful of an offer.

Good luck with your other unis!

Thank you for all your help!
They receive about 10 applications for each spot, so it is quite competitive It's not actually that "popular" - last year receiving 168 applications - but it has very few places available. As above, it gets a lot of applications from those who think they won't be able to get into the LLB, however the application/acceptance ratios aren't much difference - while the BA is about 50% higher, 50% of a small number is still a small number...

While they may offer some leeway due to there being fewer QLD Law and/with Anthropology courses available in general (I would be honestly somewhat surprised if there were as many as five), but they will probably expect to see some discussion of that aspect of the course. This might be in terms of discussing cultural approaches and interpretations of law and how this relates to for example international law disputes, or working in the legal sector in another country (e.g. empathy with clients, understanding how what judges want to see in a court room - particularly for e.g. civil vs common law). These are all relevant things to discuss for a single honours LLB, but would help demonstrate some awareness of the anthropological aspects.
Original post by artful_lounger
They receive about 10 applications for each spot, so it is quite competitive It's not actually that "popular" - last year receiving 168 applications - but it has very few places available. As above, it gets a lot of applications from those who think they won't be able to get into the LLB, however the application/acceptance ratios aren't much difference - while the BA is about 50% higher, 50% of a small number is still a small number...

While they may offer some leeway due to there being fewer QLD Law and/with Anthropology courses available in general (I would be honestly somewhat surprised if there were as many as five), but they will probably expect to see some discussion of that aspect of the course. This might be in terms of discussing cultural approaches and interpretations of law and how this relates to for example international law disputes, or working in the legal sector in another country (e.g. empathy with clients, understanding how what judges want to see in a court room - particularly for e.g. civil vs common law). These are all relevant things to discuss for a single honours LLB, but would help demonstrate some awareness of the anthropological aspects.

Would you be willing to look at my Law and anthropology statement to see if it explores both subjects well?
Original post by ArchieHunt
Would you be willing to look at my Law and anthropology statement to see if it explores both subjects well?

This thread is nearly two years old; please don't bump old threads.

As far as having your personal statement reviewed, TSR has a dedicated PS review service which is free and confidential, which you can find here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1372

That forum has dedicated PS reviewers who can provide specific advice, and that forum is hidden so your personal statement won't be cached by google (as if you post it elsewhere on the site it will be cached and flagged as plagiarism by the UCAS plagiarism detector).

Latest