Henry VIII and his Ministers
The American West
Weimar & Nazi Germany

Year 10:
In the end of Unit for Medicine I got a 5
In the end of Unit for Henry I got a 7
In the mocks for Medicine I got a 5 again and I dropped to a 6 in Henry
Year11:
My teacher decided that an end of unit for American West wasn’t necessary (which freaks me out)
Now I’m currently studying Germany

I’m quite academic, I’m part of G&T and I’m within the top 20 students in the year. Based on KS2 data my target is a 7.

However, I find remembering content quite easy but struggle with exam technique. Whilst in the exam I feel like I’m making excellent explanations but when I get my paper back to my teacher they’re not good. Meeting A02 is stressful. My teacher is adamant I can reach my target though.

Can anyone share their experience with GCSE history please? Good or bad and Why do you think you’re doing well and why do you think you’re struggling.

Scroll to see replies

i feel the same as you, Im studying Weimar and Nazi Germany, Crime and Punishment, American West and Anglo-Saxon England. The content is just too much to process...

We haven't even started to study Crime and Punishment and am only halfway through Anglo-Saxon England and our entire class is in a meltdown lol. My teacher is littlerly trying to rush as fast as possible through the content and then set compulsory after school sessions to help us revise and go ingot more depth on topics we didn't quite understand. Im not really that worried because my school has 25% higher results in history than the national average and the grade boundaries are almost guaranteed to be low.

My teacher gives us revision notes which contain paragraph structures for each question which are quite useful to remember. You could ask your teacher for something like this because they basically guarantee full marks if you do the structured answers alongside a few facts. GOOD LUCK :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by libbyfirmstone
i feel the same as you, Im studying Weimar and Nazi Germany, Crime and Punishment, American West and Anglo-Saxon England. The content is just too much to process...

We haven't even started to study Crime and Punishment and am only halfway through Anglo-Saxon England and our entire class is in a meltdown lol. My teacher is littlerly trying to rush as fast as possible through the content and then set compulsory after school sessions to help us revise and go ingot more depth on topics we didn't quite understand. Im not really that worried because my school has 25% higher results in history than the national average and the grade boundaries are almost guaranteed to be low.

My teacher gives us revision notes which contain paragraph structures for each question which are quite useful to remember. You could ask your teacher for something like this because they basically guarantee full marks if you do the structured answers alongside a few facts. GOOD LUCK :smile:

Yeah you’re not the only one that’s being rushed. We had to finish small sections of work on our own in Summer booklets for American West and we had a small halfterm booklet for Germany. And we are constantly being rushed because the teachers are struggling with the demands of the new spec as well because of all the content. Good luck to you too!
Reply 3
Honestly I think history isn't too bad as long as you know all of the content.
The topics im doing are

-USA 1920s-1970s
-The Cold War
-Elizabethan
-Medicine through time

In my opinion history is one of those subjects where a lot of it is memory based. I've also noticed that the way you structure your paragraphs is really important.
Like the other day we had a 'write an account' question and I wrote pretty much everything but because of the way I structured it and not explaining ALL of the consequences I lost marks.

I find Cold War the hardest because theres so many dates you have to remember.
My mocks last year went alright, I ended up getting a 6 and I was about 2 marks of a 7.
The exam was usa and Cold War and it was SO hard, the questions were worded so weirdly and it wasn't clear what you had to write about.
What bothers me most is that in my mocks in like 3 weeks, were doing usa and Cold War again, were not doing Elizabethan, which makes no sense how are we meant to know how were doing? we haven't even done medicine yet so its stressful lmao
Reply 4
Original post by Lottie_x
Honestly I think history isn't too bad as long as you know all of the content.
The topics im doing are

-USA 1920s-1970s
-The Cold War
-Elizabethan
-Medicine through time

In my opinion history is one of those subjects where a lot of it is memory based. I've also noticed that the way you structure your paragraphs is really important.
Like the other day we had a 'write an account' question and I wrote pretty much everything but because of the way I structured it and not explaining ALL of the consequences I lost marks.

I find Cold War the hardest because theres so many dates you have to remember.
My mocks last year went alright, I ended up getting a 6 and I was about 2 marks of a 7.
The exam was usa and Cold War and it was SO hard, the questions were worded so weirdly and it wasn't clear what you had to write about.
What bothers me most is that in my mocks in like 3 weeks, were doing usa and Cold War again, were not doing Elizabethan, which makes no sense how are we meant to know how were doing? we haven't even done medicine yet so its stressful lmao

Medicine is a really long topic but I’m sure your teachers know what they’re doing and have left enough time for revision. Yeah I agree structure is important. Although I’m struggling I’m not struggling like most of my year group. Are all history classes up to the same point because that’s probably why Elizabethan isn’t in it maybe? Well done with your mock results all the best with the real thing!
Reply 5
I'm currently doing Anglo-Saxon England and im really struggling, none of it makes sense anymore. Does anyone know what a key feature of an earldom is. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 6
Original post by arty500
I'm currently doing Anglo-Saxon England and im really struggling, none of it makes sense anymore. Does anyone know what a key feature of an earldom is. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Edexcel have come out with revision guides ; I think there is an Anglo Saxon one have a look . Hope it helps
Reply 7
Original post by Shammahx
Medicine is a really long topic but I’m sure your teachers know what they’re doing and have left enough time for revision. Yeah I agree structure is important. Although I’m struggling I’m not struggling like most of my year group. Are all history classes up to the same point because that’s probably why Elizabethan isn’t in it maybe? Well done with your mock results all the best with the real thing!

Thank you!
And yeah, we're all doing Elizabeth. I think teachers think we won't be able to finish the topic before our mock/ so it would be bad grades, thats probably why.
Reply 8
Downloading the mark schemes alongside the practice papers can be so useful. They give examples of different answers and how each answer would score; it gives a real insight into where you're losing marks.
Im doing:
Weimar and Nazi Germany
medicine
Arab Israeli conflict
Elizabeth

Im mostly struggling with remembering all the dates and my mocks are next week !
I think mind maps are super useful for all the topics .
Reply 10
I'm doing Medicine through time, Reigns of King Richard and John, The American West and USA Conflict at Home and Abroad
Basically we do so much contenet in class that I don't even know what any of the exam questions are for papers 1 and 3, and I have my mock on the American West next week and still have no idea how to answer the consequence, importance and narrative questions. Does anybody know how? A little help please!!!!!
I’ve done history in the past, found it quite boring tbh 😂😂
I’m doing the course as well but studying crime and punishment through time, Weimar and Nazi Germany, Superper relations and Henry VIII and his ministers. Overall, I’m finding it fairly easy because my teachers have drilled exam technique into us from day 1 as well as covering content at a quick rate. I’m not sure about Henry VIII and his minsters because we haven’t started it yet.

We haven’t done any end of unit tests but I got 7 & 8 in the end of year tests last year.
Erm I haven’t started nazi germany. I’m predicted a grade 7 but currently underachieving with a grade 4 . It is so difficult I really struggle with taking in the information it’s just too much . Someone help me !!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
I'm so glad to hear that others are in the same boat as I am.
I will be studying the following components: Medicine through time, Anglo Saxons, Weimar/Nazi Germany, the American West.

Since we all seem to be stuck, let's try and tackle the problem together.
What revision resources are you guys using? I've just ordered a few revision guides, and hopefully they'll drag me out of the issues I'm suffering atm.
Original post by Mikos
I'm so glad to hear that others are in the same boat as I am.
I will be studying the following components: Medicine through time, Anglo Saxons, Weimar/Nazi Germany, the American West.

Since we all seem to be stuck, let's try and tackle the problem together.
What revision resources are you guys using? I've just ordered a few revision guides, and hopefully they'll drag me out of the issues I'm suffering atm.

For me I quite like using the My Revision Notes revision guides as they are quite concise and they have have a variety of revision activities in them.
Original post by Shammahx
The topics I study are:
Medicine Through Time
Henry VIII and his Ministers
The American West
Weimar & Nazi Germany

Year 10:
In the end of Unit for Medicine I got a 5
In the end of Unit for Henry I got a 7
In the mocks for Medicine I got a 5 again and I dropped to a 6 in Henry
Year11:
My teacher decided that an end of unit for American West wasn’t necessary (which freaks me out)
Now I’m currently studying Germany

I’m quite academic, I’m part of G&T and I’m within the top 20 students in the year. Based on KS2 data my target is a 7.

However, I find remembering content quite easy but struggle with exam technique. Whilst in the exam I feel like I’m making excellent explanations but when I get my paper back to my teacher they’re not good. Meeting A02 is stressful. My teacher is adamant I can reach my target though.

Can anyone share their experience with GCSE history please? Good or bad and Why do you think you’re doing well and why do you think you’re struggling.

woow i think you are on target as you are not far behind a grade 7. i would recommend doing past papers every 2 days and get your teacher to mark it. this will help as you will get used to the techniques and in the exam it would feel normal. lol you compared to me you are quite clever as im only on grade 4 and only because i knew the questions and memorised the answers. i struggle alot with history as my teacher is very strict, even the naughty children dont even talk in her class like always the class room is quite and shes just explaining. but i hope my tip helps even though i dont do it myself
Hey, I study the exact same topics as you apart from the Henry and his ministers one, instead, I study Elizabethan England. And yes, i'm finding the course quite hard too, there is so much content to learn in so little time. Best of luck to you xxx:smile:
omg yes, i'm exactly the same since i can very easily absorb the information and remember it but i can't seem to get it all in a cohesive and efficient way on the paper; as a result, i end up losing lots of mark and i'm currently a grade 6 for history although i was aiming for an 8 i feel that's impractical. I don't know why but i just don't even like history anymore, i don't enjoy it at all and my teacher doesn't really help make lessons more engaging to be honest. I'm so worried for history and i have my mock tomorrow
i'm doing;
Medicine through time (we spent almost 2 terms on this and still haven't done surgery through time, i find this topic in particular so tedious to revise)
Early Elizabethan England
Weimar Germany and Nazis
and i dont even know the last topic
Omg medicine is the worst isn’t it! We’re currently on the American West and we’re going onto Nazi Germany as soon as possible I think. And yeah medicine is really hard isn’t it, I’m too aiming for a high grade but I think if there was one topic that would postpone that it would be the medicine unit. Best of luck on your mock today! Let me know how it went.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending