The Student Room Group

Who would UK mainlanders on here vote for if they were living in Northern Ireland??

Poll

Who would you vote for if you were living in Northern Ireland

I'm just curious to see how people on the British mainland would vote if any of you here were living in Northern Ireland??

I'm going to put up a brief summary on the traditional 'big 5' just to help you.

DUP
Pro British, Pro Unionist, socially conservative, economic moderates, pro-life, opposes gay marriage, staunchly pro Brexit/Anti-EU, climate change sceptics, pro orange culture/marches, pro death penalty, vehemently opposes any prosecutions into British army/state forces during the troubles.

UUP
Pro British, Pro Unionist, more economically conservative, marginally less socially conservative (a lot of their members are still in the Orange Order though). Strongly aligned with the UK Conservative party. Originally opposed Brexit, but now supports it as of 2017. Not that different to the DUP really.

Alliance Party
'Officially' neutral on Northern Ireland's position in the UK, although they are widely perceived as leaning unionist and thus being coined a 'liberal unionist' party. Socially liberal, pro LGBT, lean pro-choice, economically liberal, Pro-EU/opposes Brexit, pro immigration, pro climate change, pro integration/integrated education. Strongly aligned with the UK liberal Democrats. Most of their votes come from NI's protestant/unionist community (around 70%), most of their party members are protestants and thus perform better in unionist areas.

SDLP
Pro Irish, Pro United Ireland, opposed violence from the IRA and other republican groups during the troubles. Pro-LGBT, pro-life with some exceptions, economically liberal, pro EU/opposes Brexit, pro Irish language, pro immigration. Aligned with the UK Labour party (although do break from them occasionally, e.g. voted against Iraq war).

Sinn Fein
Pro Irish, Pro United Ireland, supports ending the ongoing 'British occupation of Ireland', supported IRA violence against the British state during the troubles and are widely perceived as political wing of the IRA, many of their members are convicted ex IRA members. Pro-LGBT, lean Pro-life although moderating, Pro EU/opposes Brexit, pro immigration, economically very liberal (some members have Marxist sympathies), pro Irish language. Enthusiastically supports prosecutions into the British Army/British state forces during the troubles. Abstentionist (Refuse to swear allegiance to the Queen).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sure some party members on here will take offense to what I have written about their party but its largely accurate. I couldn't be bothered to include Greens or TUV as they're largely irrelevant.

So, if you were living in Northern Ireland, and HAD to vote out of these 5 parties who would vote for?? Some labour supporters might see that the SDLP are aligned with the UK labour party, but be careful they're against NI being part of the UK, so if you are pro British/pro Union Labour voter, then they will oppose you on that viewpoint.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

As the NI vote is little more than a council election, few people on here care enough to know anything about the NI parties.
Reply 2
DUP. Anything to stop the IRA coming first.
Original post by Sharpshooter
I'm just curious to see how people on the British mainland would vote if any of you here were living in Northern Ireland??

I'm going to put up a brief summary on the traditional 'big 5' just to help you.

DUP
Pro British, Pro Unionist, socially conservative, economic moderates, pro-life, opposes gay marriage, staunchly pro Brexit/Anti-EU, climate change sceptics, pro orange culture/marches, pro death penalty, vehemently opposes any prosecutions into British army/state forces during the troubles.

UUP
Pro British, Pro Unionist, more economically conservative, marginally less socially conservative (a lot of their members are still in the Orange Order though). Strongly aligned with the UK Conservative party. Originally opposed Brexit, but now supports it as of 2017. Not that different to the DUP really.

Alliance Party
'Officially' neutral on Northern Ireland's position in the UK, although they are widely perceived as leaning unionist and thus being coined a 'liberal unionist' party. Socially liberal, pro LGBT, lean pro-choice, economically liberal, Pro-EU/opposes Brexit, pro immigration, pro climate change, pro integration/integrated education. Strongly aligned with the UK liberal Democrats. Most of their votes come from NI's protestant/unionist community (around 70%), most of their party members are protestants and thus perform better in unionist areas.

SDLP
Pro Irish, Pro United Ireland, opposed violence from the IRA and other republican groups during the troubles. Pro-LGBT, pro-life with some exceptions, economically liberal, pro EU/opposes Brexit, pro Irish language, pro immigration. Aligned with the UK Labour party (although do break from them occasionally, e.g. voted against Iraq war).

Sinn Fein
Pro Irish, Pro United Ireland, supports ending the ongoing 'British occupation of Ireland', supported IRA violence against the British state during the troubles and are widely perceived as political wing of the IRA, many of their members are convicted ex IRA members. Pro-LGBT, lean Pro-life although moderating, Pro EU/opposes Brexit, pro immigration, economically very liberal (some members have Marxist sympathies), pro Irish language. Enthusiastically supports prosecutions into the British Army/British state forces during the troubles. Abstentionist (Refuse to swear allegiance to the Queen).
I'm sure some party members on here will take offense to what I have written about their party but its largely accurate. I couldn't be bothered to include Greens or TUV as they're largely irrelevant.

So, if you were living in Northern Ireland, and HAD to vote out of these 5 parties who would vote for?? Some labour supporters might see that the SDLP are aligned with the UK labour party, but be careful they're against NI being part of the UK, so if you are pro British/pro Union Labour voter, then they will oppose you on that viewpoint.

Why do i feel that all those options are sh*t... big up, there should be better options - right?
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
As the NI vote is little more than a council election, few people on here care enough to know anything about the NI parties.

Well they were important enough that they got a billion from UK taxpayers to help prop up the current government!
Original post by Sharpshooter
Well they were important enough that they got a billion from UK taxpayers to help prop up the current government!

I know. The entire future of the UK Government was dependent upon Northern Ireland. And all they managed to get out of it was £1 billion.
I would find it really hard. While I prefer Sinn Fein's views on Gay Marriage and the rights/social side of things. I hate to say it, but I would vote the DUP as they are very pro-union and I would trust them more than Sinn Fein on keeping a united Ireland. There are all pretty bad options though and I completely disagree with their stance on abortions and gay marriage,
I put Sinn Fein, but not exactly enthusiastically. I'm not really bothered about a United Ireland, I mainly like Sinn Fein's social policies, though it really bugs me how in the Republic of Ireland, Sinn Fein play the role of a strongly left-wing party that I'd like to vote for, but in Northern Ireland, they largely just want to copy whatever the Irish government is doing so they can create more uniformity across the border.
Alliance
Reply 9
@Airmed invaluable research material, right here! :wink:
I would vote for whoever had a realistic chance of keeping the terrorists out of power so likely the DUP.
Reply 11
Original post by Doonesbury
@Airmed invaluable research material, right here! :wink:

:rofl:

Aye, sure it is :tongue:

Don't remind me of my dissertation woes :eek:
Reply 12
Also, on a serious note: the terrorist talk? No wonder N.I is in the shithole. That sort of talk is getting us no where, it's archaic and useless talk.
Reply 13
The blurb at the start notwithstanding, I do think that the UUP are very different to the DUP and far less of a populist, socially conservative party. As a liberal unionist, I would probably be most inclined to identify with them. As much as the prospect of splitting the unionist vote and letting Sinn Fein in by the back door pains me, I would never vote DUP.

The Alliance, again often disappointing, but I might be inclined to give them a punt.

Ultimately though, I'm a Conservative and the Conservatives stand in elections in NI. I appreciate it's a different political climate, but I'd be slightly hypocritical if I didn't vote Tory in a certain area just because they're not popular.
Reply 14
Original post by L i b
Ultimately though, I'm a Conservative and the Conservatives stand in elections in NI. I appreciate it's a different political climate, but I'd be slightly hypocritical if I didn't vote Tory in a certain area just because they're not popular.

Barely. I don't think they even had candidates in the Assembly, never mind the GE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Sinn Fein.
Reply 16
Barely. I don't think they even had candidates in the Assembly, never mind the GE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They stood in 13 out of the 18 Assembly constituencies last time and 7 of the 18 constituencies in the general election. Not exactly stellar - I think they have to stand everywhere to be a serious force - but again, on principle, you can hardly change your party allegiance just because of where you live in the country.
Reply 17
Original post by L i b
They stood in 13 out of the 18 Assembly constituencies last time and 7 of the 18 constituencies in the general election. Not exactly stellar - I think they have to stand everywhere to be a serious force - but again, on principle, you can hardly change your party allegiance just because of where you live in the country.

interesting. Thats a few lost deposits then :wink:
interesting. Thats a few lost deposits then :wink:

There's a certain irony that to win NI they'd have to essentially put up with giving Sinn Feinn every seat while they got a handle on the other unionist parties.

With the parties so weakly supported though normally (i think the DUP won the assembly with 29%) i think NI could be taken.
SDLP or Sinn Fein.

Voted SDLP on here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending