The Student Room Group

Why does every TSR member have 4 A*s at A-Level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
UCL graduate here, you mad? :cool:

LMAO 😂 is it really that hard to get in to?
Probably because people on this are trying to work out the best way to do things, so they are the ones who are getting better grades.
Reply 22
Original post by Texxers
I swear to god every person of TSR claims to have A*A*A*A*A* predicted grades and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AS levels. Applies to Oxford, UCL, Imperial.

Not everyone does.

Will 4a*s(bio,chem,physics,maths),4as,1b suffice for ucl mechanical or chemical engineering.Also, what about medicine?I know A levels are more important but will these igcses(considered harder than normal gcses) suffice?
Reply 24

Yeah, I'm mad.
It's just because you get all the people who post these "Can I get into oxbridge thread" when they have the same amount of A Stars as the milky way galaxy, just to boost their ego.
The people who get better grades tend to be more vocal about it.
Original post by GovernmentEarner
I doubt most of them are lying. I got A*A*A* quite conformably from a crappy comp and probably could have done 1-2 more A Levels (tried to do 4 wasn't allowed lol). 2,000/300,000 people every year get 3A*+ across the UK. Realistically a lot of them will come onto TSR, particularly those who are applying to Oxbridge, those forums are very popular.

I don't really know what else you'd expect on a student forum, its quite normal to see people interested in education and excelling in it.

surely 30000 not 300000? XD
They’re piss poor grades as far as UCL is concerned tbh. You should have at least 6 A*s at A level, preferably 9 to set you apart from the competition.

Not in the mood for sarcastic jokes.As you're my senior who graduated from ucl,I respectfully asked you what my chances were.I ask you again,with utmost respect that do I even have any chance since the competition is so high?I need help as I am an International candidate.
Also plenty of people with 4A* predicted don't get into cambridge. I mean I've never made a thread about it though, just talked in the relevant forums. I guess people know what they are getting into when they click on the cambridge 2018 thread XD.
Reply 29
They’re piss poor grades as far as UCL is concerned tbh. You should have at least 6 A*s at A level, preferably 9 to set you apart from the competition.

Yep, clearly not good enough.
Reply 30
Original post by arizonaidiot
Not in the mood for sarcastic jokes.As you're my senior who graduated from ucl,I respectfully asked you what my chances were.I ask you again,with utmost respect that do I even have any chance since the competition is so high?I need help as I am an International candidate.

4A* obviously you stand a chance then. @Plantagenet Crown probably thought you were being sarcastic since 4A* is above UCL's requirements. I mean it'll depend on your course. MechEng is more competitive usually than ChemEng.

Yeah don't worry you have a really good chance :wink:
I got an offer from UCL for EEE (AAA) without an interview.
Original post by Texxers
I swear to god every person of TSR claims to have A*A*A*A*A* predicted grades and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AS levels. Applies to Oxford, UCL, Imperial.

I was predicted A*AA and got A*A*A* and now I’m at UCL , I only did 3 a levels though
Original post by pinkypaz123
And yet they still wonder whether they have a chance of getting into Oxbridge

TBF to them getting 4 A*'s doesn't guarantee a place at Oxbridge. They could have a terrible interview, a terrible PS/reference etc. IK someone who got 4 A*'s, but he had terrible GCSEs, a terrible interview and a terrible personal statement.
Original post by Black Water
4A* obviously you stand a chance then. @Plantagenet Crown probably thought you were being sarcastic since 4A* is above UCL's requirements. I mean it'll depend on your course. MechEng is more competitive usually than ChemEng.

I got 4a*,4as and 1b in igcses, not a levels.
Original post by black1blade
surely 30000 not 300000? XD

Nope. 335,000 people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland take A Levels every year :smile:
I only have one A level, and I only got a B. :emo: :cry2:
Will 4a*s(bio,chem,physics,maths),4as,1b suffice for ucl mechanical or chemical engineering.Also, what about medicine?I know A levels are more important but will these igcses(considered harder than normal gcses) suffice?

My GCSE grades are similar to your ones. I applied for chemical engineering at UCL at the end of September and I got a conditional offer from them a week ago without being called for an interview. I believe that you have a strong chance of getting an offer if you make sure your personal statement is really good and you do well in the first year of A levels.
Original post by Just Somebody
My GCSE grades are similar to your ones. I applied for chemical engineering at UCL at the end of September and I got a conditional offer from them a week ago without being called for an interview. I believe that you have a strong chance of getting an offer if you make sure your personal statement is really good and you do well in the first year of A levels.

Thank you brother:smile:.Don't know why the guy above took my statement as sarcasm,when obviously,I asked a genuine question.
Thank you brother:smile:.Don't know why the guy above took my statement as sarcasm,when obviously,I asked a genuine question.

You're welcome.
I'm a girl by the way :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending