The Student Room Group

Is there too much focus on GCSEs?

I know they're important, mostly to get into college and sixth form but after that do they really matter, and wouldn't it be better then, too focus down to do just that ones that you need to get into the college course as well as English and maths for example?
unless you were applying to oxbridge , i dont think so
Original post by Ray_Shadows
unless you were applying to oxbridge , i dont think so

would 4a*(bio,chem,physics,maths),4as,1b suffice for engineering or medicine at southampton or ucl?Provided I do good in a levels?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by arizonaidiot
would 4a*(bio,chem,physics,maths),4as,1b suffice for engineering or medicine at southampton or ucl?Provided I do good in a levels?

oh yeh for course like medicine and engineering gcse matter alot , share em
oh yeh for course like medicine and engineering gcse matter alot , share em

So are they good enough?
So are they good enough?

no ur gcse's matter for them
no ur gcse's matter for them

I'm sorry,I don't get what your saying.
I'm sorry,I don't get what your saying.

just tell me what ur gcses are
Original post by ray_shadows
just tell me what ur gcses are

a* physics
a* maths
a* biology
a* chemistry
a pakistan studies history and geography
a english language
a religious studies
a world history
b urdu language
a* physics
a* maths
a* biology
a* chemistry
a pakistan studies history and geography
a english language
a religious studies
a world history
b urdu language

i think u could be alright for medicine at Southampton
Original post by MusicMeister24
I know they're important, mostly to get into college and sixth form but after that do they really matter, and wouldn't it be better then, too focus down to do just that ones that you need to get into the college course as well as English and maths for example?

Definitely take them seriously! Study hard and focus on doing as well in them as you can but don't sweat it so much that you become a walking ball of stress. A-levels are far more important when it comes to applying for universities. One thing I would say though is that top universities often look for a certain number of As and A*s when making conditional offers. Many universities also look at your GCSE grades and predicted A-level grades and if they're all quite high then you have a much better chance of getting an unconditional offer come application time!
(edited 6 years ago)
Well, GCSEs are very important especially if you want to get higher grades.
I find gcse are soo overated especially once uve been through the education system. The pressures they put u through as well. I have to agree though they are important but unless u want to go to oxford/cambridge or want to do A levels then dont stress on getting straight A* on all ur exams. I wasnt one of those ppl. All i cared about was passing so got majority Bs than anything else. I didnt know what i wanted to be so by the time i got to uni i knew i wasnt gunna be no vet unless i got a B/A in maths. ( that wasnt happening)

The main things university want to see is that u passed math n english. Unless ur studying history or a scientific course then generic grades will do. Aim for pass grade and above.

If u do want to be a doctor or want to study medicine u needs A/Bs To apply to get onto A levels. Im doing a creative course so needed A/B. Some unis do let u get in with C and Ds so no worries. As long as u can show them u can do the work they will give u the chance.
Original post by cresselle
I find gcse are soo overated especially once uve been through the education system. The pressures they put u through as well. I have to agree though they are important but unless u want to go to oxford/cambridge or want to do A levels then dont stress on getting straight A* on all ur exams. I wasnt one of those ppl. All i cared about was passing so got majority Bs than anything else. I didnt know what i wanted to be so by the time i got to uni i knew i wasnt gunna be no vet unless i got a B/A in maths. ( that wasnt happening)

The main things university want to see is that u passed math n english. Unless ur studying history or a scientific course then generic grades will do. Aim for pass grade and above.

If u do want to be a doctor or want to study medicine u needs A/Bs To apply to get onto A levels. Im doing a creative course so needed A/B. Some unis do let u get in with C and Ds so no worries. As long as u can show them u can do the work they will give u the chance.

Absolutely agree, Cs and above (and even Ds tbh) are perfectly fine grades to get into College and most sixth forms want Bs. From there, there are all sorts of unis and all sorst of entry requirements. Unless you're wanting to do medicine/vetinary etc or go to oxbridge, GCSEs don't matter too much at all!

Those aren't heavy on GCSEs so yes.

Medical schools have wildly different entry requirements so you need to do your research thoroughly. For example, your GCSEs are not good enough for Oxford and Cardiff specifically, but they would be ok for Cambridge... it just depends what they look for.
Those GCSEs are probably fine. People have probably gotten into Oxbridge with less.
There may be more emphasis on GCSEs now for Unis since there are no AS Levels, but overall its still not THAT significantly important if you get high A Level grades for examles like As/A*s, the only time they'll look at GCSEs is if you and another person got the same Grades for A Levels and your both strong candidates (good statements and stuff on applications and etc), so they'll resort to GCSEs as a deciding factor. People tend to take Post 16 qualifications more seriously as you're more mature then.
Reply 17
Original post by MusicMeister24

GCSE's are very important. Focus on the ones you need, but don't forget about the others, as the best universities, like Oxbridge, will care about GCSE's as well, so TBH yes, they are as important as everyone says they are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending