The Student Room Group

Should I quit my job in year 12

I’m desperate for help! I’ve been looking for a job for ages now as I really couldn’t afford a lot and hated taking from my parents. I finally got accepted to this really posh restaurant and I was buzzing. I’ve been working there just over a month and I do enjoy it. The problem is I’m struggling to balance it with work . Up until now I’ve working two days a week and about 16 hours, which was fine because that meant I would have Sunday or Friday of to do my work , but now my boss has given me Friday 5pm-11 pm , Saturday 12am-11pm and Sunday 12am-6pm , and I’m really stressed because I have so much to do. On the other hand is it maybe worth me trying more during the week to be as productive as I can and then work and save up now and quit before my summer exams so I have time . I only get £4 an hour and the occasional tip. I do really enjoy the job and I need the money a lot but what do I do ?
Are you able to explain your situation to your boss and change your hours?

If you can't do this, and working comes at the expense of your studying, you may have to consider looking for another job with better hours or quitting.
Reply 2
I’m going to have to speak to him on Friday and I’ll work Friday, Saturday, Sunday next week but then ask if I can only do two days the following weeks, the thing is I’m scared he will fire me because of it.
thats not worth £4 per hour
Reply 4
12am to 11pm that’s 23 hours, do you mean midday to 11pm.
Reply 5
Original post by Shammahx
12am to 11pm that’s 23 hours, do you mean midday to 11pm.

Hahaha yeah by accident. Meant 12pm-11pm over all working 22 hours that weekend
wait wait, you only get paid £4 an hour? At your age your minimum pay should be £6 at least :/ I get paid £8.20 working at sainsburys doing 12 hours a week.....
Reply 7
Original post by mistypoison
wait wait, you only get paid £4 an hour? At your age your minimum pay should be £6 at least :/ I get paid £8.20 working at sainsburys doing 12 hours a week.....

Unfortunately minimum wage for under 18’s is £4
Original post by Ellieba
Unfortunately minimum wage for under 18’s is £4

yes but most places usually pay atleast £6
Reply 9
Original post by faloodeh
yes but most places usually pay atleast £6

Don’t know my last two jobs have been minimum wage.
Start applying for other jobs in the meantime but speak to your manager and explain that unless your hours are reduced or your pay is increased you will regretfully have to leave

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending