The Student Room Group

Anyone interested in Cyber security?

Anyone on here have an interest in cyber security .. are you studying cyber security or is it just a hobby? Any tips for a newbie? 😬

Scroll to see replies

I'm so interested in cyber security!! It's definitely what I want to go into in the future as a career. I'm a 16 year old girl and I'm taking Digital Technology in school, and I really am looking for tips and advice on how to learn more outside of school as my subject doesn't focus on programming as much as I would like it to hahah
Original post by sarah.mcm
I'm so interested in cyber security!! It's definitely what I want to go into in the future as a career. I'm a 16 year old girl and I'm taking Digital Technology in school, and I really am looking for tips and advice on how to learn more outside of school as my subject doesn't focus on programming as much as I would like it to hahah

Start by using a Linux distro (if you haven't switched already) instead of Windows will force you to learn new things.

Programming wise, start by watching YouTube tutorials and try and come up with useful projects.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Start by using a Linux distro (if you haven't switched already) instead of Windows will force you to learn new things.

Programming wise, start by watching YouTube tutorials and try and come up with useful projects.

What type of projects would you recommend? And what YouTube videos would be best for a beginner: I have a fair knowledge of HTML and CSS programming but that's about it. What I want to learn most about is things in the area of cyber security and ethical hacking. Thank you!
What type of projects would you recommend? And what YouTube videos would be best for a beginner: I have a fair knowledge of HTML and CSS programming but that's about it. What I want to learn most about is things in the area of cyber security and ethical hacking. Thank you!

Literally anything. A simple calculator to a full on board game w/ a function to play against a computer.

I find Derek Banas' tutorials very useful, and thenewboston (somewhat).

I'm not into InfoSec that much, so I can't really give specific pointers regarding that, unfortunately.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Literally anything. A simple calculator to a full on board game w/ a function to play against a computer.

I find Derek Banas' tutorials very useful, and thenewboston (somewhat).

I'm not into InfoSec that much, so I can't really give specific pointers regarding that, unfortunately.

Thank you, that's really helpful! :smile:

Cyber sec is pretty broad and encompasses many smaller fields, is there any specific thing you find interesting? (ie. Cryptography, penetration testing etc)
Original post by 0xFFFFail
Cyber sec is pretty broad and encompasses many smaller fields, is there any specific thing you find interesting? (ie. Cryptography, penetration testing etc)

I'm honestly not sure right now, I'm still quite a novice. I feel like I need to give myself a better grounding in programming and coding overall before going into specific areas :smile:
i like to keep up with the latest Cyber threats to my computer. i have installed Cryptoprevent & use Comodo for firewall & antivirus. also CCleaner. no major problems.... yet :hide:
I'm honestly not sure right now, I'm still quite a novice. I feel like I need to give myself a better grounding in programming and coding overall before going into specific areas :smile:

That's a good idea, you have plenty of time to find your interests.
Reply 10
Penetration testing sounds interesting and computer forensics. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of online education providers which involves penetration testing the majority is an overview. I’m currently wiping one of my computers so I can install kali Linux although I’m dreading operating it as I’m used to windows
Reply 11
I have tried installing Linux on another computer the OS is booting from the cd but it isn’t installing does anyone know what I’m doing wrong ? Thanks
Research common vulnerabilities for your operating system and see how many you can fix yourself, it's a good way to learn how to secure systems as well as learn common security downfalls! :smile:
Original post by Mcalco
I have tried installing Linux on another computer the OS is booting from the cd but it isn’t installing does anyone know what I’m doing wrong ? Thanks

If you're booting from what's called a LiveCD, then you may need to install the OS from when it's desktop. What version of Linux are you installing?
Reply 14
I have had numerous issues the computer I’m currently deleting wouldn’t restore from the OS or the dos I ended up using dureks boot and nuke to try wipe the hard drive before installing Linux
Reply 15
The newest install yes it’s a liveCD I got it from the latest Linux magazine there are multiple options I tried putting Ubuntu on it as well. I was planning on download kali to a usb and try to install from it
Original post by Mcalco
The newest install yes it’s a liveCD I got it from the latest Linux magazine there are multiple options I tried putting Ubuntu on it as well. I was planning on download kali to a usb and try to install from it

When you boot into the LiveCD is there any icons on the Desktop? Some might say to install?
Reply 17
No there hasnt been any icons to install there are a few icons on the start bar. I will try installing from a usb or burn the OS to a disk and use it all being well.
Original post by Mcalco
No there hasnt been any icons to install there are a few icons on the start bar. I will try installing from a usb or burn the OS to a disk and use it all being well.

Might just be a difference in the distro then, make sure you play around with different distributions to find which you like and dont give up when. it geta tricky :smile:
Reply 19
I’ve printed some information off in preparation a list of common commands etc to help me with the basics 😬 I can’t wait I’ve heard great things about Linux

Quick Reply

Latest