The Student Room Group

Should I sit the SAT again?

I got 1310 and 1360 respectively from the new SAT. I was aiming for 1400+ and actually expecting higher like 1450 because I really thought it went well. I have the chance to sit it once again on the 2nd of December. I have a very strong extra curricular CV and a medium school transcript (we dont have school averages or anything like that). I dont have a dream uni but I have high expectations and aims. I am also doing TOEFL this friday and Sat Subject tests (Lit and Maths 2) on saturday. Is 3 times too much? Shall I take it again?
Original post by adbae
I got 1310 and 1360 respectively from the new SAT. I was aiming for 1400+ and actually expecting higher like 1450 because I really thought it went well. I have the chance to sit it once again on the 2nd of December. I have a very strong extra curricular CV and a medium school transcript (we dont have school averages or anything like that). I dont have a dream uni but I have high expectations and aims. I am also doing TOEFL this friday and Sat Subject tests (Lit and Maths 2) on saturday. Is 3 times too much? Shall I take it again?

SIT the SAT :biggrin:
Original post by adbae

Most universities recommend taking the SAT for two times as a maximum. If you are really unsatisfied with your score and you believe that you can do significantly better taking it an additional time, then go for it. But keep in mind that the universities you are applying to may take the score you get a bit less seriously as a result. - perhaps focus on writing an excellent essay/supplements and doing well on your other standardized tests first...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
Most universities recommend taking the SAT for two times as a maximum. If you are really unsatisfied with your score and you believe that you can do significantly better taking it an additional time, then go for it. But keep in mind that the universities you are applying to may take the score you get a bit less seriously as a result. - perhaps focus on writing an excellent essay/supplements and doing well on your other standardized tests first...

Posted from TSR Mobile

As an American, I can say that this is completely false. Most people take the SAT 3-4 times. The score simply gets you through the door so if you are applying to a school that requires a 1470, then you need to take the SAT as many times necessary to get that score or else you won't have a chance. Colleges know that students take the SAT multiple times so they won't care how many times you take it as long as your best score meets their expectations
Original post by yasmine7123
As an American, I can say that this is completely false. Most people take the SAT 3-4 times. The score simply gets you through the door so if you are applying to a school that requires a 1470, then you need to take the SAT as many times necessary to get that score or else you won't have a chance. Colleges know that students take the SAT multiple times so they won't care how many times you take it as long as your best score meets their expectations

With all due respect, I disagree with your statement. I have asked a couple of admissions officers from "elite" universities in the US and they have told me the same thing. One/Two exams are recommended for a multiple of reasons:

Firstly, colleges understand that standardized tests are only a general measure of a candidate's academic ability and prefer to examine a candidate's whole body of academic work instead.

Secondly, colleges also know that taking the standardized tests a lot of times means that your score will inevitably improve as you become more familiar with the questions and such... this is the premise of many Asian standardised test preparation classes... By taking the exam "as many times as you like", your score will definitely be improved... which means your score may be discounted because of what could be seen as natural progression in score improvement for taking the exam a lot of times.

In addition, not everyone can pay to do the standardized tests as many times as they like to get the score that they desire. I know that there's a fee waiver system but I doubt that College Board will allow a student to take the SAT 5 times all with a fee waiver even if you qualify for one. While we are in a fortunate position where we are able to pay to take the exams a multiple of times, many people aren't and colleges recognize that.

There's only an average score, no requirements for SAT's in the US due to the holistic admissions system, therefore technically it is possible that you can get a 1200/1600 on the test and still get into Harvard...- albeit it's improbable but if everything else in your application is stellar/ you are an athlete it's not impossible. (I know that there are some universities that put a lot of emphasis on standardized test scores but not all of them do in fact many top tier universities de-emphasized or are test optional/flexible in regards to standardized test scores- i.e. big state universities admissions relies heavily on numbers)

Hence why, what I call "the heir and the spare" mantra is suggested. Colleges recognise that you might not be at your best the first time around so a second chance is definitely ok. More than that is not ideal.

If you have the money/time and you really want to improve your score, you are better off if you either A. buy SAT practice test booklets and just go through them in simulated test conditions. B. Sign up for prep classes if you have them in the area for some tips and tricks. These suggestions all are "off the record" and are a better use of your resources.

Or alternatively, you can focus on making other parts more attractive. which is also great use of resources.

Notes: College/University is used interchangeably because it is in regards to US university apps

Posted from TSR Mobile
If your score is not within the 25-75 percentile range of the universities you are applying to then you should take the sat again without fear of it devaluing your score, end of story, because in the United States, you do not have to send in all your SAT scores to the University, you can choose to only send the ones you like so taking multiple tests in no way devalues your top score considering you dont have to share the fact that you took multiple tests. I apologize if i somehow offended wolfmoon88, that was not my intention, i was just sharing what I learned from the college admission counselors that I have talked to..
Original post by yasmine7123
If your score is not within the 25-75 percentile range of the universities you are applying to then you should take the sat again without fear of it devaluing your score, end of story, because in the United States, you do not have to send in all your SAT scores to the University, you can choose to only send the ones you like so taking multiple tests in no way devalues your top score considering you dont have to share the fact that you took multiple tests. I apologize if i somehow offended wolfmoon88, that was not my intention, i was just sharing what I learned from the college admission counselors that I have talked to..

While that is true for universities that use score choice. Many elite universities have an unofficial/official send all your scores policy. Some notable schools with a "send all scores" policy include Yale, Stanford, Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, and the University of California... all popular universities that tsrians apply to.

I should have bern more specific... if your list has any of these unis with a "send all your scores" policy, then take the exam no more than twice. And for international students are quite likely to have one of these unis one this list because they are generally what us considered as "elite" unis.

Not offended, just explaining my rational like you are doing. We are all just saying stuff we learned from research/college counselors/ admissions officers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending