The Student Room Group

Not going to college after GCSEs?

Would I be able to get a steady job and maybe afford a cheap place to rent without going any further than getting GCSEs at a pass level?

Scroll to see replies

The chances of you having what you desire are will be increased significantly if you continue with education and attain some level 3 qualifications,Stay in school.
Original post by Koyomii
Would I be able to get a steady job and maybe afford a cheap place to rent without going any further than getting GCSEs at a pass level?

Straight after GCSEs? No. Firstly you have to stay in education, so at best wage wise you'd be in an apprenticeship, which has lower minimum wage requirements so would be very unlikely to earn you enough to pay rent on your own. Also, you would have a lot of difficulty finding a landlord who would be happy to rent to a 16 year old, especially as I'd guess you have no savings to pay the deposit and potentially several months rent up front.
Apprenticeships would be a perfectly valid option which could help you work towards this at later stage, but equally so are A levels, so you should consider all options before making a decision.
HTH

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
No.
Even if you find a job that employs with only GCSEs needed for qualification, if you apply to the job, and someone else, who has 3 A-Levels, and similar GCSEs to you also applies, who do you think that they will employ (Hint: not you)
Stay at home and school and get A-Levels done, then when you are done, you will be over 18 and have good qualifications, so you will be more likely to get chosen for the job that you want
Original post by koyomii
would i be able to get a steady job and maybe afford a cheap place to rent without going any further than getting gcses at a pass level?

no you will be on the dole for life you lazy uneducated twit
Original post by Dr.Bigschlong

omg ded hahaha
Original post by Dr.Bigschlong

You're vile and chatting sh*t. I failed every single GCSE getting mostly Us and nothing above or at C yet I'm in college doing functional skills and previously had a job.
Original post by JasmineWills
You're vile and chatting sh*t. I failed every single GCSE getting mostly Us and nothing above or at C yet I'm in college doing functional skills and previously had a job.

you're just proving his point by doing functional skills LOL
Original post by 32894075890234
you're just proving his point by doing functional skills LOL

What is wrong with functional skills exactly? Stuck up pr*ck.
What is wrong with functional skills exactly? Stuck up pr*ck.

Is it as an A-level or BTEC? Either way it's basically useless
Original post by 32894075890234
Is it as an A-level or BTEC? Either way it's basically useless

Haha no it's not, YOU are useless, looking down on me for failing GCSEs when I had severe mental health issues, you have no idea, I'm so glad I have compassion unlike you. Let me guess, you're some sad insecure loser who takes the piss out of others to make themselves feel better. I hope you lose everything.
OMG just get help and study hard it’s not DIFFICULT. You have asked and asked and asked on TSR and you just don’t get the answer you want do you? You NEED qualifications you NEED experience and you NEED education believe it or not to have a chance of succeeding.
Unless you start at basic low wage apprenticeship or entry level job and work you way up over the years (again you’ll likely need A Levels or BTEC or NVQ at least) then what else do you expect to do?? Rent per month costs around £600-£1000 plus council tax and other licenses. How will you fund that without relevant qualifications needed to get certain jobs? Life is NOT easy, stop expecting to afford this that and whatever at the age of 18. Your life has barely begun yet fgs.
Original post by Lily048
OMG just get help and study hard it’s not DIFFICULT. You have asked and asked and asked on TSR and you just don’t get the answer you want do you? You NEED qualifications you NEED experience and you NEED education believe it or not to have a chance of succeeding.
Unless you start at basic low wage apprenticeship or entry level job and work you way up over the years (again you’ll likely need A Levels or BTEC or NVQ at least) then what else do you expect to do?? Rent per month costs around £600-£1000 plus council tax and other licenses. How will you fund that without relevant qualifications needed to get certain jobs? Life is NOT easy, stop expecting to afford this that and whatever at the age of 18. Your life has barely begun yet fgs.

What the hell are you going on about?
Haha no it's not, YOU are useless, looking down on me for failing GCSEs when I had severe mental health issues, you have no idea, I'm so glad I have compassion unlike you. Let me guess, you're some sad insecure loser who takes the piss out of others to make themselves feel better. I hope you lose everything.

Oh god it’s you again! I’m in to watch this thread now :smile:
Original post by Archon9
Oh god it’s you again! I’m in to watch this thread now :smile:

Yes it's me you bunch of jumped up uni students
Yes it's me you bunch of jumped up uni students

Lol, even if you don’t go to University you still need to have GCSE’s for pretty much any job that is not minimum wage!
Original post by Archon9
Lol, even if you don’t go to University you still need to have GCSE’s for pretty much any job that is not minimum wage!

Lol at you, you mean. Everyone fails at something, including you. You fail at being a half decent human being. I've already talked about doing pre access and access to get qualifications including GCSEs but most uni students think they are better than me which they are not because if you or any of you dealt with my mental health issues then you wouldn't last 5 minutes. I' far from stupid hun.
What the hell are you going on about?

Don’t act like you haven’t been positing the same question again and again fgs
Original post by Lily048
Don’t act like you haven’t been positing the same question again and again fgs

Who cares?
Lol at you, you mean. Everyone fails at something, including you. You fail at being a half decent human being.

And how do you know that according to you everyone who disagrees with you is "less than a half decent human being" good logic right there it will get you far in life!

I've already talked about doing pre access and access to get qualifications including GCSEs

Good for you, I hope that you get GCSE passes in English, and Maths!

but most uni students think they are better than me which they are not because if you or any of you dealt with my mental health issues then you wouldn't last 5 minutes. I' far from stupid hun.

How do you know what "most uni students" think of you there are 2.32 million students studying at higher education level in the UK http://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/facts-and-stats/Pages/higher-education-data.aspx do you know all of those University students? I dont think so take your generalisations and biggortry else ware and focus on passing your GCSE exams rather then trying to bring other people down because they are better than you!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest