The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Yay for another lie-in soon, and for getting work done. Boo for period cramps though! :console:

Thank you TLG :hugs: and would sooner have it this way tbh :redface: rather than having 50 day cycles back again :redface:
hope you are well :cube:

Original post by Matrix123
Aww no problem Cavy, even if you don't reply right away, I know you should have read it :hugs:

Your recent update seems rather positive as a whole which is great! :yy: :biggrin:
Good luck with the report you need to get done and hopefully that support workshop goes well :hugs:

thank you matrix :lovehug:
literally have no idea what im doing with this report :/ can't the only person to have never done this before right? :s-smilie: took me half an hour to work out how to set up all the margins right. Apparently you are meant to have the words left and right justified but what about the cover page? and what size font and what do you even write about? :s-smilie: like wth is going on :frown: from the gist of the lecture you are meant to write a report about other people's reports? isn't that a bit pointless since they already wrote the reports? :s-smilie: so confused rn.
Will cry over this tomorrow, 3am is too tiring for this, the nightline guy said he would stay longer cos they were shutting at 3 if he wanted me to but i couldnt deal with the thought of someone working extra time just for me so i said no thank you
Original post by CoolCavy
literally have no idea what im doing with this report :/ can't the only person to have never done this before right? :s-smilie: took me half an hour to work out how to set up all the margins right. Apparently you are meant to have the words left and right justified but what about the cover page? and what size font and what do you even write about? :s-smilie: like wth is going on :frown: from the gist of the lecture you are meant to write a report about other people's reports? isn't that a bit pointless since they already wrote the reports? :s-smilie: so confused rn.
Will cry over this tomorrow, 3am is too tiring for this, the nightline guy said he would stay longer cos they were shutting at 3 if he wanted me to but i couldnt deal with the thought of someone working extra time just for me so i said no thank you

With uni stuff it's usually size 12, Times New Roman.

I'm not sure what your report is exactly as I've never written a "report" but from how you've described it, is it like a literature review? :dontknow:

3am is definitely too late to be worrying about this. There's nothing wrong with asking for clarification from your professor though, just go to their office hours or email them or whatever and I'm sure they'll be happy to help. :smile:

We had to do centre for the cover page (which included reg number, not our name; university name; module code/name; what piece of coursework it was; date and word count; probably some other stuff.

The rest of it, well some lecturers didn't care if you justified the text or not, some prefered it if you didn't (makes reading easier if you leave it to align left).

I used Arial 12 if I remember correctly.

Do you have a departmental handbook? it should say in there what the lay out is for your course and also what referencing style you're supposed to use (it's different for different courses/universities).

You shouldn't be the only one, I'm sure lots of others are in the same boat :hugs:
Don't cry for too long Cavy, you'll get there with some guidance of what you actually need to do :yep:
And there's no reason to ask for that guy to continue talking to you after 3am if it's what you think he needs. Besides, he was offering to stay for a while longer :smile: Just goes to show you havea kind, selfless heart though :heart:
I hope you've managed to make some progress with the report :lovehug:
Original post by Sabertooth
With uni stuff it's usually size 12, Times New Roman.

I'm not sure what your report is exactly as I've never written a "report" but from how you've described it, is it like a literature review? :dontknow:

3am is definitely too late to be worrying about this. There's nothing wrong with asking for clarification from your professor though, just go to their office hours or email them or whatever and I'm sure they'll be happy to help. :smile:

Original post by Pathway
We had to do centre for the cover page (which included reg number, not our name; university name; module code/name; what piece of coursework it was; date and word count; probably some other stuff.

The rest of it, well some lecturers didn't care if you justified the text or not, some prefered it if you didn't (makes reading easier if you leave it to align left).

I used Arial 12 if I remember correctly.

Do you have a departmental handbook? it should say in there what the lay out is for your course and also what referencing style you're supposed to use (it's different for different courses/universities).

Thanks for your advice guys :hugs: just dont want to ask for help right away cos they say they arent going to read anything before it's submitted and that the questions have to be on specific things so i cant just go what do i do sort of thing
thank you for your help :cube:

You shouldn't be the only one, I'm sure lots of others are in the same boat :hugs:
Don't cry for too long Cavy, you'll get there with some guidance of what you actually need to do :yep:
And there's no reason to ask for that guy to continue talking to you after 3am if it's what you think he needs. Besides, he was offering to stay for a while longer :smile: Just goes to show you havea kind, selfless heart though :heart:
I hope you've managed to make some progress with the report :lovehug:

hopefully :/
just didnt like the idea of some poor person sitting in a nightline office listening to my depressive hysterical ranting for any longer than they had volunteered for
thanks matrix :lovehug: hope you are well :loveduck:

05/11/17

What I'm grateful for today
that the fireworks have stopped. Bangs give me palpitations and make me start. It's different if you can see what they are coming from but when it's just a general warzoney vibe then its just too much anxiety

A random act of kindness I've done
texted my parent happy bonfire night. Trying to make it up to them somewhat because i feel like i have been the daughter from hell recently and i keep having dreams about things they haven't actually done or said and yeh. Plus i miss them and i feel like they don't miss me enough and it makes me cry but that's all long and complicated and then i feel bad cos they are always so forgiving of me and im just a horrible person and :/

A random act of kindness someone has done for me
@furryface12 @ParadoxSocks and @shadowdweller being nice to me :lovie2: noone inrl has done anything as i havent seen anyone living in two days

Something I could improve on
not waking up at 5pm, what even happened. First it was 11am then one nightmare later it was 3pm and i was like oh crap get up then it was 5pm ;_;

What I've achieved today/Things I did well
Was yesterday but washed all my bedding cos realised i hadnt washed it since i came to uni :redface: handwashing pillowcases a sheet and a duvet cover is by no means easy so i was pleased with myself :smile: today i managed to do about half of this tedious report. Was just like 11pm and decided to get my metaphorical balls in my hand and just start it. Have no idea if it's right but i watched that section of the lecture like 10 times and tried to extract as much information as possible about what you have to write. Found some good resources and stuff. Guess it's a start

What I've done to look after my mental health
seeing the doctor tomorrow, sure that will be a joyus experience as it always is (can i please have full boxes of stuff going every 2 weeks is such a hassle especially as i will have to pay for them next time as i havent heard back from this hc1 thing yet). Honestly think i will just tell her i feel terrible. Feel like she just wants it to be a straightforward progression and i want that too but it's not happening.

Something I have to look forward to
dont know, this sort of festive period is really depressing when you are on your own

my nose is cold as apparently it is 2 degrees in here because i have my window wide open cos i feel claustrophobic otherwise. Like having a breeze and cold bedding plus i can keep the stuff i cant keep in the shared fridge on my windowsill and it stays nice and cold :smartass: you also use more energy in the cold so that's why i always go out in tshirts
Thanks for your advice guys :hugs: just dont want to ask for help right away cos they say they arent going to read anything before it's submitted and that the questions have to be on specific things so i cant just go what do i do sort of thing
thank you for your help :cube:

just didnt like the idea of some poor person sitting in a nightline office listening to my depressive hysterical ranting for any longer than they had volunteered for

05/11/17

that the fireworks have stopped. Bangs give me palpitations and make me start. It's different if you can see what they are coming from but when it's just a general warzoney vibe then its just too much anxiety

texted my parent happy bonfire night. Trying to make it up to them somewhat because i feel like i have been the daughter from hell recently and i keep having dreams about things they haven't actually done or said and yeh. Plus i miss them and i feel like they don't miss me enough and it makes me cry but that's all long and complicated and then i feel bad cos they are always so forgiving of me and im just a horrible person and :/

@furryface12 @ParadoxSocks and @shadowdweller being nice to me :lovie2: noone inrl has done anything as i havent seen anyone living in two days

not waking up at 5pm, what even happened. First it was 11am then one nightmare later it was 3pm and i was like oh crap get up then it was 5pm ;_;

Was yesterday but washed all my bedding cos realised i hadnt washed it since i came to uni :redface: handwashing pillowcases a sheet and a duvet cover is by no means easy so i was pleased with myself :smile: today i managed to do about half of this tedious report. Was just like 11pm and decided to get my metaphorical balls in my hand and just start it. Have no idea if it's right but i watched that section of the lecture like 10 times and tried to extract as much information as possible about what you have to write. Found some good resources and stuff. Guess it's a start

seeing the doctor tomorrow, sure that will be a joyus experience as it always is (can i please have full boxes of stuff going every 2 weeks is such a hassle especially as i will have to pay for them next time as i havent heard back from this hc1 thing yet). Honestly think i will just tell her i feel terrible. Feel like she just wants it to be a straightforward progression and i want that too but it's not happening.

dont know, this sort of festive period is really depressing when you are on your own

my nose is cold as apparently it is 2 degrees in here because i have my window wide open cos i feel claustrophobic otherwise. Like having a breeze and cold bedding plus i can keep the stuff i cant keep in the shared fridge on my windowsill and it stays nice and cold :smartass: you also use more energy in the cold so that's why i always go out in tshirts

Congrats on getting your washing and report done. From a parent's point of view, I bet your parents are missing you, they just don't want to make you feel bad by telling you. All texts are gratefully received at this end as I am always happy to hear from any of my boys and I am sure your parents are the same.They will have appreciated your text. You are not on your own, we may not be with you in body but look at all the people supporting you on this thread. We are all thinking about you. :smile:
Wasn't going to do an entry for today because today has been the worst day in a while, however the point of this is to try to get more positive so i guess if i can do it at my worst it's better.

06/11/17

that im in bed

wasn't really in a fit state to do anything for anyone

the receptionist asked if i was ok then said i can tell you're not then gave me some tissues

coping

worked some more on my report. Oddly it doesn't seem as bad of a task when compared to everything else going on. Is shaping up ok

a lot of stuff some of which i cant talk about on here anyway because rules and also because i dont really want to talk about it anymore

that i have a free tuesday to do work
:penguinhug: Sorry today's been such a difficult day :frown: Well done on the washing, and the report too! Getting started is the hardest bit :yep:

And you did something nice - I came home today and checked TSR and saw you'd repped one of my blogposts, and that cheered me up after a tough day :redface:

:console:

Aww fair enough, it'll be good to be e to talk to someone/write it out when you feel like that. Do you have a diary? :h:
I'm okay thanks... getting buried under all the revision I have to do and don't understand my mechanics questions at all :bawling: Hopefully someone can explain it to me tomorrow :tongue:

05/11/17

Awww maybe it's just a misunderstanding :console: I know I personally don't really express it if I miss anyone, then end up keeping it all to myself so those people probably don't know I miss them :dontknow:

Some great achievements there! :smile: That's a good start I think and sounds like you've done a lot of carefuly work to get onto the right tracks :yy:

06/11/17

worked some more on my report. Oddly it doesn't seem as bad of a task when compared to everything else going on. Is shaping up ok

a lot of stuff some of which i cant talk about on here anyway because rules and also because i dont really want to talk about it anymore

:hugs:

I suppose that is a positive in terms of the report :yep:

Fair enough, but it's good you're doing things about it Cavy :heart:

Spoiler

:penguinhug: Sorry today's been such a difficult day :frown: Well done on the washing, and the report too! Getting started is the hardest bit :yep:

And you did something nice - I came home today and checked TSR and saw you'd repped one of my blogposts, and that cheered me up after a tough day :redface:

:console:

Aww fair enough, it'll be good to be e to talk to someone/write it out when you feel like that. Do you have a diary? :h:
I'm okay thanks... getting buried under all the revision I have to do and don't understand my mechanics questions at all :bawling: Hopefully someone can explain it to me tomorrow :tongue:

Awww maybe it's just a misunderstanding :console: I know I personally don't really express it if I miss anyone, then end up keeping it all to myself so those people probably don't know I miss them :dontknow:

Some great achievements there! :smile: That's a good start I think and sounds like you've done a lot of carefuly work to get onto the right tracks :yy:

I suppose that is a positive in terms of the report :yep:

Fair enough, but it's good you're doing things about it Cavy :heart:

Spoiler

Thanks both :sad: :hugs: sorry you had a hard day yourself TLG :console:

07/11/17

that's it's raining, the rain is a nice soft calming pitter patter and i have my window wide open and it's nice and cool

don't know again :/ guess i tried to not speak to anyone last night so i didnt burden them

my friend inrl has continued to be lovely to me, think you find out who your real friends are when you come clean about stuff and say you aren't that happy or ok

sleeping schedule and eating pattern. Hardly eating anything because of the guilt when i do and keep falling asleep at like 6am then having graphic nightmares (have such nice images of gory things from last night :/) then waking up late which gives me less time to do work :/

got out of bed showered and brushed my teeth, find it depressing that that is an achievement but meh. Done about 3/4 of this report but i think i have to concede im stuck on the last part. A tutorial is running about it on thursday so i think i will go and ask for help, hate asking for help over work cos i like to do things myself but it's not gonna get anywhere me just staring at it. Think its better that i have done 3/4 of it even if it's wrong cos it looks like i've tried which i have and is better than just saying i dont know what to do.

DSA assessment tomorrow and doctors. Dreading the doctors :frown: let's try not to cry all over them again. Don't even want to go but they wanted to see me in 2 days from yesterday cos i was a mess yesterday :/

i dont know. i hate november. november last year was terrible and this year seems to be following the same pattern
Thanks both :sad: :hugs: sorry you had a hard day yourself TLG :console:

07/11/17

that's it's raining, the rain is a nice soft calming pitter patter and i have my window wide open and it's nice and cool

don't know again :/ guess i tried to not speak to anyone last night so i didnt burden them

my friend inrl has continued to be lovely to me, think you find out who your real friends are when you come clean about stuff and say you aren't that happy or ok

sleeping schedule and eating pattern. Hardly eating anything because of the guilt when i do and keep falling asleep at like 6am then having graphic nightmares (have such nice images of gory things from last night :/) then waking up late which gives me less time to do work :/

got out of bed showered and brushed my teeth, find it depressing that that is an achievement but meh. Done about 3/4 of this report but i think i have to concede im stuck on the last part. A tutorial is running about it on thursday so i think i will go and ask for help, hate asking for help over work cos i like to do things myself but it's not gonna get anywhere me just staring at it. Think its better that i have done 3/4 of it even if it's wrong cos it looks like i've tried which i have and is better than just saying i dont know what to do.

DSA assessment tomorrow and doctors. Dreading the doctors :frown: let's try not to cry all over them again. Don't even want to go but they wanted to see me in 2 days from yesterday cos i was a mess yesterday :/

i dont know. i hate november. november last year was terrible and this year seems to be following the same pattern

No thing is too small to be an achievement. Sometimes it will be little things, sometimes big things but anything is good.Don't worry about crying on the doctors not only are they used to it but they need to see you just as you are. You are right that getting most of your report done is better than nothing. I know you like to be capable but everyone has to ask for help sometimes. The daft thing would be not asking for help. It is a very mature thing to know when you need help and ask for it. Sending you a hug.
Original post by rhiannon277
No thing is too small to be an achievement. Sometimes it will be little things, sometimes big things but anything is good.Don't worry about crying on the doctors not only are they used to it but they need to see you just as you are. You are right that getting most of your report done is better than nothing. I know you like to be capable but everyone has to ask for help sometimes. The daft thing would be not asking for help. It is a very mature thing to know when you need help and ask for it. Sending you a hug.

thank you for the support and always seeing the positives :hugs:
today has taken every last ounce of energy i have in my body, which isn't a lot as i only slept for an hour last night. Was worth it though

08/11/17

that today went well, thought it would go atrociously but it didnt

i said to the doctor that im sorry i have been using up so much of their time cos i feel really bad for having to have so many appointments but she said it's what she is there for and she wants to help me and that i can come see her any time

@furryface12 making me laugh in the waiting room :tongue:

not ripping into my own work, was in tutorial today and sort of wanted to criticise it before anyone else could cos i felt rubbish and worried about today and was really tired and was worried i would start to cry if i did bad in my work :redface: think the tutor thinks i need more confidence but i wasnt happy with the work i produced for this module this week, wasn't as good as the stuff i did last time imo want to say that is cos i've had a horrible week but that isn't an excuse for not trying 100% my best. Apparently i must not compare myself to third year drawing but they are the best and i really want to get to that standard one day

What I've achieved today/Things I did well/What I've done to look after my mental health (lumped these in together today cos it's all the same thing today):
Going to my doctors appointment and DSA assessment. Was dreading both but both worked out well. Doctor says im not in trouble for denying one of the questions the crisis team asked, says i can just tell them when i see them soon and that it's not a problem and she understands and stuff. Was reassuring and feel better for that. Was introduced to a nurse im apparently having alongside my doctor. Nurse was nice to me even though i was anxious. Doctor says she is also impressed with me for how hard i'm trying and that i've kept up with having so many appointments for different things and that it is impressive which made me feel 10x better cos i thought noone thought i was trying. Then had DSA assessment and that went well, had to trot out my 'story' again of the past year and a half which doesn't even upset me anymore as i've had to say it to about 20 different people over and over again. Aspects of saying certain things outloud still make me uncomfortable but noone seems to judge or anything so. That also went well and they have given me loads of support and stuff, im surprised i deserve all that cos i never think i deserve anything but im pleased it was productive.

i think im going to wear my waistcoat and tie tomorrow, have been wanting to wear my ties since i got here but least i have some sort of 'special occasion' tomorrow to justify it
today has taken every last ounce of energy i have in my body, which isn't a lot as i only slept for an hour last night. Was worth it though

08/11/17

that today went well, thought it would go atrociously but it didnt

i said to the doctor that im sorry i have been using up so much of their time cos i feel really bad for having to have so many appointments but she said it's what she is there for and she wants to help me and that i can come see her any time

@furryface12 making me laugh in the waiting room :tongue:

not ripping into my own work, was in tutorial today and sort of wanted to criticise it before anyone else could cos i felt rubbish and worried about today and was really tired and was worried i would start to cry if i did bad in my work :redface: think the tutor thinks i need more confidence but i wasnt happy with the work i produced for this module this week, wasn't as good as the stuff i did last time imo want to say that is cos i've had a horrible week but that isn't an excuse for not trying 100% my best. Apparently i must not compare myself to third year drawing but they are the best and i really want to get to that standard one day

What I've achieved today/Things I did well/What I've done to look after my mental health (lumped these in together today cos it's all the same thing today):
Going to my doctors appointment and DSA assessment. Was dreading both but both worked out well. Doctor says im not in trouble for denying one of the questions the crisis team asked, says i can just tell them when i see them soon and that it's not a problem and she understands and stuff. Was reassuring and feel better for that. Was introduced to a nurse im apparently having alongside my doctor. Nurse was nice to me even though i was anxious. Doctor says she is also impressed with me for how hard i'm trying and that i've kept up with having so many appointments for different things and that it is impressive which made me feel 10x better cos i thought noone thought i was trying. Then had DSA assessment and that went well, had to trot out my 'story' again of the past year and a half which doesn't even upset me anymore as i've had to say it to about 20 different people over and over again. Aspects of saying certain things outloud still make me uncomfortable but noone seems to judge or anything so. That also went well and they have given me loads of support and stuff, im surprised i deserve all that cos i never think i deserve anything but im pleased it was productive.

i think im going to wear my waistcoat and tie tomorrow, have been wanting to wear my ties since i got here but least i have some sort of 'special occasion' tomorrow to justify it

Told you today would be OK and that everyone is there to help. No one is going to judge you . Hope you get more sleep tonight.
Glad DSA assessment and doctor's appointment went well. Seems like you've got a good doc, which is great. And I'm also very impressed with how hard you've been trying - it's not gone unnoticed :hugs:
:penguinhug: you're doing amazingly :smile:
Original post by rhiannon277
Told you today would be OK and that everyone is there to help. No one is going to judge you . Hope you get more sleep tonight.

Glad DSA assessment and doctor's appointment went well. Seems like you've got a good doc, which is great. And I'm also very impressed with how hard you've been trying - it's not gone unnoticed :hugs:

Original post by furryface12
:penguinhug: you're doing amazingly :smile:

Thank you guys :grouphugs::penguinhug:
Thanks both :sad: :hugs:

07/11/17

The rain must sound lovely :h:

I'm glad the doctor's assessment seemed to go well, even though some of it was a bit uncomfortable :hugs: Did they suggest many things to improve on or will you hear back from them? :smile:

I hope the rest of November is better for you :heart:

The rain must sound lovely :h:

I'm glad the doctor's assessment seemed to go well, even though some of it was a bit uncomfortable :hugs: Did they suggest many things to improve on or will you hear back from them? :smile:

I hope the rest of November is better for you :heart:

not sure if you mean the dsa assessment or the doctors appointment :colondollar: both were equally helpful and i have a lot of people to talk to now, my mentor is being increased to 2 times a week cos she said it was concerning i go for like 4 days without speaking to anyone. It's been hard to adjust from having noone and thinking it's all in my head to having about 10 people on call for me as i didnt know why anyone would want to help me but i do think it is a good thing that they are
thank you matrix i hope u have a good november too :lovehug:

Latest