The Student Room Group

Brighton and Sussex medical school 2018 entry

Hi everyone,
Since I couldn't find a thread for this, I made one.
How did everyone find the bmat today?
What's everyone's first choice?
From what I've heard BSMS ranks according to BMAT and an overall score is given. Cut off has to be met but if you have contextual data the minimum score requires is less .
Now that BMAT is done, how long will it take for us to hear back ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Bmd28
Hi everyone,
Since I couldn't find a thread for this, I made one.
How did everyone find the bmat today?
What's everyone's first choice?
From what I've heard BSMS ranks according to BMAT and an overall score is given. Cut off has to be met but if you have contextual data the minimum score requires is less .
Now that BMAT is done, how long will it take for us to hear back ?

Hey :smile: I did my BMAT back in September and ended up getting 17.3, but at the time I was convinced I'd failed! BSMS is my first choice, but I've also applied to Southampton (:heart:), UEA and St. George's. How about you?

Yep, BSMS doesn't read personal statements, they just base interviews on BMAT ranking. the cutoff last year was around 17, but it's A LOT lower for contextual applicants (around 14, from what I've heard). Last year they started offering interviews on the 5th of December, so still about a month to go :frown:
Original post by zenden
Hey :smile: I did my BMAT back in September and ended up getting 17.3, but at the time I was convinced I'd failed! BSMS is my first choice, but I've also applied to Southampton (:heart:), UEA and St. George's. How about you?

Yep, BSMS doesn't read personal statements, they just base interviews on BMAT ranking. the cutoff last year was around 17, but it's A LOT lower for contextual applicants (around 14, from what I've heard). Last year they started offering interviews on the 5th of December, so still about a month to go :frown:

Can't wait any longer😬😅
Applying to medicine is so stressful! I just want to hear back now :frown: the suspense is killing me!! Mind if I ask you your stats?

I’m applying to HYMS, Exeter, BSMS and Southampton.
5 A*s 5As at GCSE
Predicted AAA at A2
660 UKCAT average
BMAT was terrible!!
I just want to know already :frown::frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Gapmed2018
Can't wait any longer😬😅

Same :frown: Especially now that all my friends are getting offers and I don't even know if I've got interviews!
Reply 5
Original post by Haemohelp
Applying to medicine is so stressful! I just want to hear back now :frown: the suspense is killing me!! Mind if I ask you your stats?

5 A*s 5As at GCSE
Predicted AAA at A2
660 UKCAT average
BMAT was terrible!!

Hahahah everyone thinks they failed the BMAT, I'm sure it went better than you think!
Applying to BSMS, St George's, UEA and Southampton.
11A*s 1A at GCSE
Predicted A*A*A*A at A2 (bio, chem, geography, Spanish) and A* EPQ
710 Band 1 UKCAT average
17.3 BMAT

Tbh I think interviews might be my downfall :frown::frown:

5 A*s 5As at GCSE
Predicted AAA at A2
660 UKCAT average
BMAT was terrible!!

2A* 5A 1B 2C at GCSE
Achieved AAB at A-level
657.5 UKCAT band 2
BMAT hoping for the best don't think I did too well though
Applying to HYMS BSMS Lancaster and Liverpool

I think HYMS will be sending out interview offers within the next couple of weeks!
Original post by Gapmed2018
2A* 5A 1B 2C at GCSE
Achieved AAB at A-level
657.5 UKCAT band 2
BMAT hoping for the best don't think I did too well though
Applying to HYMS BSMS Lancaster and Liverpool

I think HYMS will be sending out interview offers within the next couple of weeks!

Really??? Ahhh hope I get one! Good luck!
Really??? Ahhh hope I get one! Good luck!

Thanks you too
Yh I read it on another thread
Reply 9
Original post by zenden

Hey, well done for your bmat. Hopefully the cut off scores will be around the same so you'll be fine.
I did my bmat on Thursday not sure how I did haha.
I applied to imperial Aberdeen and Dundee :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by zenden
Hahahah everyone thinks they failed the BMAT, I'm sure it went better than you think!
Applying to BSMS, St George's, UEA and Southampton.
11A*s 1A at GCSE
Predicted A*A*A*A at A2 (bio, chem, geography, Spanish) and A* EPQ
710 Band 1 UKCAT average
17.3 BMAT

Tbh I think interviews might be my downfall :frown::frown:

Really good stats, I'm sure you'll be fine
Reply 11
How do you guys think the bmat will be judged this year, since there were 2 sittings? Will there be a separate cut off for each sitting or just one general one ?
Reply 12
Original post by zenden

What do we need to get in each section to have 17
Reply 13
Original post by Bmd28
Really good stats, I'm sure you'll be fine

Thank you :smile: I hope so, but I feel like you need to be a grade 8 violinist who speaks 6 languages and has been doing voluntary work since they left the womb to have a real chance at medicine :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Original post by Bmd28
How do you guys think the bmat will be judged this year, since there were 2 sittings? Will there be a separate cut off for each sitting or just one general one ?

I did the September one and I found section 2 IMPOSSIBLE whereas October people have been saying that action 1 was terrible, but 2 was fine. Clearly the difficulty wasn't the same, but idk if they'll have 2 cut-offs.
Reply 15
Original post by thegsss
What do we need to get in each section to have 17

BSMS automatically rejects you if you get below 3 in any section. You can get 17 in so many ways, but this is what I got in September:
Section 1: 5.1
Section 2: 3.7 (omg it was so hard)
Section 3: 3.5A (the A is with 5 points)
Reply 16
Original post by zenden
BSMS automatically rejects you if you get below 3 in any section. You can get 17 in so many ways, but this is what I got in September:
Section 1: 5.1
Section 2: 3.7 (omg it was so hard)
Section 3: 3.5A (the A is with 5 points)

Alright thanks.
I applied here last year and got an interview, but sadly no offer. Applied again with achieved AAB, BMAT was alright
Original post by HamedxAli
I applied here last year and got an interview, but sadly no offer. Applied again with achieved AAB, BMAT was alright

What were your stats last year?
I have applied to BSMS, along with Cardiff, Exeter and Nottingham.
I did the EB and I have fairly good achieved grades, but I really have no idea how the BMAT will turn out... :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending