The Student Room Group

Texas church attack leaves 27 dead, 20+ injured

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by JMR2017
Just because the attacker was a Christian does not mean Christianity is to blame, does it? I pray for the 27 souls lost today. :frown:

He was an atheist, actually, who may previously have been a Christian
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5053013/Devin-Kelley-outcast-preached-atheism.html
Just recently yh but it has been happening for some time.
Reply 42
Original post by JMR2017
Just because the attacker was a Christian does not mean Christianity is to blame, does it? I pray for the 27 souls lost today. :frown:

an 'outcast' who 'preached his atheism'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5053013/Devin-Kelley-outcast-preached-atheism.html
Original post by Quantex
I'd say something needs to be done.

But this is America. So lets all say a prayer and pretend to act surprised when it happens again.

:yep:

And let's all be totally shocked that anyone with severe personality disorders in the US can go get one of these and use it to commit mass murder.

Original post by paul514
I’ve just been told his Facebook is connected to loads of atheists stuff.

Don’t know how true that is

Was it from Breitbart?

What we do know is that he was court martialed in 2012 for assaulting his spouse and child for which he received a year in prison and a dishonorable discharge.

A few years later he was able to walk into a gun store in Colorado and buy an assault rifle perfectly legally.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/05/us/texas-church-shooting/index.html

What a country!

You have to love it that they love the illusion of freedom so much that they sanction convicted criminals purchasing crowd killers in high street stores.

The store he purchase it in is closed today due to fire damage, according to Google.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Academy%20Sports%20%26%20Outdoors%20store%20in%20San%20Antonio%2C%20Texas&oq=Academy+Sports+%26+Outdoors+store+in+San+Antonio%2C+Texas&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.497j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=29558918,-98562557,11076&tbm=lcl&rldimm=6541560691041979342&ved=0ahUKEwjp4orKyKnXAhWHfhoKHURFCXAQvS4IPTAA&rldoc=1&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4#rlfi=hd:;si:6541560691041979342;mv:!1m3!1d268277.3936282236!2d-98.33870225!3d29.600653249999997!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i152!2i116!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4

The owners getting rid of their records, or angry retaliation?
Reply 45
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
a place of worship is the last place you'd expect to be killed.
Not If you're a Shia Muslim in parts of the Middle East.
Reply 46
Original post by ManaPigs
Who shall we blame this time? The Amish?
As always, we should blame the person who did it, and the motivation that led them to do it. If this was a case of anti-religious hatred, that is what we blame.
Reply 47
Original post by Trapz99
This isn't the time for this sort of comment
Why not. Someone made the point that it being a place of worship was somehow more noteworthy, so someone else pointed out that it makes no difference.
Is this another hoax?
Reply 49
Original post by Trapz99
Whoever did it, if the attack was against a religion then it is a terrorist attack and the shooter is a terrorist.
An religiously motivated hate-crime isn't necessarily terrorism. It all depends on the motivation and aims of the attacker.
I really don't get this obsession some people have with labelling every mass murder as "terrorism". Terrorism is a specific crime with a specific definition. If if fits that, it is terrorism, if it doesn't, it isn't. Very simple.
Original post by adumbledoreable
What i find the most ironic thing about it is that all those pro gun nuts in the US always tried to argue “Mass shootings would NEVER happen in an open carry state like Texas”. WELL...

Mass shootings such as Sandy Hook are being staged by the government in order to impose gun control. (Sandy Hook School was closed at the time of the mass shooting.) This could be another such incident. Why do they want to impose gun control? So that the people cannot defend themselves against a tyrannical state. They couldn't care less if the people are shooting each other, they want them to shoot each other - the NWO wants to depopulate the earth by 90%.
Reply 51
Original post by Racoon
I would say go and find a good reason why you hate Jesus.
What an odd thing to say.
Reply 52
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
It doesn't make it any sadder but a place of worship is the last place you'd expect to be killed. They are meant to be sacred places of peace and love.

There used to be a very strict law in England, that no weapons or anything that could cause harm is allowed in a Place of Worship
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Was it from Breitbart?

What we do know is that he was court martialed in 2012 for assaulting his spouse and child for which he received a year in prison and a dishonorable discharge.

A few years later he was able to walk into a gun store in Colorado and buy an assault rifle perfectly legally.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/05/us/texas-church-shooting/index.html

What a country!

You have to love it that they love the illusion of freedom so much that they sanction convicted criminals purchasing crowd killers in high street stores.

The store he purchase it in is closed today due to fire damage, according to Google.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Academy%20Sports%20%26%20Outdoors%20store%20in%20San%20Antonio%2C%20Texas&oq=Academy+Sports+%26+Outdoors+store+in+San+Antonio%2C+Texas&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.497j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=29558918,-98562557,11076&tbm=lcl&rldimm=6541560691041979342&ved=0ahUKEwjp4orKyKnXAhWHfhoKHURFCXAQvS4IPTAA&rldoc=1&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4#rlfi=hd:;si:6541560691041979342;mv:!1m3!1d268277.3936282236!2d-98.33870225!3d29.600653249999997!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i152!2i116!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4

The owners getting rid of their records, or angry retaliation?

My other half told me which is why I said I don’t know how true it is
Reply 54
Original post by Racoon
Continued prayers for all who are suffering, having to deal with these awful crimes and the fall out.
Do you not see the bitter irony in this?

If our desire for people to avoid suffering can cause god to alter events to that end, why didn't he alter them to avoid the massacre in the first place?
Is it simply because no one thought to ask?
Does he have an endless stream of such tragedies planned and will only stop them if we specifically ask?

If these tragedies are all a part of his mysterious plan and are there for a good reason beyond our understanding, then why not also the ensuing suffering? Why don't you tolerate that with the same grace that you tolerate the original massacre? Why are you asking him to alter his plans for you?
Original post by Anonymoususer16
Because, places of worship are supposed to be safe, holy places where people don't have to worry about the violence of day to day life.

Everywhere should be a safe, sacred place where people shouldn't have to worry about being shot dead. I don't consider it to be any more shocking or abhorrent that this took place in a church, because by definition that makes shootings that take place out of churches less shocking and abhorrent. It implies a double standard towards mass shootings, when mass shootings are 100% unacceptable, everywhere.
Reply 56
Original post by JMR2017
Yeah I agree terrorism has no religion!
Indeed. There have been terrorist atrocities motivated by many religions. And by many political ideologies, and even by economic concerns. Terrorism is simply a tool used by those who consider violence a justified means of promoting an agenda.
Reply 57
Original post by adumbledoreable
What i find the most ironic thing about it is that all those pro gun nuts in the US always tried to argue “Mass shootings would NEVER happen in an open carry state like Texas”. WELL...
Even worse, because the shooter was challenged by an armed member of the public, they will use that as justification for guns, seemingly oblivious to the reason why the shooter needed to be challenged in the first place!

Sad that you feel the need to be mocking a country when its people are suffering through one of its worst ever attacks. Incredibly badly worded
(edited 6 years ago)
This is such an awful attack, people worshipping God being shot dead indiscriminately

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending