The Student Room Group

I'm ruining my life.

I've only just started university and I have missed most of my lessons. I don't know what to do. Every time I miss one I promise myself that I will go to the next one and this will be the last of me skipping but when it's time deliver I wait to the last minute, it's always 5 more minutes until I have no more minutes. Then rinse and repeat... This has happened my whole life since year 1 when a friend convinced me to fake illness. I want to be a good student but I'm never there to try to be one. In general, i have struggled to leave my house. Simple things like going to the dentist is a struggle. Even though lessons aren't compulsory I want to go since I find it fun but I want to go happily. Sorry if this is written poorly, I just poured it all out, really.

Thanks for reading.
Reply 1
This is probably in the wrong section sorry.
Reply 2
I do this too. Except I actually make it to the uni and then I talk myself out of it like I don't need to go, or I can catch up later. I've missed a lot of lectures and it's getting worse because the more I miss the more I think the next one isn't worth it. Honestly, you need to start back up. Perhaps say to yourself, I'll go to the lectures taught by ______ first, then as I get more comfortable I'll go to the others? Do you see what I mean? Good luck!
You sound like you have some kind or agoraphobia instead of just laziness. I would go to the doctors and explain you feel anxiety about leaving your house x
It's honestly worth seeing a professional, and even taking a year out, if you must. Dealing with these kind of issues in conjunction with the workload of a degree is difficult. I personally took some time out and I feel like I can cope with uni life a lot better now-- not to say that it is easy, there will always be challenges.
Reply 5
Original post by SRDW
I do this too. Except I actually make it to the uni and then I talk myself out of it like I don't need to go, or I can catch up later. I've missed a lot of lectures and it's getting worse because the more I miss the more I think the next one isn't worth it. Honestly, you need to start back up. Perhaps say to yourself, I'll go to the lectures taught by ______ first, then as I get more comfortable I'll go to the others? Do you see what I mean? Good luck!

Sorry for the really late reply, are you doing better now?
Reply 6
Original post by del1rious
You sound like you have some kind or agoraphobia instead of just laziness. I would go to the doctors and explain you feel anxiety about leaving your house x

Thank you, I really do need to go. I have wanted to do it before but I was (still am) really scared that the doctor might tell me it's nothing, I would be really embarrassed.
Reply 7
Original post by Insecable
It's honestly worth seeing a professional, and even taking a year out, if you must. Dealing with these kind of issues in conjunction with the workload of a degree is difficult. I personally took some time out and I feel like I can cope with uni life a lot better now-- not to say that it is easy, there will always be challenges.

Thank you, I think I may go to my GP hopefully I can solve this. I'll talk to someone. I should also email my teachers...
Original post by Anlace
Thank you, I really do need to go. I have wanted to do it before but I was (still am) really scared that the doctor might tell me it's nothing, I would be really embarrassed.

I had this worry before I went to the doctors for my anxiety, I cancelled he appointment twice before I had the guts to go!! However when I did go the doctor was brilliant and took me very seriously, prescribed me tablets and I felt as if a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders straight away.

If you are really worried about going do you have a close friend or family member who would go with you?
Reply 9
I had this worry before I went to the doctors for my anxiety, I cancelled he appointment twice before I had the guts to go!! However when I did go the doctor was brilliant and took me very seriously, prescribed me tablets and I felt as if a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders straight away.

If you are really worried about going do you have a close friend or family member who would go with you?

If you don't mind me asking, what tablets were you prescribed to help with your anxiety?
Original post by SRDW
If you don't mind me asking, what tablets were you prescribed to help with your anxiety?

Citalopram, started at 10mg and now on 20. Apparently they are quite commonly prescribed in the first instance
Original post by Anlace
I've only just started university and I have missed most of my lessons. I don't know what to do. Every time I miss one I promise myself that I will go to the next one and this will be the last of me skipping but when it's time deliver I wait to the last minute, it's always 5 more minutes until I have no more minutes. Then rinse and repeat... This has happened my whole life since year 1 when a friend convinced me to fake illness. I want to be a good student but I'm never there to try to be one. In general, i have struggled to leave my house. Simple things like going to the dentist is a struggle. Even though lessons aren't compulsory I want to go since I find it fun but I want to go happily. Sorry if this is written poorly, I just poured it all out, really.

Thanks for reading.

Get a friend or two who will push/drag you to your lessons.
Citalopram, started at 10mg and now on 20. Apparently they are quite commonly prescribed in the first instance

In what way did the medication help?
Original post by Mystery.
In what way did the medication help?

In little ways which let me get my life back on track, like I am now able to leave the house without returning 2+ times to check that the straighteners are turned off etc. I have also stopped replaying conversations over and over again in my head agonising over things I said. I also used to panic over my husband getting in an accident, and couldn’t be away from him at all- this has all calmed down now.
Reply 14
In little ways which let me get my life back on track, like I am now able to leave the house without returning 2+ times to check that the straighteners are turned off etc. I have also stopped replaying conversations over and over again in my head agonising over things I said. I also used to panic over my husband getting in an accident, and couldn’t be away from him at all- this has all calmed down now.

I've just been prescribed that exact medication today. I'm glad it worked for you!
Did you experience any side effects in the first week? Apparently it's supposed to take a while to settle in.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SRDW
I've just been prescribed that exact medication today. I'm glad it worked for you!
Did you experience any side effects in the first week? Apparently it's supposed to take a while to settle in.

Hope it helps you! Yes I experienced quite a bit of dizziness and trouble sleeping in the first week or so which is apparently really common. My appetite was suppressed for a couple of weeks also but unfortunately this didn’t last haha! This was also accompanied by just a general feeling of “not feeling like myself”- I don’t quite know how else to describe it! Within about a month this had all returned to normal and within about 2 months I was feeling heaps better.

What dosage have you started on?
Reply 16
Hope it helps you! Yes I experienced quite a bit of dizziness and trouble sleeping in the first week or so which is apparently really common. My appetite was suppressed for a couple of weeks also but unfortunately this didn’t last haha! This was also accompanied by just a general feeling of “not feeling like myself”- I don’t quite know how else to describe it! Within about a month this had all returned to normal and within about 2 months I was feeling heaps better.

What dosage have you started on?

Ah okay. I'm actually quite nervous about taking them haha (anxious about taking anti-anxious meds...).
I think I'm on 10mg to start with and then I'll speak to doctors in next 3-4 weeks about how it's going.
Original post by SRDW
Ah okay. I'm actually quite nervous about taking them haha (anxious about taking anti-anxious meds...).
I think I'm on 10mg to start with and then I'll speak to doctors in next 3-4 weeks about how it's going.

Yeah that sounds about right, I was started on 10mg also. Apparently the medication can make panicking/anxiety worse when initially taking it (although I didn't get this side effect), so they phase you in. I got moved up to 20mg at about the two month mark which apparently is the standard dose for people. Whatever you do make sure you get your prescriptions in on time as if you get caught out and stop taking for a couple of days the dizziness is HORRENDOUS hahah
Reply 18
Yeah that sounds about right, I was started on 10mg also. Apparently the medication can make panicking/anxiety worse when initially taking it (although I didn't get this side effect), so they phase you in. I got moved up to 20mg at about the two month mark which apparently is the standard dose for people. Whatever you do make sure you get your prescriptions in on time as if you get caught out and stop taking for a couple of days the dizziness is HORRENDOUS hahah

Jheez. I was kinda worried about withdrawal symptoms. Apparently it's not supposed to be as bad as 'old' antidepressants. I'll see how it goes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending