The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Fluoxetine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, I'm having a hard time,my heart is racing and I am just sitting down, I have dissociation (if that means feeling like in a dream state), dry mouth, agitation, was it worth it, and how was coming Off them, are you taking anything now?

Coming off them was a lot easier than going on them, in terms of side effects at least. I spoke to my GP about it and she said if I truly felt I was okay, to start taking one tablet a day (so 20mg) and then lowering that to one tablet every other day after a week or so. I'm not on anything at the moment, no, I haven't been since I stopped taking fluoxetine.
Original post by bones-mccoy
Coming off them was a lot easier than going on them, in terms of side effects at least. I spoke to my GP about it and she said if I truly felt I was okay, to start taking one tablet a day (so 20mg) and then lowering that to one tablet every other day after a week or so. I'm not on anything at the moment, no, I haven't been since I stopped taking fluoxetine.

I feel so irritable, agitated, how did you cope with the side effects at the beginning?
I feel so irritable, agitated, how did you cope with the side effects at the beginning?

I didn't, really. I started fluoxetine during exam season which was a mistake as it badly affected my revision and studying. The worst part was probably the dissociating and tiredness, I'd just stare off into space and feel really out of it a lot of the time. I left my final exam of second year early because I hadn't been able to do enough revision due to the side effects and just feeling generally terrible, and failed that as a result. They still let me pass, though, due to extenuating circumstances.

They did gradually wear off until I had no side effects at all. I don't regret taking fluoxetine at all, even if it did impact those set of exams, as I know I'd have been a lot worse off without it. My mental health was far more important.

I took antidepressants after my divorce. I can't remember which ones but they made an enormous difference to me. It took a few weeks to kick in but whilst I was on them, it was great. Unfortunately, I started getting side effects a couple of months in - rashes, itchiness - it got to the point where it was keeping me awake at night. You may be having side effects - check the pack insert. I withdrew myself off them slowly and then got withdrawal symptoms - anxiety and palpitations.

What I will say is stick with them if you can although you may need to change the type. Try to alter your lifestyle at the same time - look at what you are eating. Are you exercising enough. I know these things sound rather glib but they can make a huge difference. Good luck
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I took antidepressants after my divorce. I can't remember which ones but they made an enormous difference to me. It took a few weeks to kick in but whilst I was on them, it was great. Unfortunately, I started getting side effects a couple of months in - rashes, itchiness - it got to the point where it was keeping me awake at night. You may be having side effects - check the pack insert. I withdrew myself off them slowly and then got withdrawal symptoms - anxiety and palpitations.

What I will say is stick with them if you can although you may need to change the type. Try to alter your lifestyle at the same time - look at what you are eating. Are you exercising enough. I know these things sound rather glib but they can make a huge difference. Good luck

Did you get any side effects like lightheadedness/ dizziness, mood swings, increased anxiety? how long did it take to kick in?
Did you get any side effects like lightheadedness/ dizziness, mood swings, increased anxiety? how long did it take to kick in?

No I didn't get those but if you look on pack insert those symptoms will be there as possible side effect. Generally these things start to work after 2 weeks but everyone is different. What has brought on the depression etc. I am by no means a supporter of pills but they definitely have their place. I would not be here if I hadn't taken my antidepressants
Original post by squeakysquirrel
No I didn't get those but if you look on pack insert those symptoms will be there as possible side effect. Generally these things start to work after 2 weeks but everyone is different. What has brought on the depression etc. I am by no means a supporter of pills but they definitely have their place. I would not be here if I hadn't taken my antidepressants

Do you remember what dose you started on?
Do you remember what dose you started on?

Sadly since I can't remember which one I was on I certainly can'tremember dose. You need to see gp again if you feel they are not working. But don't just rely on pills. You need to look at other issues in your life. Otherwise when you stop taking them, you will be back to square one.

I was profoundly depressed because my long marriage had ended (husband had affair). I decided to lose weight. Get a new haircut,change jobs, change my style of dress. Exercise, take up new hobbies and join dating agency. And take the pills. After the three months or so that I was on them, I wasn't perfect, butbi was in a better place. Good luck.
Hi, I've been on this for about two weeks and I see no improvement, my mood is up and down. does anyone have experience with this drug?

It has not worked for me it just increases my appetite
* 3 years later *

Latest