The Student Room Group

Good unis for film MA

Hello guys,
I’m applying for Chevening scholarship and I need to give them three options of universities of my interest. I’ve chosen Glasgow, Birmingham and Exeter, but a fellow from the forum gave me a tip that would be better to choose a school accredited because would be better for me to find jobs later. So, in the list she passed me, there were london film school, metfilm, university of hertfordshire and westminster. But I haven’t heard much of those last ones.

What you thing? Which ones are good options for me?
(edited 6 years ago)
I’m not a man.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
I’m not a man.

😛 sorry
Reply 3
Which one would you choose?
Original post by Deysinha
Which one would you choose?

That isn't relevant - I'm not you - I don't have your interests or career goals

What would you like to do post-MA? Do you have a specific film related career in mind? Who in the industry would you like to be like?

What's your background? Do you already have some film experience and a showreel or do you need an MA that will take you with limited experience?
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
That isn't relevant - I'm not you - I don't have your interests or career goals

What would you like to do post-MA? Do you have a specific film related career in mind? Who in the industry would you like to be like?

What's your background? Do you already have some film experience and a showreel or do you need an MA that will take you with limited experience?

Sure, you not me, but as I’m not from UK, I’m looking for opinions to make a decision. I already have a career as an independent filmmaker, but not a long one. I want to learn more about the filmmaking and about the distribution process, networking in the business. Now with your information, I’m questioning if is better a university with a solid reputation or one that is accredited. From the list you sent me, London Film School is very nice, but it seems to be a school and the other universities.... none of them called my attention. But I’m not from UK and I’m not in the industry in UK... so I don’t know which choice would be wise, you know?
Original post by Deysinha
Sure, you not me, but as I’m not from UK, I’m looking for opinions to make a decision. I already have a career as an independent filmmaker, but not a long one. I want to learn more about the filmmaking and about the distribution process, networking in the business. Now with your information, I’m questioning if is better a university with a solid reputation or one that is accredited. From the list you sent me, London Film School is very nice, but it seems to be a school and the other universities.... none of them called my attention. But I’m not from UK and I’m not in the industry in UK... so I don’t know which choice would be wise, you know?

For networking opportunities I'd say Met Film school (which is based in a commercial studio) or NFTS (which is best hooked in to industry for teaching staff/visiting lecturers). For Met you'd have to chose whether you want to study production, directing, post production or cinematography etc. For NFTS then their https://nfts.co.uk/our-courses/masters/marketing-distribution-sales-exhibition looks like it offers a course specifically along the lines of what you're interested in. NFTS is VERY expensive though (reflecting the fact that they're seen as "the best" for postgrad) - and it's a 2 year course - but it's a similar price to the London Film School Filmmaking MA which would include going over some things you'd already know about as an independent filmmaker with much less emphasis on networking and distribution (and more about building your CV of film making experience).

Neither of these film schools are going to feel like studying at a university - the emphasis is very much on the practical business of film - they'll feel more like being based in a studio on an apprentice scheme.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
For networking opportunities I'd say Met Film school (which is based in a commercial studio) or NFTS (which is best hooked in to industry for teaching staff/visiting lecturers). For Met you'd have to chose whether you want to study production, directing, post production or cinematography etc. For NFTS then their https://nfts.co.uk/our-courses/masters/marketing-distribution-sales-exhibition looks like it offers a course specifically along the lines of what you're interested in. NFTS is VERY expensive though (reflecting the fact that they're seen as "the best" for postgrad) - and it's a 2 year course - but it's a similar price to the London Film School Filmmaking MA which would include going over some things you'd already know about as an independent filmmaker with much less emphasis on networking and distribution (and more about building your CV of film making experience).

Neither of these film schools are going to feel like studying at a university - the emphasis is very much on the practical business of film - they'll feel more like being based in a studio on an apprentice scheme.

Thanks! It was really helpful.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ

Hi. Do you know if those schools they have accomodations? I didn’t find this information on their website

Quick Reply

Latest