The Student Room Group

I'm a 3rd year psychology student - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by prophetkid
Do you have ethical approval?

Well, is it necessary? I didn't know about that as yet, if it is necessary I can get it, although I've never heard about that.
I can ask my professor.
If it'll be okay what? Can you work with me on this research?
Original post by roqaye
Well, is it necessary? I didn't know about that as yet, if it is necessary I can get it, although I've never heard about that.
I can ask my professor.
If it'll be okay what? Can you work with me on this research?

It is absolutely necessary to obtain ethical approval from your institution before you start collecting data; otherwise it is misconduct.
Reply 22
It is absolutely necessary to obtain ethical approval from your institution before you start collecting data; otherwise it is misconduct.
okay then, now I'll get it, if I got it what? Are you ready to work with me on it?
Original post by roqaye
okay then, now I'll get it, if I got it what? Are you ready to work with me on it?

Possibly.
Reply 24
Possibly.

Well, okay
I need to be sure if you'll really cooperate . I'll be grateful if you say your certain reply.
Lol you're asking her to do your work for you because your English is bad?
Reply 26
Original post by yudothis
Lol you're asking her to do your work for you because your English is bad?
no really!!!! Why you think so? I invite her to a cooperation!! I wanted to work together!! I asked her "if she interested in it"!!!
@prophetkid

Apologies if any of these have been asked before!!

first, what uni did you study at?? a good uni I imagine, because you sound like you're happy with it. would you recommend it??

what's the first year like of psychology? is it easy to adjust to uni life??

what's your opinion on "ethics" in research, do you think it's necessary to sometimes allow a few unethical aspects into psychological research??

hmm....and finally, what's been your favourite module??
What’s the most fascinating fact you’ve learnt about the human mind so far?
Can you explain me psychological theories on language and learning
Original post by ZiggyStardust_
@prophetkid

Apologies if any of these have been asked before!!

first, what uni did you study at?? a good uni I imagine, because you sound like you're happy with it. would you recommend it??

what's the first year like of psychology? is it easy to adjust to uni life??

what's your opinion on "ethics" in research, do you think it's necessary to sometimes allow a few unethical aspects into psychological research??

hmm....and finally, what's been your favourite module??

I study at York St John University. I declined my offer from University of York for it, which some people will think I'm mental. YSJ just seemed more friendly, welcoming and staff seemed a lot more down to earth etc. and I don't regret my decision at all. I'd recommend YSJ to anyone, it's such a dedicated and determined university.

1st year was generally quite easy, I'd compare it to AS levels really. There's a lot of new things to get your head round like referencing, academic writing and essays; but it's a gradual process and fairly easy to settle into.

In terms of ethics I think as long as it's justified, then a few unethical bits in research is ok. Like if deception was necessary to get realistic, unbiased responses from participants, I'd say that's okay as long as they're fully debriefed at the end. Nothing like Milgram though!

My favourite module, hmm, it feels sad to say but I really enjoyed statistics so I'd probably say that. Then my second would probably be cognitive psychology, although I am looking forward to studying animal psychology next semester!
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
What’s the most fascinating fact you’ve learnt about the human mind so far?

Hmm, that even the tiniest components of the brain can control so many different functions; and severely impact someone if there's damage. The brain is just so complex!

Original post by Mdarc188
Can you explain me psychological theories on language and learning

Unfortunately, I've not really covered much on that!
Do you realise you studied a pointless degree that you'll regret?
Knowledge will not become pointless
What topics have you covered? In alevels and now? Psychology wise
Original post by JamesManc

Psychology is actually a really good degree to have, depending on what career you want to go into. So don’t be a rude c*nt
Original post by JamesManc

Already been offered a job and PhD, but I appreciate the effort to shoot me down :smile:
Original post by iwant2die
What topics have you covered? In alevels and now? Psychology wise

So at A level from what I can remember, I covered memory, abnormal behaviour (mental disorders), forensic psychology, eating behaviour, research methods.

At university I've covered: research methods, statistics, study skills, cognitive, psychobiology, developmental, individual differences, conceptual & historical issues (like is psychology a science?), work psychology. Then my optional modules for 3rd year are: forensic psychology, memory improvement, psychology in education and animal psychology!

A massive range of topics basically!
I'm a first year forensic psychology student and at the moment I'm pretty confused with the reading. Only one of my modules is related to forensics, so I'm hoping you can help with the others. One module is foundation of psychology which is at the moment social and cognitive. How do I know how much reading I should be doing each week? I've got textbooks I've bought and got from the library, but there's so much especially about other research. I'm finding it overwhelming. Do I need to read about all of the studies? How do I know what's important and what isn't?
Loads have phds.

Quick Reply

Latest