The Student Room Group

a level choices

is it better to take maths with chemistry?
Reply 1
Depends on what you want to study after college & what other A level you are taking. But maths & Chem do go well together (:
Reply 2
What are your other choices?
Entirely depends on your other choices, what you want to do in the future and if you like maths! I'm doing chemistry without maths and I'm finding it not too hard (I got an A at AS Level) and I definitely wouldn't say I'm behind those who do take maths. I hate maths hence why I didn't choose it and I want to go into microbiology/biomedical science so I don't need it!
Original post by yeahthatonethere
Entirely depends on your other choices, what you want to do in the future and if you like maths! I'm doing chemistry without maths and I'm finding it not too hard (I got an A at AS Level) and I definitely wouldn't say I'm behind those who do take maths. I hate maths hence why I didn't choose it and I want to go into microbiology/biomedical science so I don't need it!

hi, the other subjects i’m thinking of taking are biology, (chemistry) , psychology and either maths or philosophy religion & ethics (PRE). I don’t completely hate maths but its definitely my least favourite subject. but it’s comforting to know that you didn’t take it and you’re still excelling in chemistry, then again everyone is different. well done by the way :smile:
also, i would like to study medicine at university
Original post by NBingham
What are your other choices?

biology, (chemistry) psychology and either maths or PRE (philosophy religion and ethics)
Original post by N_pk
Depends on what you want to study after college & what other A level you are taking. But maths & Chem do go well together (:

I would like to study medicine at uni, and the other a level choices i was thinking of taking are: biology, (chemistry) psychology and maths or PRE (philosophy religion and ethics)
Original post by aspiring-student
hi, the other subjects i’m thinking of taking are biology, (chemistry) , psychology and either maths or philosophy religion & ethics (PRE). I don’t completely hate maths but its definitely my least favourite subject. but it’s comforting to know that you didn’t take it and you’re still excelling in chemistry, then again everyone is different. well done by the way :smile:
also, i would like to study medicine at university

I did very similar stuff last year! I did Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Religious Studies (which had a section on each of philosophy, religion and ethics) and loved them all! I ended up dropping RS just cause it was the least related to what I want to do.

Medicine wise most medical schools only ask for biology and chemistry specifically though some do ask for maths or physics however most are fine with any other subject for your third! Your best bet is just to go onto a bunch of medical school websites and look at their entry requirements but your choices should be fine as long as you do bio and chem. I have a friend applying with English literature as his third!

(P.S. the maths in chemistry is hard but the actual skills like rearranging equations are all GCSE so it is not essential to do maths if you don't enjoy it. It is a subject you have to enjoy to do well in is what I've been told by friends who do maths A Level.)
Reply 8
biology, (chemistry) psychology and either maths or PRE (philosophy religion and ethics)

As your doing sciences, most teachers recommend maths or core maths, if your school offers it, and I would recommend maths too
is it better to take maths with chemistry?

If you want to get into a STEM/medicine uni course or career, you are strongly recommended to take three STEM subjects, Usually this will be maths plus two sciences. Don't do a subject if you think you'll hate it, but not doing maths may make it much harder to get into the courses you want to later on.
Original post by TheMindGarage
If you want to get into a STEM/medicine uni course or career, you are strongly recommended to take three STEM subjects, Usually this will be maths plus two sciences. Don't do a subject if you think you'll hate it, but not doing maths may make it much harder to get into the courses you want to later on.

thank you and I see where you're coming from, Imperial + other unis don't ask for maths as an A-Level, but would I be at an advantage if I did take it?
thank you and I see where you're coming from, Imperial + other unis don't ask for maths as an A-Level, but would I be at an advantage if I did take it?

Yes. While it may not be essential (depending on course), it can help a lot. Also, science in general is very mathematical so A-level maths might help you during your science A-levels.
I did very similar stuff last year! I did Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Religious Studies (which had a section on each of philosophy, religion and ethics) and loved them all! I ended up dropping RS just cause it was the least related to what I want to do.

Medicine wise most medical schools only ask for biology and chemistry specifically though some do ask for maths or physics however most are fine with any other subject for your third! Your best bet is just to go onto a bunch of medical school websites and look at their entry requirements but your choices should be fine as long as you do bio and chem. I have a friend applying with English literature as his third!

(P.S. the maths in chemistry is hard but the actual skills like rearranging equations are all GCSE so it is not essential to do maths if you don't enjoy it. It is a subject you have to enjoy to do well in is what I've been told by friends who do maths A Level.)

Thank you! I have been checking university requirements for medicine and almost all of them don't require maths as an a level. Also may I ask what you're studying/going to study at university? Good luck to your friend aswell :smile: And did you struggle at all with chemistry in comparison to other people in your class that took maths?
Original post by TheMindGarage
Yes. While it may not be essential (depending on course), it can help a lot. Also, science in general is very mathematical so A-level maths might help you during your science A-levels.

Okay, thank you.
Thank you! I have been checking university requirements for medicine and almost all of them don't require maths as an a level. Also may I ask what you're studying/going to study at university? Good luck to your friend aswell :smile: And did you struggle at all with chemistry in comparison to other people in your class that took maths?

I've applied to the following (AAA* Predicted Grades):
Leeds - Microbiology (AAA)
Sheffield - Biomedical Science (AAB+A in EPQ or AAA)
Newcastle - Biomedical Science (AAA)
Sheffield Hallam - Biomedical Science (104 UCAS )
Nottingham Trent - Biomedical Science (BBB)

My application hasn't sent yet because I'm waiting for my references but it should be gone soon!

Compared to those taking chemistry and maths I'd say we're all on par with each other. While there is a lot of maths in chemistry it's nothing like what you'd get taught in maths A Level and there's no real crossover (this I what I've been told by a friend). In tests the majority of us (maths and non-maths) so far this year have been getting As and Bs so yeah there's no real difference between anyone in my class!
I've applied to the following (AAA* Predicted Grades):
Leeds - Microbiology (AAA)
Sheffield - Biomedical Science (AAB+A in EPQ or AAA)
Newcastle - Biomedical Science (AAA)
Sheffield Hallam - Biomedical Science (104 UCAS )
Nottingham Trent - Biomedical Science (BBB)

My application hasn't sent yet because I'm waiting for my references but it should be gone soon!

Compared to those taking chemistry and maths I'd say we're all on par with each other. While there is a lot of maths in chemistry it's nothing like what you'd get taught in maths A Level and there's no real crossover (this I what I've been told by a friend). In tests the majority of us (maths and non-maths) so far this year have been getting As and Bs so yeah there's no real difference between anyone in my class!

wow, I wish you the best in your references and applications! And thank you, I'm now leaning toward the chemistry+biology+psychology+PRE choices for a-level, knowing your experience and from what others have told you have kinda ultimately made my decision. All depends on how well I do in my mock exams which start in 2 days! thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest