The Student Room Group

Should I quit my full time job?

Hi, so I work at a shop full time and have been since January and I'm really starting to dislike it. Customer service just isn't for me and I'm treated very badly by some people I work with. It also just causes me too much stress; it's only meant to be a way of saving up money.

I'm going abroad for 3 months but I'm just not sure when. It could be in January or April, I don't know. I'll be finding out within a week or so. I'll be having to leave my job for that anyway and I'll need £800 for that (I've got well over £800 saved up already though). I'm just a bit worried about quitting now. My notice period is 1 month so running out of money is an issue, as it seems pointless getting a new job when I'm going abroad. As I write this I'm sat in Costa within the post office where I had to post a letter from work, dreading going back there. I'd just like some insight, thank you!
Reply 1
Don't think about quitting until you know when you are going abroad. If you are going abroad in April, you should stay on for a while (with Christmas coming up, the money would be good).
Reply 2
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
Hi, so I work at a shop full time and have been since January and I'm really starting to dislike it. Customer service just isn't for me and I'm treated very badly by some people I work with. It also just causes me too much stress; it's only meant to be a way of saving up money.

I'm going abroad for 3 months but I'm just not sure when. It could be in January or April, I don't know. I'll be finding out within a week or so. I'll be having to leave my job for that anyway and I'll need £800 for that (I've got well over £800 saved up already though). I'm just a bit worried about quitting now. My notice period is 1 month so running out of money is an issue, as it seems pointless getting a new job when I'm going abroad. As I write this I'm sat in Costa within the post office where I had to post a letter from work, dreading going back there. I'd just like some insight, thank you!

If it's not making you happy, then you should leave. Listen to your gut instinct and go for it.
Original post by Airmed
Don't think about quitting until you know when you are going abroad. If you are going abroad in April, you should stay on for a while (with Christmas coming up, the money would be good).
Thanks for your reply, although I can't stand the thought of having to be there until April :s-smilie: I suppose, worse comes to worse, I could sell things on eBay
Original post by Roy101
If it's not making you happy, then you should leave. Listen to your gut instinct and go for it.
This is what I'm leaning towards. At this point I'm only really staying there due to fear of what things will be like if I don't
Reply 5
This is what I'm leaning towards. At this point I'm only really staying there due to fear of what things will be like if I don't

life will guide you to the right decision. If you really don't want to stay then you don't have too, if you know in your heart you SHOULD leave, then you just have to go along with that idea! Forget about the fear in your brain, you heart is telling you, you should leave. Don't torture yourself to stay, it's not healthy.

but I'm not in your position, so I don't exactly know 100% what you are going through. Just take a deep breathe, and decide what you want to do, it's up to you!

I hope this helps!

Good luck x
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Roy101
life will guide you to the right decision. If you really don't want to stay then you don't have too, if you know in your heart you SHOULD leave, then you just have to go along with that idea! Forget about the fear in your brain, you heart is telling you, you should leave. Don't torture yourself to stay, it's not healthy.

but I'm not in your position, so I don't exactly know 100% what you are going through. Just take a deep breathe, and decide what you want to do, it's up to you!

I hope this helps!

Good luck x
Thank you, this helps a lot! I suppose when it comes down to it, it's a question of 'what's more important - money or my well-being' :smile:
Thank you, this helps a lot! I suppose when it comes down to it, it's a question of 'what's more important - money or my well-being' :smile:

You say running out of money is a concern, what happens if you do run out of money? If it doesnt affect you then thats fine but if it does then take that into consideration too.

What about when you get back from abroad as well? when will your next chance to get money be after that
Original post by madmadmax321
You say running out of money is a concern, what happens if you do run out of money? If it doesnt affect you then thats fine but if it does then take that into consideration too.

What about when you get back from abroad as well? when will your next chance to get money be after that
I've got savings to tide me over, and I'm not a big spender anyway. In fact I like the idea of working part time instead of full time. Selling things on eBay and doing Avon are also ideas.

I'm not sure yet what I'll do when I get back; I'll cross that bridge when I come to it I suppose. I doubt my job would let me take 3 months off anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending