The Student Room Group

What subjects do you wish you could have chosen and which you regret for GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

I regret choosing art. I really enjoyed it in year 9, but by the time I got to the end of year 11 I hated it because I found it so stressful and was really self concious about all my art work and didn't like people seeing it; I'd never ask my teacher for help/guidance because I was too nervous!
Original post by SelGomezIsLife
I chose:
- Citizenship
- History
- Music
- Art
- Food Technology

I wish I didn't pick art or music. I only picked music because I play 2 instruments and I was told I would do well in it considering that i play instruments.
Music bores me. Stresses me out and i'm not doing well at it despite what other people said.
As for art, I only picked that because i like being creative and I thought it would be a good subject to do since I wanna be a makeup artist. Sadly my art skills are poor and art is a really hard subject for me. So I regret that.

Instead I wish I'd have picked another humanities subject since I do well in those. Something like Child Development or Sociology

I am considering music, since my teacher has recommended the course.
What do you do in the course?
:smile:
Original post by Daisy2001
I regret choosing art. I really enjoyed it in year 9, but by the time I got to the end of year 11 I hated it because I found it so stressful and was really self concious about all my art work and didn't like people seeing it; I'd never ask my teacher for help/guidance because I was too nervous!

I've heard alot of complaints about art. Maybe its better for peeple with less subjects, since they have more time do to the art work.
What is entailed in art that makes it so stressful?
Original post by Purdy7
I chose sociology - a total waste of time, never used it since and probably never well. The ones I've used the most were Home Economics (which was cooking and needlework), history and English, never had much of a use of maths, except every employer insists on it these days.

Do you recommend History?
It seems really hard since there is alot of writing involved.
Original post by DyingWhale21
I've heard alot of complaints about art. Maybe its better for peeple with less subjects, since they have more time do to the art work.
What is entailed in art that makes it so stressful?

I think it was mainly the amount of work to do, it made it really hard to start properly revising for other subjects when I had so much art work to do every week. Plus I don't think I ever really understood how the project format worked and what you got marks for so I never really knew if I was doing the right thing which was stressful too. I probably should have spoken to my teacher about it, but at the time I was too nervous to as I'm quite shy.
Totally regret doing Art, took up so much of my time and made me not do as well in my other subjects as I hoped to do
i hate health and social and evrything
Reply 27

I never did History, but it was one I would have liked to do as I've always been interested in the subject. I should imagine it's a hard one due to all the dates and places etc one needs to learn. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
I am considering music, since my teacher has recommended the course.
What do you do in the course?
:smile:

Well there's BTEC music and GCSE music, I'm assuming your asking about GCSE. I do AQA and for this there are 3 sections. Composing, Performing and Understanding/Listening. For Composing you have to compose 2 songs. One is done in Year 10 where you have complete freedom to compile a song of your choice. Then in Year 11 you are given a theme and you must compose a song to that specific theme. For Performing you have to do 2 different performances. One is a solo performance and one is an ensemble. Finally you have understanding/listening where you will have a test where you listen to multiple pieces of music and you have to pick them apart and analyse them. For example you comment on it's texture and whether its homophonic or polyphonic etc etc

I would recommend GCSE if you can sing or play an instrument since it really comes in handy when you come to do the performing aspect of the course. However I know some people in my class that can't sing and dont play a specific instrument but they can play the keyboard good enough to do a performance on it.

BTEC is more theory driven so if you prefer theory music or you cant sing or play an instrument of some sort then this would be better

Here is the link to the specification for AQA, just if your curious
GCSE Music Specification Specification for first teaching in 2016
I chose Triple Science, French, History and Music. Regretted everyone apart from science.
Hello TSR community!
I was wondering what subjects people regret doing or want to do, because I am currently starting to choose which ones I'd go for.

I wish I had chosen Electronics over Economics.
Original post by Nikey
I'd definitely recommend doing all three sciences. Physics is by far my weakest science but if you put in the hard work you'll be fine - I just got an 8 on my mock (I was a 5 last year). Definitely worth it.

I'd also like to ask which do you prefer between History and Religious Studies?
From what I gathered;
History- Interesting but heavy and hard work.
RS- Passable but quite easy.
Is that true?
Original post by smirreh14
I chose Triple Science, French, History and Music. Regretted everyone apart from science.

Could you tell me more about history? I'm stuck between History and RS.
Reply 33
I wish that RE wasn't compulsory, but an option. I'd have done something else like History or Graphics or Engineering
Reply 34

Look at what topics you will be studying and if you like the look of them, then take it.
I didn't take history because it was mainly before the times that I like.
I like modern history.
Original post by NBingham
Look at what topics you will be studying and if you like the look of them, then take it.
I didn't take history because it was mainly before the times that I like.
I like modern history.

Ah I see, well the topics I have include World War I, WWII, 1919-1923 Peace Treaties, League of Nations, Weimar Republic, Rise of Nazis and Life within the Third Reich.

The assessments seem to require a lot of writing.
Thank you for your help! It really has helped me in my decision.
Reply 36
Ah I see, well the topics I have include World War I, WWII, 1919-1923 Peace Treaties, League of Nations, Weimar Republic, Rise of Nazis and Life within the Third Reich.

The assessments seem to require a lot of writing.
Thank you for your help! It really has helped me in my decision.

cool.
My school's history course involved the Cold War, the Suffragettes and 18-19th century Britain.
I prefer what you're doing
Well I think it’ll be different as I did WJEC, but it is the most gruelling GCSE there is, asks too much of you but if you are interested in it by all means go for it, I just regret it bc it had nothing to do with what I wanted to do for A level.
I'd also like to ask which do you prefer between History and Religious Studies?
From what I gathered;
History- Interesting but heavy and hard work.
RS- Passable but quite easy.
Is that true?

I don't do History but I'd have liked to.

Some of my friends do it. It's a heavy workload and your essay technique needs to be good, but it's interesting.

Religious Studies is quite a lot easier imo, and it's equally as interesting as it involves a lot of philosophical arguments and debates.

Depends on your interests. Hope I've helped a bit :smile:
I chose Music, Performing Arts and Art. I also chose Full Course Welsh and Short Course RE. I'm happy with all of these. I wish I could have done a Musical Theatre thing though. That would have been fun.

Quick Reply

Latest