The Student Room Group

Oxford Physics: PAT test discussion

Scroll to see replies

Actually as the cosine is positive the angle is in I or IV quarter so positive sine means positive angle and vice versea. Therefore we only have 2 sets (1/2+pi/6+2pi*k ans -1/2-pi/6+2pi*k)
Original post by Electric-man7
Guys predicted shortlist threshold?

I don't know, dude. I am hoping that it's less than 50. I'll get some score in the range of 55-60. I have a bad feeling that the cutoff will be 55.
What do u think? And how much do u expect to score?
Around 55 is what I am expecting, If I am lucky I'll get 65+
Guys I if managed to find the equations of the circles and drew them well, and drew the tangents but could not find their lenghts how much will I get?

Around 55 is what I am expecting, If I am lucky I'll get 65+

55 = your score or cutoff expectation?!
Original post by cooltejaskd
I don't know, dude. I am hoping that it's less than 50. I'll get some score in the range of 55-60. I have a bad feeling that the cutoff will be 55.
What do u think? And how much do u expect to score?

It won't be 50 or less; but it might be closer to 55 though.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BIRpKNvDuyJEH4Trfy-avs8abOyUPYu2lk_4_BNeP5w/edit?usp=sharing Even my data would suggest this is a little high! :O
(edited 6 years ago)
Without tangent line lengths... I think 6 out of 9.
Original post by DrSebWilkes
It won't be 50 or less; but it might be closer to 55 though.

What makes u say so? The general trends?
When do we know if we get an interview?
Oh... U mean to say the in the 4 general ones that I am talking about, 2 will be redundant cuz they'll be the same? Yeah, I guess.

Not eactly,
For t you get +- 1/6 pi +2kpi

Then to get x you plug this in to x=a(omega t - sin t)
Because 2kpi doenst matter for sinx you get
X=a(omega(1/6 pi +2kpi) -1/2) or X=a(omega(-1/6 pi +2kpi) + 1/2)
What makes u say so? The general trends?

Yeah as I mentioned above, using data from the TSR poll on the matter (everyone plz vote! Makes for more reliable data!!) and also because of the fact even in 2012, there were 20 marks were almost impossible to get hold of, but the pass mark was not 20 marks lower than 50 - conclusion: the paper was easy apart from the final 20 marks.

And the fact is that paper wasn't mega difficult as people made it out to be if we exclude the final 20 marks or so; combine this with more people applying, and it's not hard to see this will probably have a similar cut off point to that of the 2014 paper.
Link to poll?
Original post by zemaitistrys
Actually as the cosine is positive the angle is in I or IV quarter so positive sine means positive angle and vice versea. Therefore we only have 2 sets (1/2+pi/6+2pi*k ans -1/2-pi/6+2pi*k)

I think you mistake cos for sin
Personally this paper is on the same level as the 2012 paper.
Yeah as I mentioned above, using data from the TSR poll on the matter (everyone plz vote! Makes for more reliable data!!) and also because of the fact even in 2012, there were 20 marks were almost impossible to get hold of, but the pass mark was not 20 marks lower than 50 - conclusion: the paper was easy apart from the final 20 marks.

And the fact is that paper wasn't mega difficult as people made it out to be if we exclude the final 20 marks or so; combine this with more people applying, and it's not hard to see this will probably have a similar cut off point to that of the 2014 paper.

That is, assuming that people vote properly!!

Apart from, say, 25 marks.... Yes. The paper was alright.
BTW the integration question required the "Leibniz's integral rule" ... I mean who da*** would have known that?!
BTW the integration question required the "Leibniz's integral rule" ... I mean who da*** would have known that?!

Umm Idk what that is. But I found the Calculus question very easy. Did it in 5 lines. The answer is posted somewhere above by someone.
Umm Idk what that is. But I found the Calculus question very easy. Did it in 5 lines. The answer is posted somewhere above by someone.

No, that's technically incorrect. For a department that does maths for a living, they won't have got it wrong intentionally. I know you mean 448/5 t^13 and that's wrong.

If that were right, t=0
No, that's technically incorrect. For a department that does maths for a living, they won't have got it wrong intentionally.

However, the PAT says that FULL marks will be given to a correct answer regardless of HOW u got the answer! :wink:
So, that answer is wrong? The FINAL answer... Not the method.
However, the PAT says that FULL marks will be given to a correct answer regardless of HOW u got the answer! :wink:

Then you won't get full marks because you didn't get the right answer. :|

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending