The Student Room Group

Potentially Rejected From Job. Move on?

Hi,

So basically, I literally went for a job interview two weeks ago. Had like 3 interviews on the same day - two with two different hiring managers and one with HR. I felt that I didn't really get along with one of them well in the interview and also felt the place may have been a bit "high end" for me. Anyways, a job is a job and seeing as it was close to home I felt that it was ideally a good place to be in my current situation.

At the end of the interview day, the HR contact told me that I would definitely hear back from them a week on from the interview. It has now been 2 weeks and they haven't got back to me! I also asked another applicant if they had heard back to which they have said no. They never responded back to my thank you email that I had sent out on the same day after the interview.

The thing is, usually with job interviews that I have been to in the past I have always known after a week especially ones that hired me. I've got a feeling that the HR at this company is really really bad and unprofessional. But I need a job bad and know that if I get offered it - it will boost me personally and professionally.

Thinking if I have been rejected and whether I should just call them up myself?
Original post by wa5ted
Hi,

So basically, I literally went for a job interview two weeks ago. Had like 3 interviews on the same day - two with two different hiring managers and one with HR. I felt that I didn't really get along with one of them well in the interview and also felt the place may have been a bit "high end" for me. Anyways, a job is a job and seeing as it was close to home I felt that it was ideally a good place to be in my current situation.

At the end of the interview day, the HR contact told me that I would definitely hear back from them a week on from the interview. It has now been 2 weeks and they haven't got back to me! I also asked another applicant if they had heard back to which they have said no. They never responded back to my thank you email that I had sent out on the same day after the interview.

The thing is, usually with job interviews that I have been to in the past I have always known after a week especially ones that hired me. I've got a feeling that the HR at this company is really really bad and unprofessional. But I need a job bad and know that if I get offered it - it will boost me personally and professionally.

Thinking if I have been rejected and whether I should just call them up myself?

You are entitled to call them.

Odd if they gave you so many interviews. i would not be hopeful, but there could be other reasons such as the person who makes the decision being ill or away. they offered it to someone else and are waiting to hear from them so you could be reserve.

They could also be rubbish, disorganized and rude.

Just call them to know one way or the other.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You are entitled to call them.

Odd if they gave you so many interviews. i would not be hopeful, but there could be other reasons such as the person who makes the decision being ill or away. they offered it to someone else and are waiting to hear from them so you could be reserve.

They could also be rubbish, disorganized and rude.

Just call them to know one way or the other.

Thanks for replying to my thread. Yeah it was literally three back-to-back interviews on the very same day for the same company. I know I was part of the first cohort of applicants to be called in and know well that I was at the last stage of the process.

I did try chasing up and calling up the HR contact today several times. No answer - they may have been away. I guess Monday is when I will be chasing again, by then it would have been 3 weeks since my interview. I've asked another applicant as to whether they have heard back and they have also said no
The same thing happend to me but I was hired.I had been told that I had got the job and they did a dbs check then a month later I emailed them and they didn't reply so I just gave up.
Reply 4
Original post by Katie G Barker
The same thing happend to me but I was hired.I had been told that I had got the job and they did a dbs check then a month later I emailed them and they didn't reply so I just gave up.

Really? That is strange, I've never had that happen to me after I was hired by my past two employers. Was the opposite lol, they were chasing me like a dog for all of my paperwork - which at the time I wasn't too happy about but now can appreciate it. Sorry you are going through it, I honestly hate all HR departments
Reply 5
Got information from HR a few days ago to say that the hiring managers have been busy with other things and that I will hear back about the hiring decision too. In a way, I am happy to have heard this news as it at least means I'm still in it. For sure, I'm taking this job if it is offered to me, jobs usually change me until I CBA for life again lol.
Reply 6
Had the same thing happen to me, but after 8 INTERVIEWS, gutted.
Reply 7
Original post by jb9390
Had the same thing happen to me, but after 8 INTERVIEWS, gutted.

Yeah it is a sad world we live it when it comes to a career and working life. But what can we do, sometimes we just gotta wait and take the first opportunity we get.

Personally, if I owned my own company I would make it a policy to inform every candidate as to whether they got the job or not
Reply 8
Original post by wa5ted
Yeah it is a sad world we live it when it comes to a career and working life. But what can we do, sometimes we just gotta wait and take the first opportunity we get.

Personally, if I owned my own company I would make it a policy to inform every candidate as to whether they got the job or not

It's really tough to pick yourself up. Been unemployed for six months now and can't really see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Reply 9
Original post by jb9390
It's really tough to pick yourself up. Been unemployed for six months now and can't really see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Got to stay strong fam. Easier said than done. I've been in your situation before last year and am currently in the same situation now! Except I've been unemployed two months. A lot of my friends and family been telling me to stay strong. I've questioned my life and why I am still living - suicidal thoughts. But I realised that there is more to life than having no friends or job. In my case, I am the oldest in my family and my youngers really look up to me and rely on me for a lot of things. So if I was dead they would struggle for the rest of their lives and I guess this leadership role is what really got me strong again.

I've decided to look into non IT jobs - a career change. Maybe you should consider changing your field. I know it sucks but its a plan B
Reply 10
After contacting them, they told me that they would contact me this week. However I still haven't heard back from them which means I have been rejected right?

It's been over 3 weeks since my last interview and they did apologize to me for the delay due to internal issues and what not. However, this in itself has kind of put me off. How should I contact them again?
Reply 11
Original post by wa5ted
After contacting them, they told me that they would contact me this week. However I still haven't heard back from them which means I have been rejected right?

It's been over 3 weeks since my last interview and they did apologize to me for the delay due to internal issues and what not. However, this in itself has kind of put me off. How should I contact them again?

Did they give you a day that you would hear back this week?

Don't let it put you off. Interviewers have lots going on aside from interviewing. I would just send a short email to your HR contact requesting an update/reiterating your interest in the role.

Something similar happened to me and HR let me know that it's because a decision hasn't been made yet. I would just wait it out and apply for other jobs in the meantime.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by jb9390
Did they give you a day that you would hear back this week?

Don't let it put you off. Interviewers have lots going on aside from interviewing. I would just send a short email to your HR contact requesting an update/reiterating your interest in the role.

Something similar happened to me and HR let me know that it's because a decision hasn't been made yet. I would just wait it out and apply for other jobs in the meantime.

Yeah COB Wednesday 8th November. They (HR) apologized and said that they would be in touch but I have this feeling that they may have rejected me.

They did say that due to internal issues that the hiring managers didn't get back to them - could be true given that their business may have been in a busy phase with stocks and shares. It was a financial business too
Reply 13
Should I follow up on them again? When I last followed up with them they said that I would hear back by COB Wednesday. However it has been a month since I last had an interview with them!
Reply 14
Original post by wa5ted
Should I follow up on them again? When I last followed up with them they said that I would hear back by COB Wednesday. However it has been a month since I last had an interview with them!

Yes, you have nothing to lose by asking again. If they are going to offer you a job they will not retract that offer because you called twice at reasonable intervals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending