The Student Room Group

what is the little 2 in a chemistry equation?

So if Cl^2 is one mole of Cl why can't you just write Cl because it makes sense to
me that that shows one mole. Why do you have to add the ^2?

Scroll to see replies

Cause it's a mole of diatomic chlorine, not a mole of chlorine atoms.
Reply 2
Cl can never exist on it's own, Diatomic...
Original post by onceandnever
So if Cl^2 is one mole of Cl why can't you just write Cl because it makes sense to

It like you've never listened to anything your chemistry teacher has ever said...
Diatomic g.
Original post by Texxers
Cl can never exist on it's own, Diatomic...

It can actually, but not for very long
Original post by Glassapple
It like you've never listened to anything your chemistry teacher has ever said...

I do I just don't understand science very well... at least I'm asking...
Reply 7
Original post by hjy7yihujk
It can actually, but not for very long

Well yeah as a highly reactive radical lol..

#OzoneLaws!
They're diatomic molecules. It needs to be covalently bonded with another molecule of the same element, therefore Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Fluorine, Oxygen, Iodine, Chlorine and Bromine always come in 2 molecules. To remember this, use this mnemonic!

Have No Fear Of Ice Cold Beer

This mnemonic will help you in exams when you need to maybe write an equation! Hope this helps!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ReadilySalted
They're diatomic molecules. All elements in group 7 can't be stable on it's own, it needs to be covalently bonded with another molecule of the same element, therefore Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Fluorine, Oxygen, Iodine, Chlorine and Bromine always come in 2 molecules. To remember this, use this mnemonic!

This mnemonic will help you in exams when you need to maybe write an equation! Hope this helps!!

thank you! That's cleared it all up for me aha
thank you! That's cleared it all up for me aha

Sorry, i didn't mean to put the group 7 part of the periodic table, iv'e edited my other one! And no problem, that's what TSR is made for! :smile:
Original post by Glassapple

Some people find things harder to grasp when compared to others. No need to hate on that person. It's like you never actually learnt to actually realize how what you say can impact someone. The whole point of TSR is to help people out and asking questions on things you might have, don't act like you know everything.:stupid::stupid::stupid::stupid:

What did At do to upset you? (or more likely your teacher)
Original post by itxarinix
The whole point of TSR is to help people out

You haven't been here long, have you?

:smile:

The Cl2 shows that it's two Cl atoms joined together to make a molecule.
Original post by Pigster
What did At do to upset you? (or more likely your teacher)

Apparently scientists haven't observed diatomic astatine and aren't even sure if it exists. It's just too difficult to deal with. From Wikipedia:

"A visible piece of astatine would immediately vaporize itself because of the heat generated by its intense radioactivity."
Original post by TheMindGarage
From Wikipedia:

Had you read on:

"Evidence for (or against) the existence of diatomic astatine (At2) is sparse and inconclusive. Some sources state that it does not exist, or at least has never been observed, while other sources assert or imply its existence."
They're diatomic molecules. It needs to be covalently bonded with another molecule of the same element, therefore Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Fluorine, Oxygen, Iodine, Chlorine and Bromine always come in 2 molecules. To remember this, use this mnemonic!

AlCl3 fam
Original post by The Wavefunction
AlCl3 fam

Yes my brudder
Original post by Pigster
Had you read on:

"Evidence for (or against) the existence of diatomic astatine (At2) is sparse and inconclusive. Some sources state that it does not exist, or at least has never been observed, while other sources assert or imply its existence."

I read that. We can't say for sure whether it exists. Since the other halogens are diatomic it might make sense for astantine to be as well, but you can't just assume a pattern will continue indefinitely.

In any case it probably makes little difference because nobody really works with astatine.

Quick Reply

Latest