The Student Room Group

Are you learning to drive in a manual or automatic car?

Poll

Which kind of car are you learning to drive?

I am learning in a manual and as much as I hate dealing with gears sometimes, I agree with the saying "learn in a manual, then you can drive anything". I've noticed that a lot of people are starting to learn in automatic cars now. My mum is learning in an automatic car atm since she could never grasp a manual car and all the gear work and thats what put her off going back to driving when she was younger but now that my stepdad is ill and has an automatic mobility car and she has to pass asap, she has went for an automatic and is doing well :yep:

What about you guys? Which kind of car are you learning in?

Scroll to see replies

I learnt to drive a manual but I now drive an automatic
Reply 2
Original post by Rum Ham
I am learning in a manual and as much as I hate dealing with gears sometimes, I agree with the saying "learn in a manual, then you can drive anything". I've noticed that a lot of people are starting to learn in automatic cars now. My mum is learning in an automatic car atm since she could never grasp a manual car and all the gear work and thats what put her off going back to driving when she was younger but now that my stepdad is ill and has an automatic mobility car and she has to pass asap, she has went for an automatic and is doing well :yep:

I learnt to drive in a manual. Generally find them a lot better than automatic. I tought you passed your test?
Reply 3
Original post by Black Water
I learnt to drive in a manual. Generally find them a lot better than automatic. I tought you passed your test?

I've passed my theory but yet to sit my practical. I've just went back to driving lessons after a two year break :smile:
I’m learning to drive manual
Reply 5
Original post by Rum Ham

Everyone i know including myself learned in a manual...after a while switching gears becomes like second nature. I think there is also a kind of stigma that people who learn in an automatic are just lazy. However cars will probably drive themselves in the future so i guess ultimately it doesn't matter which type you decide to learn in. >_<
Reply 6
Original post by Rum Ham
I've passed my theory but yet to sit my practical. I've just went back to driving lessons after a two year break :smile:

Oh right. Good luck with your lessons and your test. :smile: I heard that they're changing the test now.
Automatic because I'm a lazy cow
Reply 8
Oh right. Good luck with your lessons and your test. :smile: I heard that they're changing the test now.

Thanks :smile: Yeah I think it changes on 4th Dec. I'm going to book mine with my Christmas money and hopefully sit it around end of Jan/mid Feb :smile:
Manual is the best way to do it (unless you're unable to drive a manual for personal reasons), as you'll then have both manual and automatic entitlements :ahee:.

Original post by Rum Ham
Thanks :smile: Yeah I think it changes on 4th Dec. I'm going to book mine with my Christmas money and hopefully sit it around end of Jan/mid Feb :smile:

The new test is easier (according to the trial statistics) :biggrin: How many lessons have you had for the new spec? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Rum Ham

That's good. :smile: Good luck with your test, it won't be as hard as you think.
Reply 11
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Manual is the best way to do it (unless you're unable to drive a manual for personal reasons), as you'll then have both manual and automatic entitlements :ahee:.

The new test is easier (according to the trial statistics) :biggrin: How many lessons have you had for the new spec? :smile:

Wait...what?
Wait...what?

??
Reply 13

With my old instructors - I had about 15 lessons overall and with my new instructor, I've had 3. Haven't really done anything relating to the new test yet, just brushing up on everything in general so far since I've been out the game for a wee while :colondollar:
Reply 14
??

The test is easier?
Original post by Rum Ham
With my old instructors - I had about 15 lessons overall and with my new instructor, I've had 3. Haven't really done anything relating to the new test yet, just brushing up on everything in general so far since I've been out the game for a wee while :colondollar:

Fair enough! Do you do any private practice? :h:

The test is easier?

According to the trial statistics, yep. Although this came to a shock to myself as well.
Reply 16

Not any more since I am currently car-less :frown: we got rid of our car in August after it failed its MOT and after being quoted at how much it would cost to fix, we decided to just scrap it and save up for a new car. Miss my car so much :cry2:
Reply 17
That's so crap then. lol I'm so glad I leaned using a manual car.
Reply 18

According to the trial statistics, yep. Although this came to a shock to myself as well.

Yeah. Always assumed that the new one would be harder to pass.
I passed the automatic test after 1 two hour lesson and a few hours practice in a friend's car.

**** manuals. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending