The Student Room Group

Year 12 Maths Study Group (new spec!)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _gcx
Must be nice being the only one in your class! How are you finding that so far? :h:

Its great, its not an official A level run by my sixth form, but my math teacher said i could since he said i was capable (and i really wanted too). Since its not an official A level the school runs it doesn't fit in the schools time-tabling system, so my timetable only has maths and physics, and once a week i have a further maths lesson with my teacher, i would have gone over the chapter briefly before and then we fly through it and i do all the questions in the chapter and it works so well. The books came a month into the term so i only started the A level 2 weeks ago. Saying that however, my further maths teacher is my normal math teacher, so he always helps me if i get stuck but it is great. We've only done complex and i got set Argand diagrams over the half term which im looking forward too :biggrin:
Original post by Lemur14

Welcome to the Year 12 Maths Study Group:party2:

As maths is the most popular A level subject nationally, we thought that we should have a community for all the year 12s taking maths to get help on any maths problems they have and talk about all things maths! You can ask questions in this thread, or you can post it in the maths forum here.

I'll be adding more resources as time goes on (and more are released for the new spec!) but I'll start off with these:

Specifications

Other resources

This thread is for anything maths, but to start off discussion, try answering some of these questions:
Are you taking single or double maths?
What exam board are you on?
Are you being entered in for any exams this year?
What optional modules are you doing for further maths (if applicable)?
What's your favourite topic so far?
What do you want to study at uni?

All the usual maths posting guidelines apply (as well as the community guidelines), so please bear this in mind when posting!

Are you taking single or double maths? - Single
What exam board are you on? - Edexcel
Are you being entered in for any exams this year? - No
What's your favourite topic so far? - Binomial Expansion
What do you want to study at uni? - Medicine

Add me to the tag list too please?
(edited 4 years ago)
Stats, I hate it with a burning passion.

All info regarding my exam board etc can be found on my profile.
Original post by Ukvoltaire
Are you taking single or double maths? - Single
What exam board are you on? - Edexcel
Are you being entered in for any exams this year? - No
What's your favourite topic so far? - Binomial Expansion
What do you want to study at uni? - Medicine

Add me to the tag list too please?

The tag list was just so the thread could gain some attention rather than getting lost in the maths forum :smile: If we do decide to use it for anything else though then we'll probably tag everyone who's posted in the thread as that's easier lol
Original post by etothepiiplusone
Really? Wow thanks for letting us know, though I doubt there will be anything more than a few trivial changes, specification-wise.

What do you think?

STEP I will be very similar to STEP I now, STEP III fairly similar to STEP III now (some things in, some things out). STEP II will be half way between the two (with some AS F maths knowledge in). We should be in a position to publish the new spec in February, but it will have to be carefully done so that it doesn't get confused with the current one for STEP 2018 candidates. It may be delayed a little for that reason.

The style of the questions will remain very similar though - working through past papers (and using the STEP support programme) will still be a good preparation. The SSP will be re-jigged after June to reflect the new syllabus (but I expect the "foundation modules" to remain the same).
Original post by Notnek
@Zacken provided some info here. I don't know if any plans have been made since then.

Have now read this (and feel slightly more relaxed that I haven't said too much or things that shouldn't be out in the open yet).

The 2019 spec has been drafted and is currently being reviewed. Should be finalised in Feb (and will definitely by available before the summer). Any one wanting to start preparing in year 12 can't go far wrong if they look at STEP I papers and the STEP support programme Foundation modules.
This started off so well and then died :sad:

How are people finding the maths now (hopefully) everyone has moved on from GCSE stuff?
Original post by Lemur14
This started off so well and then died :sad:

How are people finding the maths now (hopefully) everyone has moved on from GCSE stuff?

Honestly I haven’t found double maths too much of a step up from GCSE😅 I still haven’t been revising much for tests, although we haven’t met anything that challenging yet (I have started looking through notes and doing the odd question the night before though, while I used to always wing GCSE tests!)

I’m surprised how much I enjoy doing 9 and a half hours of maths lessons a week though; that’s probably mostly down to having pretty good maths teachers for once (although I’ll actually be losing one this half term, due to her switching to part time, and the other later on this year, when she goes on maternity leave!)

What about you?

Edit: okay now I think about it there is some maths stuff I’m just not liking on the spec😂 like vectors omg my FM class just hates them
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Pastelx
Honestly I haven’t found double maths too much of a step up from GCSE😅 I still haven’t been revising much for tests, although we haven’t met anything that challenging yet (I have started looking through notes and doing the odd question the night before though, while I used to always wing GCSE tests!)

I’m surprised how much I enjoy doing 9 and a half hours of maths lessons a week though; that’s probably mostly down to having pretty good maths teachers for once (although I’ll actually be losing one this half term, due to her switching to part time, and the other later on this year, when she goes on maternity leave!)

What about you?

Edit: okay now I think about it there is some maths stuff I’m just not liking on the spec😂 like vectors omg my FM class just hates them

Good to hear you're not finding it too difficult! Same really, 8 basically just do homework and not much else :colondollar:
I'm loving having so much maths as well. Time wise it's only an extra 50% on top of last year, but proportionally it's much higher :biggrin: My teachers are generally good but my further maths teacher always goes too fast the first time she works through anything which is a little irritating.
We've just started vectors... I haven't been finding them too hard so far even when we started combining them randomly with matrices, but I agree they're not the most enjoyable bit of maths
Are you doing the SMC tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Good to hear you're not finding it too difficult! Same really, 8 basically just do homework and not much else :colondollar:
I'm loving having so much maths as well. Time wise it's only an extra 50% on top of last year, but proportionally it's much higher :biggrin: My teachers are generally good but my further maths teacher always goes too fast the first time she works through anything which is a little irritating.
We've just started vectors... I haven't been finding them too hard so far even when we started combining them randomly with matrices, but I agree they're not the most enjoyable bit of maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not me, but other people in my school are doing it!
Not me, but other people in my school are doing it!

All 600 maths and further maths students in my year are doing it! And I'm pretty sure the 600 year 13s are doing it as well :lol: It's a shame you're not doing it, they're quite fun (even if I do sort of fail at them :hide:)
Original post by Lemur14
All 600 maths and further maths students in my year are doing it! And I'm pretty sure the 600 year 13s are doing it as well :lol: It's a shame you're not doing it, they're quite fun (even if I do sort of fail at them :hide:)

Yeah, it is a shame! I forgot to put my name forward so that's why! I do remember doing the maths challenge in Year 9 though. I think I got Bronze for that!
Yeah, it is a shame! I forgot to put my name forward so that's why! I do remember doing the maths challenge in Year 9 though. I think I got Bronze for that!

Ohh, my school automatically puts everyone in taking maths/fm so it even people who don't want to do it are doing it...
Nice, well done! I'm just about scraping silvers on the SMC...hoping it all goes better tomorrow and I come out with a gold :flute:
Yeah, good luck!
Yeah, good luck!

Thank you!
How's everyone feeling about the SMC tomorrow? :P I really want a gold but the boundaries have been pretty high in the past. Hope it goes ok!
Original post by PixelatedUnicorn
How's everyone feeling about the SMC tomorrow? :P I really want a gold but the boundaries have been pretty high in the past. Hope it goes ok!

Basically same...got a silver in the only practise paper I've done, but hoping for gold tomorrow!
Original post by Lemur14

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah honestly I just find vectors a bit irrelevant😅 and 3D shapes have always been a bit iffy for me so 3D vectors are a pain!

Yeah I’m doing the SMC! Honestly I don’t really want to do it, but everyone else in my class is doing it so it was either sit it or have a free🤷🏻 I already did the MOG this year, and I have the team maths challenge next week, so I’m getting a bit tired out of the UKMT challenges! Are you?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Pastelx
Yeah honestly I just find vectors a bit irrelevant😅 and 3D shapes have always been a bit iffy for me so 3D vectors are a pain!

Yeah I’m doing the SMC! Honestly I don’t really want to do it, but everyone else in my class is doing it so it was either sit it or have a free🤷🏻 I already did the MOG this year, and I have the team maths challenge next week, so I’m getting a bit tired out of the UKMT challenges! Are you?

I KNOW THE FEELING. I'm really enjoying preparing for the Team Maths Challenges, I love the cross-number... literally want a whole paper of that tomorrow...
Original post by PixelatedUnicorn
I KNOW THE FEELING. I'm really enjoying preparing for the Team Maths Challenges, I love the cross-number... literally want a whole paper of that tomorrow...

You’re preparing for it? Our Y13s want a run through of the last round one lunchtime and I thought that was a bit ott😂 I though everyone just wings the team challenge😅

Well good luck tomorrow and for the team challenges!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest