The Student Room Group

babysitting

I'm babysitting for one evening (7-12) for my neighbours in a couple of weeks.

They have an almost 2 year old who will already be in bed by the time I get there, and a 5 year old. Will the younger child need a nappy change in the few hours I'm there?!?!

I'm not sure how much they're planning on paying me but I feel awkward taking it if it's more than about 10 pounds.

All I have to do is let the older child read to me, tell her to go to bed and then sit in their house while i do my work or something for a few hours.

I find it awks because I barely know them.
You should ask the parents if the child will need a nappy change. Why are you babysitting if it isn't for the money? Why are they letting someone they barely know take care of their children?
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
You should ask the parents if the child will need a nappy change. Why are you babysitting if it isn't for the money? Why are they letting someone they barely know take care of their children?

i'm doing it for money obvs but i still feel bad because they usually get grandparents to do it and i'm not doing much except sitting in the house while the children sleep.

They live a few houses away from me. They are good friends with my neighbours who I am good friends with and so we've spoken a few times over the years. They saw me getting out of my driving lesson so realised I was 17 (whereas my neighbours are 15 and 16) and needed someone to babysit.
Reply 3
£10 is nothing if you’re there from 7-12, they’d be taking the piss, so I definitely wouldn’t feel bad because you should be getting around £20+. Just ask/text them and ask what you’d need to be doing on the night but babysitting is easy so just be sensible and it’ll be fine.
Original post by Anonymous
i'm doing it for money obvs but i still feel bad because they usually get grandparents to do it and i'm not doing much except sitting in the house while the children sleep.

They live a few houses away from me. They are good friends with my neighbours who I am good friends with and so we've spoken a few times over the years. They saw me getting out of my driving lesson so realised I was 17 (whereas my neighbours are 15 and 16) and needed someone to babysit.

Exactly you're getting paid for sitting around! That's perfect!
Reply 5
Get paid as much as you can from them because there'll become a point in your life where you don't get paid nearly as much you should
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I'm babysitting for one evening (7-12) for my neighbours in a couple of weeks.

They have an almost 2 year old who will already be in bed by the time I get there, and a 5 year old. Will the younger child need a nappy change in the few hours I'm there?!?!

I'm not sure how much they're planning on paying me but I feel awkward taking it if it's more than about 10 pounds.

All I have to do is let the older child read to me, tell her to go to bed and then sit in their house while i do my work or something for a few hours.

I find it awks because I barely know them.

They are paying you a good price you give you incentive to care for their children well and thank you for not letting a fox eat them or something.
Minimum wage is a good basis for what is okay so take a look at that. If they pay you more than that you can feel a bit awkward, but anything up to that is totally appropriate even on a casual arrangement level.

2yo might need a change. Ask parents if they are pottying themselves at all yet, where their stuff is and all that just in case you need to sort that out.
It's not a big deal at all- if they smell or have a wet nappy take the old nappy off, wipe and shove on another. 2yo is probably in pull ups too so no faffing about with sticky tabs or anything either. If it is a proper nappy just put it on however the one you took off was. Simple.

Just ask the parents what will need doing and if you can pop by before for a little while just to get to know the kids and so they can show you anything you need to know. If you have any questions just ask.

You'll be fine :smile:
This is the easiest job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending