The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why are people NOT homophobic??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manitude
Not once in my life have I (a straight man) had anyone from the LGBT community try and shove any sort of agenda down my throat.

Religious people and political extremists on the other hand...

Can you please highlight the occassions religious people and political extremists have tried to shove an agenda down your throat?
Reply 121
Original post by RoyalBeams
Can you please highlight the occassions religious people and political extremists have tried to shove an agenda down your throat?

Go out of Stratford station any day of the week, there is a veritable army of the blighters.
Because it’s a good thing if 2 people love each other regardless of gender? Why would I be against it? It doesn’t affect me negatively.

Right, well for religious people: every time people try to stop me in the street to convert me to their religion by telling me I'm going to hell or whatever. It's happened on multiple occasions with different types of religion. I made the mistake of engaging them in conversation once.

For political extremists. I've had people tell me I'm a traitor for voting Remain. I've had someone try to convince me that Britain was the cradle of civilisation and that we brought civilisation to every corner of the world, he really REALLY wanted me to convince me that any other ethnicity than our own is terrible. I've also had people tell me I'm a "basically a fascist" because I'm generally against political violence of people with far right views and they've tried to essentially intimidate me into agreeing with them. I've also had extremists try to tell me that most of the music I listen to is made by Nazis (which it isn't) and that I shouldn't support music made by people who they don't agree with politically.

That enough examples for you?
What is disrespect?

Having an opinion that does not support homosexuality?

Have you spoken to my doctor and he gave you my private information?

1. To the level it amounts to harassment or some other public order offence.
2. Already said having an opinion is fine, but dont expect other people to approve.
3. Why ask your Dr when I can ask you?

See you gave up the homophobic broadcasting idea as stupid.
What do you mean by "affecting others"?

If they find it "offensive", it should be censored?

Where it amounts to a public order or an equality offence.
Original post by Texxers
They love shoving their agenda up people's throats. Their little marches and anti-biological nature.

1) They don't. I've never, ever experienced LGBT people shoving their agenda "up"(?) my throat.
2) If I want to be picky, their "little marches" aren't little - São Paulo's Pride festival was attended by 5,000,000 people. But you're probably going to argue that this is shoving their agenda "up" people's throats lmao
3) Homosexual behaviour has been recorded in more than 500 animals, so it's 100% natural, mate. If you think that biology is nothing but heterosexual reproduction then I'm guessing you probably have never studied Biology past Year 7.
Original post by Napp
Go out of Stratford station any day of the week, there is a veritable army of the blighters.

Please specifically highlight how they are forcing their agenda down your throat by being outside Stratford station.

Have you never had the Jehovah's banging on your door?
I don't care. I find it awkward when men flirt with me though.
Original post by Manitude
Right, well for religious people: every time people try to stop me in the street to convert me to their religion by telling me I'm going to hell or whatever. It's happened on multiple occasions with different types of religion. I made the mistake of engaging them in conversation once.

For political extremists. I've had people tell me I'm a traitor for voting Remain. I've had someone try to convince me that Britain was the cradle of civilisation and that we brought civilisation to every corner of the world, he really REALLY wanted me to convince me that any other ethnicity than our own is terrible. I've also had people tell me I'm a "basically a fascist" because I'm generally against political violence of people with far right views and they've tried to essentially intimidate me into agreeing with them. I've also had extremists try to tell me that most of the music I listen to is made by Nazis (which it isn't) and that I shouldn't support music made by people who they don't agree with politically.

That enough examples for you?

Yes, that is enough. I did not expect any different, it was the argument I was expecting. Thanks for giving the specific examples.

Now, if you believe people are "shoving their agenda down your throat" by approaching you on the streets to convert or by arguing against your political positions/decisions, so why do you think it is not "shoving their agenda down your throat" if the entire media puts it on the TV in your living room that you must accept every desires of the LGBT community, it should be in every TV programme/soap you watch and it must be a point of discussion in every political debate? Also, there is the dressing up and dancing on the streets (which the whole street is closed for), just to let people know 'we are here and you have to accept it'.

Can you see why I saw your statement as illogical and bias?
Reply 131
Please specifically highlight how they are forcing their agenda down your throat by being outside Stratford station.

Well lets start with them invading ones personal space, blocking your exit and refusing to leave you be lest you physically remove them or run? Have you ever been there and experienced this? they make those wacko Mormons looks nice.
Original post by 999tigger
1. To the level it amounts to harassment or some other public order offence.

I think you have answered the wrong question because this does not answer my question. Please try again.

What is disrespect?

2. Already said having an opinion is fine, but dont expect other people to approve.

Well, I am not saying any opinion would be universally accepted or must be.

But when you decide to label some as "disrespectful and should not be had" then I can already smell censorship-desire tendencies.

3. Why ask your Dr when I can ask you?

See you gave up the homophobic broadcasting idea as stupid.

Well you are asking me if I have an irrational disorder, so I want to know whether this is based on seeing something on my medical file.

Have you spoken to my doctor without my permission?
Now, if you believe people are "shoving their agenda down your throat" by approaching you on the streets to convert or by arguing against your political positions/decisions, so why do you think it is not "shoving their agenda down your throat" if the entire media puts it on the TV in your living room that you must accept every desires of the LGBT community, it should be in every TV programme/soap you watch and it must be a point of discussion in every political debate? Also, there is the dressing up and dancing on the streets (which the whole street is closed for), just to let people know 'we are here and you have to accept it'.

Would you rather every TV show/soap opera etc was devoid of any and all romance? Or would that be edging too close to asexuality for you to stomach?

The only desire for most of the LGBT community is to be treated the same way as everyone else, which of course means equal representation in works of fiction.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Have you never had the Jehovah's banging on your door?

One or two sundays every month. I tend to tell them to go away or not open the door, without any consequences.

On the other hand, I have LGBT agenda being shoved in every broadcasting medium I access for my news or entertainment on virtually every day of the year, 365, with the stance that any of the issues I refuse to support means I am "intolerant, have a phobia, uncivilised and medieval, a bigot, full of hate etc." and any vocalisation of my objections to the issue can lead to a media witch-hunt and/or an attempt to attack my economic means.

Please highlight to me now which of the 2 communities are "shoving their agenda down my throat", Jehovah witnesses or the LGBT community?
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Would you rather every TV show/soap opera etc was devoid of any and all romance? Or would that be edging too close to asexuality for you to stomach?

The only desire for most of the LGBT community is to be treated the same way as everyone else, which of course means equal representation in works of fiction.

Well, that is a point going at a tangent.

The related point is that there is virtually no religious issues/agenda on majority of my TV shows/soap operas but their is loads of homosexuality issues/agenda.

Now considering the population of religious people being far larger (by large multiples) than the population of homosexuals/LGBT people, so which of these two would you really say is being "shoved down my throat"?
One or two sundays every month. I tend to tell them to go away or not open the door, without any consequences.

On the other hand, I have LGBT agenda being shoved in every broadcasting medium I access for my news or entertainment on virtually every day of the year, 365, with the stance that any of the issues I refuse to support means I am "intolerant, have a phobia, uncivilised and medieval, a bigot, full of hate etc." and any vocalisation of my objections to the issue can lead to a media witch-hunt and/or an attempt to attack my economic means.

Please highlight to me now which of the 2 communities are "shoving their agenda down my throat", Jehovah witnesses or the LGBT community?

I'll go with the ones who feel the need to come and interrupt my life to preach their nonsense at me, rather than the ones who's 'agenda' amounts to 'just let us exist as people please' tbh, but then I'm not a bigot who thinks another persons sex life is my business and gets annoyed that people on tv represent more than just me.
Where it amounts to a public order or an equality offence.

If an action or statement is already against the law, then it is already covered by the statutes.

So why censor the things that don't break such laws because you find them "disrespectful" or "offensive"?
Original post by Texxers
So I'm abnormal for having an opinion that's different to the average user on TSR 😂😂😂😂😂😂?

They weren't saying that you're abnormal, just that they disagree with you.

Personally, I don't fully understand a homophobic/transphobic mentality. I know you claim that the "issue affects you," and first of all I'd like to query why that is. I'd also like to point out that for many people across the world their sexuality affects their happiness and personal safety far more than others' currently affects you. Take the "gay purge" in Chechnya; people are literally being killed just for the shape of the genitals of the person they love.

As for the LGBTQ+ community "shoving it down your throat" and having gay pride, I'd suggest a few methods for dealing with this;
- Don't go to gay pride;
- Don't actively seek out confrontation with people who are just trying to live their life;
- Consider that this is a group which has historically been marginalised and oppressed, which understandably leads to a new wave of people enjoying the expression they are now free to show;
- Further consider that if society was truly equal and non-discriminatory, people wouldn't care about who we love or how we express our gender identity, and therefore people wouldn't "shove it down [your] throat"
why are people not heterophobic is a better question 😂😂😂

Latest