The Student Room Group

Feminists

Would you consider being for woman’s rights the same as a feminist ?

I don’t consider myself a feminist lol they seem anti men everything, but I am for woman’s rights of course.
Of course you are.
There are different branches of feminism:
- liberal feminism
- Marxist feminism
- radical feminism
- black feminism

Feminism overall refers to the belief that both sexes should have equal rights, but emphasising this mostly for women as they are arguably more disadvantaged. The anti men 'feminists' you refer to are probably radical feminists - I don't really agree with them myself. So if you are pro women's rights then you are feminist, probably liberal :smile:
It's become a loaded term that means a lot more than simply believing in women's rights.

The feminist movement has evolved to the point where it has its own philosophies, theories and ideologies, some with merit, many without. Feminist theory in general is going off the deep end and has been since around the end of the second wave.

In fact, feminism as a movement has become so saturated with hypocrisy, hysteria and misinformation that people (including myself) don't call themselves feminists despite agreeing with many of the basics. We're just so tired of all the bias and the nonsense.

The core problem, in my view, is that feminists have spent so long viewing society through the prism of woman = victim, man = perpetrator that it's all they see. Everything has to be framed as a women's issue, men's issues are largely ignored or denied, and double standards begin to manifest despite all the rhetoric about equality.

They'll dismiss this as just being "the radicals," but it's the movement in general. Feminism in the media, academia and in politics seriously suffers from the problems I described. Feminism has become sexist and the feminists can't even see it (or they refuse to).
Reply 4
Original post by Onlyasking
Would you consider being for woman’s rights the same as a feminist ?

I don’t consider myself a feminist lol they seem anti men everything, but I am for woman’s rights of course.

Yes feminism is about promoting gender equality. Being anti-men isn't feminist, it's misandrist.
Original post by ElaArslan
...but emphasising this mostly for women as they are arguably more disadvantaged.

How?

At least in the Western world (where feminism is most active) women have the same rights and freedoms as men, possibly more. Women live longer, are less likely to be the victims or crime, get half the jail time for the same crimes, are less likely to be homeless, less likely to commit suicide, and yet receive more charity focus and social support than men despite their statistical advantages. On top of this, the government is always looking for more ways to protect women from harm and make things easier for them, and companies are actively trying to recruit and promote more women.

Women nowadays have become a protected class very much in receipt of the special treatment.
Original post by Dandaman1
How?

At least in the Western world (where feminism is most active) women have the same rights and freedoms as men, possibly more. Women live longer, are less likely to be the victims or crime, get half the jail time for the same crimes, are less likely to be homeless, less likely to commit suicide, and yet receive more charity focus and social support than men despite their statistical advantages. On top of this, the government is always looking for more ways to protect women from harm and make things easier for them, and companies are actively trying to recruit and promote more women.

Women nowadays have become a protected class very much in receipt of the special treatment.

Men of course also face a lot of issues as you have mentioned (suicide rates, higher likelihood of cardiovascular disease, etc) which I won't deny at all. However, it is very very wrong to use these disadvantages in order to state that men are more disadvantaged than women. Women have faced numerous problems, and still do in today's society!

Of course we have rights now, yet we are automatically considered to be in the under class, for example, if we cannot work due to pregnancy. By this I mean, we will rely on the income of our husbands in order to get by. Pregnancy is of course almost expected in marriages or serious relationships, and can also be considered as a choice with today's access to birth control, yet it is still a downfall in which we become submissive. (Let me just note I'm not saying women shouldn't get pregnant! Just saying that even natural biological causes have become disadvantages in today's society). Also, women earn on average 50% of what mean earn men over their lifetimes.. this just speaks for itself. There are a lot of marginalisation in the workplace as there is the 'long hours culture' and a lack of crèches which means a lack of catering towards women who have younger children who want to work. Talking about working women, there 6.8 million part time workers in the U.K. and 80% them are women. I could go on and on about the disadvantages that women face in the workplace such as vertical segregation, the glass ceiling etc etc. We are slowly but surely moving to a much more positive place in terms of gender inequality, yet women are still understandably disadvantaged.

Just to look at health, women also have issues in this area, just like men do. Whilst men are more likely to be diagnosed with lung cancer, cardiovascular disease and to commit suicide, women are also more likely to be diagnosed with dementia, depression and arthritis.

I'm sorry but how does the law make anything easier for women? Around 70% of rape or sexual assaults still go unreported, even though there is a higher exposure towards it in the media (Mumsnet). Also, the positive discrimination that you were describing about employment may be seen as an advantage but if you actually think about it, it isn't really.. Employing someone because of one of their characteristics and not their ability or skill is actually quite degrading and not celebratory of what women can achieve today.
How?

Complete and utter nonsense. As long as women get told that their dress meant they were asking for it, they will never have the same freedoms as men. And the suicide stat is misleading at best (women have same attempt rate, men just use more lethal means) and fails to point out it's as a result of the same gender stereotypes that women want to remove - in this case stuff like men don't cry.
Original post by ElaArslan
Men of course also face a lot of issues as you have mentioned (suicide rates, higher likelihood of cardiovascular disease, etc) which I won't deny at all. However, it is very very wrong to use these disadvantages in order to state that men are more disadvantaged than women. Women have faced numerous problems, and still do in today's society!

Of course we have rights now, yet we are automatically considered to be in the under class, for example, if we cannot work due to pregnancy. By this I mean, we will rely on the income of our husbands in order to get by. Pregnancy is of course almost expected in marriages or serious relationships, and can also be considered as a choice with today's access to birth control, yet it is still a downfall in which we become submissive. (Let me just note I'm not saying women shouldn't get pregnant! Just saying that even natural biological causes have become disadvantages in today's society). Also, women earn on average 50% of what mean earn men over their lifetimes.. this just speaks for itself. There are a lot of marginalisation in the workplace as there is the 'long hours culture' and a lack of crèches which means a lack of catering towards women who have younger children who want to work. Talking about working women, there 6.8 million part time workers in the U.K. and 80% them are women. I could go on and on about the disadvantages that women face in the workplace such as vertical segregation, the glass ceiling etc etc. We are slowly but surely moving to a much more positive place in terms of gender inequality, yet women are still understandably disadvantaged.

Just to look at health, women also have issues in this area, just like men do. Whilst men are more likely to be diagnosed with lung cancer, cardiovascular disease and to commit suicide, women are also more likely to be diagnosed with dementia, depression and arthritis.

I'm sorry but how does the law make anything easier for women? Around 70% of rape or sexual assaults still go unreported, even though there is a higher exposure towards it in the media (Mumsnet). Also, the positive discrimination that you were describing about employment may be seen as an advantage but if you actually think about it, it isn't really.. Employing someone because of one of their characteristics and not their ability or skill is actually quite degrading and not celebratory of what women can achieve today.

The 'disadvantages' women face in earnings are primarily choices. I women can choose to work the same hours as a man, choose not to take more time off work, and choose to pursue certain career avenues that would earn them more money. Women who don't marry or have children earn around the same men do, for example. Women comprise most of the part-time work force because they made that choice. They aren't being blocked from full-time work. But if a woman wants to have kids and raise them at home - as most do - full-time work is less practical. And guess what? They still live on their partner's full-time earnings.

And yes, women suffer from diseases too. Buy it really says something when the number of women's health charities and the amount of healthcare spending they receive exceeds that of the gender with a lower life expectancy. It's only once in a blue moon I hear about a men's cancer charity, but women's ones are everywhere. Women get so much more support in comparison.

Then there's their general safety. According to just about every crime statistic and victimisation survey, women are still less likely to be the victim of a violent crime than a man. Women are just safer in general, and receive way more social support. Men comprise anywhere between 1/4 to 1/2 of domestic violence victims according to most studies, but have access to less than a tenth of the resources a woman does, such as shelters.

And concerning your last statement, how is it not an advantage to be hired for being a woman? It must suck having that luxury over your competitors. And if you think that's degrading, tell the feminists, because they're the ones pushing for increased gender representation at the expense of meritocracy.
Original post by yudothis
Complete and utter nonsense. As long as women get told that their dress meant they were asking for it, they will never have the same freedoms as men. And the suicide stat is misleading at best (women have same attempt rate, men just use more lethal means) and fails to point out it's as a result of the same gender stereotypes that women want to remove - in this case stuff like men don't cry.

Blaming women for the way they were dressed is widely condemned in the mainstream. It's not an acceptable thing to say in society. How exactly will women "never have the same freedoms as men" because of this? Women can do what they want, and our modern society strongly advocates for this.

It seems to be people such as yourself doing the fearmongering, telling women that they're disadvantaged, that the world is sexist and out to get them, and that they have less freedom. It must be very encouraging for them.
Blaming women for the way they were dressed is widely condemned in the mainstream. It's not an acceptable thing to say in society. How exactly will women "never have the same freedoms as men" because of this? Women can do what they want, and our modern society strongly advocates for this.

It seems to be people such as yourself doing the fearmongering, telling women that they're disadvantaged, that the world is sexist and out to get them, and that they have less freedom. It must be very encouraging for them.

And yet it happens all the time.

It seems you are talking absolute nonsense.
In the broadly held definition as it stands now, feminism is a movement for equal rights, not just for women's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending