The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why are people NOT homophobic??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
I'll go with the ones who feel the need to come and interrupt my life to preach their nonsense at me, rather than the ones who's 'agenda' amounts to 'just let us exist as people please' tbh, but then I'm not a bigot who thinks another persons sex life is my business and gets annoyed that people on tv represent more than just me.

Now you are exposing your bias and illogicality.

I think it is fairly clear now which is really "forcing their agenda down people's throat", which is the point being discussed, not the one you agree with.
Original post by RoyalBeams
Now you are exposing your bias and illogicality.

I think it is fairly clear now which is really "forcing their agenda down people's throat", which is the point being discussed, not the one you agree with.

That some characters on tv happen to be LGBT is not forcing an agenda down anyone's throat. Coming and knocking on my door and preaching at me is.

It's only "clear" to you, because you're biased and irrational about LGBT people
That some characters on tv happen to be LGBT is not forcing an agenda down anyone's throat. Coming and knocking on my door and preaching at me is.

It's only "clear" to you, because you're biased and irrational about LGBT people

Why are characters on TV not religious?

People that don't agree with LGBT agenda would also see it (more justifiably than you) as shoving the LGBT agenda down their throats by forcing a pro-LGBT agenda on their TV every day.

Have you ever seen a good character on a TV programme be anti-homosexual?
(edited 6 years ago)

People that don't agree with LGBT agenda would also see it (more justifiably than you) as shoving the LGBT agenda down their throats by forcing a pro-LGBT agenda on their TV every day.

I too have never heard of ned Flanders, or the tv series father ted, or the tv series vicar of dibley, nor have I ever seen the scene in a church in practically every sitcom.

What exactly is the LGBT agenda? Its "we're people like you". Don't agree with that? Tough ****, grow up.

No, nor have I ever seen a good person be anti-homosexual
Because LGBT people are naturally the way they are and we should let them have their freedom to do what they want.

I'm probably not the best person to answer this, since I only watch Robot Wars and anime... but there was a priest on Strictly Come Dancing this year, and I swear that 50% of the time I pass through the kitchen and my mother is watching Emmerdale, the vicar or church are on screen, so presumably it plays some part in the storyline and setting. Those are just two examples that spring to mind, and I've not even been actively seeking them out or paying attention.

Nope, that would be oxymoronic.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes, that is enough. I did not expect any different, it was the argument I was expecting. Thanks for giving the specific examples.

Now, if you believe people are "shoving their agenda down your throat" by approaching you on the streets to convert or by arguing against your political positions/decisions, so why do you think it is not "shoving their agenda down your throat" if the entire media puts it on the TV in your living room that you must accept every desires of the LGBT community, it should be in every TV programme/soap you watch and it must be a point of discussion in every political debate? Also, there is the dressing up and dancing on the streets (which the whole street is closed for), just to let people know 'we are here and you have to accept it'.

Can you see why I saw your statement as illogical and bias?

These are not comparable. One of them is people saying "we are here, deal with it" the other is "we are here and you must become one of us or you're a fascist/a communist/going to hell". It's totally different. Gay pride marches aren't saying to straight people "you need some man love in your life or you're a terrible person" which is exactly the type of rhetoric (some) religious proselytisers use.

As for TV and movies. Funnily enough, somewhere in the region of 5% of the population aren't straight, so it logically follows that TV and movies should have roughly that number of non-straight characters if they're intending to replicate everyday life in exactly the way that soap operas do. As for the discussion, given that there still exist people who don't seem to think that's it's OK to be openly gay (or bi/trans etc.) we NEED to have these kinds of discussions. For one thing, people have a very long history of hating what they don't understand and can't relate to and I hope you can agree that hating anyone for who they are is a pretty ****ty position to take? For me, it doesn't affect my life negatively (or yours, for that matter) to watch a debate or see non-straight people on TV.
I too have never heard of ned Flanders, or the tv series father ted, or the tv series vicar of dibley, nor have I ever seen the scene in a church in practically every sitcom.

What exactly is the LGBT agenda? Its "we're people like you". Don't agree with that? Tough ****, grow up.

No, nor have I ever seen a good person be anti-homosexual

Please highlight to me the religious messages and agenda these programmes attempted to pass to you.

So passing a homosexual bar on a TV show's seen is the same thing as having a homosexual character highlighting LGBT issues?

That was a funny point. Nice try. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Please highlight to me the religious messages and agenda these programmes attempted to pass to you.

So passing a homosexual bar on a TV show's seen is the same thing as having a homosexual character highlighting LGBT issues?

That was a funny point. Nice try. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I've never seen a tv show try to pass an agenda about LGBT people either, because there isn't one... Don't confuse "there are LGBT people on tv" with "TVs trying to make the kids gay".

Wasn't trying to be funny babez :camp:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I'm probably not the best person to answer this, since I only watch Robot Wars and anime... but there was a priest on Strictly Come Dancing this year, and I swear that 50% of the time I pass through the kitchen and my mother is watching Emmerdale, the vicar or church are on screen, so presumably it plays some part in the storyline and setting. Those are just two examples that spring to mind, and I've not even been actively seeking them out or paying attention.

Well, the priest on Strictly this year was a homosexual.

Passing of churches or churches in neighbourhood is part of everyday scenery of UK life.

I am sure there are no religious main characters on UK TV highlighting religious issues, it is not conducive to the agenda the liberal media tries to shove down people's throat.

Original post by AngryJellyfish

Nope, that would be oxymoronic.

Well, it is an oxymoron to the LGBT agenda being forced down the throat of UK people. As I said earlier on this thread, the Triple Lock.
Original post by Manitude
These are not comparable. One of them is people saying "we are here, deal with it" the other is "we are here and you must become one of us or you're a fascist/a communist/going to hell". It's totally different. Gay pride marches aren't saying to straight people "you need some man love in your life or you're a terrible person" which is exactly the type of rhetoric (some) religious proselytisers use.

As for TV and movies. Funnily enough, somewhere in the region of 5% of the population aren't straight, so it logically follows that TV and movies should have roughly that number of non-straight characters if they're intending to replicate everyday life in exactly the way that soap operas do. As for the discussion, given that there still exist people who don't seem to think that's it's OK to be openly gay (or bi/trans etc.) we NEED to have these kinds of discussions. For one thing, people have a very long history of hating what they don't understand and can't relate to and I hope you can agree that hating anyone for who they are is a pretty ****ty position to take? For me, it doesn't affect my life negatively (or yours, for that matter) to watch a debate or see non-straight people on TV.

I will have to apologise to you because, frankly , I read the first line 2 lines and it was such total nonsense, I could not bring myself to read the rest because I was pretty much sure there would be little sense to extract out of them.

Let me correct your nonsense. The prevailing and extant position in the UK is:

"Some people are LGBT, if you don't support them and agree with them on EVERY issue, then you are homophobic, a bigot, intolerant, not living in the 21st century, backwards, ignorant etc. and you should not be allowed to hold a position of authority or your business should be fined/brought down".

You will see that right here on bloody TSR.

Please don't put such lying nonsense like that to me again.
Reply 151
I guess you're saying this since it has been looked down on for so long and is unforgivable in many religions like Islam and Christianity however that mindset is very unethical
I've never seen a tv show try to pass an agenda about LGBT people either, because there isn't one... Don't confuse "there are LGBT people on tv" with "TVs trying to make the kids gay".

Wasn't trying to be funny babez :camp:

Well, you don't watch many TV shows then.

There are many TV shows that try to highlight the issues of LGBT people in a positive light and with a bias that does not take into consideration any opposing argument.

In soap operas, storylines are created strictly to support LGBT people and to get the watcher to support the LGBT character.

So much focus on a small section of society and where support by mainstream TV is strictly 100% is abnormal.

If those are not based on an agenda, then nothing is.
(edited 6 years ago)
Well, you don't watch many TV shows then.

There are many TV shows that try to highlight the issues of LGBT people in a positive light and with a bias that does not take into consideration any opposing argument.

there isnt an opposing argument so... boo hoo?
there isnt an opposing argument so... boo hoo?

Oh, sorry. My bad.

I did not know the support of LGBT issues in the UK is 100%. It is all my fault, I am not so gullible to the point the UK media can brainwash me with such an agenda.
Original post by Manitude

If my quoted point below does not sip into your head, I suggest you read this as the example:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/felix-ngole-high-court-appeal-homophobic-comments-bible-facebook-sheffield-university-christian-a8023186.html

I will have to apologise to you because, frankly , I read the first line 2 lines and it was such total nonsense, I could not bring myself to read the rest because I was pretty much sure there would be little sense to extract out of them.

Let me correct your nonsense. The prevailing and extant position in the UK is:

"Some people are LGBT, if you don't support them and agree with them on EVERY issue, then you are homophobic, a bigot, intolerant, not living in the 21st century, backwards, ignorant etc. and you should not be allowed to hold a position of authority or your business should be fined/brought down".

You will see that right here on bloody TSR.

Please don't put such lying nonsense like that to me again.
Oh, sorry. My bad.

I did not know the support of LGBT issues in the UK is 100%. It is all my fault, I am not so gullible to the point the UK media can brainwash me with such an agenda.

its not. just like there's not 100% acceptance the earth is 3D. Doesn't mean there's actually an argument for the earth being flat, there's just some holdout troglodytes.
I’m from Brighton and the gay pride seems abit irrelevant now cos LBTQ are accepted well not from everyone but from a lot more to not be an issue

Pride it’s good fun but seems like just like a day were police turn a blind eye and u can do whatever illegal ****
Tbh I don’t support the LGBT community but I am not going to tell them not to exist it is just not my place. I do have the right to an opinion, I just don’t have the right to make anyone accept it.

I would however like to put a spin on this. I do think that the LGBT community does affect we “cis” people to some extent. The third wave feminist movement is very anti-white male but are pretty accepting of transpeople. They seem to be a bit quiet on this issue. When men who transition into women compete in activities where men are much stronger than females such as sports it does get unfair.

Just imagine a woman who transitioned into a man playing for Man United’s first team. Would you say it is fair to the males on that team to be held back by someone who may have the skill but isn’t physically agile enough to compete. Or let’s say a man who transitioned into a woman plays in the WNBA. Female basketball players play at a slower pace to their male counterparts that is a fact. Or even track and field male and female strength shows how great there is a difference between the two.

For the Olympics women are inferior to men in world records by 8% to 17% depending on the sport. If this is the case then allowing trans people to compete in whichever category they choose is extremely unfair to the other.

No one really wants to talk about that really. 🤔 I guess this can be a thread on its own haha
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Fighter365
Because we live in 2017. It’s like saying why are people not racist. Because it’s blatantly not ok

"It's the current year!1!"

Latest

Trending

Trending