The Student Room Group

can i wear hijab and be pretty?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Most people would be fine with the Hijab cos they can at least see your face.
But the niqab/burka would put most people off - although ISIS members would approve.
Original post by tasha_tah
rightt:tongue:
omg i just tagged you too:rofl:

:rofl:
Reply 82
>1 being you wouldn't marry hijabi
>5 being indifference
>10 being you would only go for a hijabi
>20 being you'll start wearing hijab along with her to show your support and appreciation
Original post by soIiIoquy
Yeah, that's what you think it implies and you can have your opinions. You're making statements without no justifications whatsoever and leaving the owner of this thread thinking she may be ugly because she wears it. Be careful before you make such statements.

I'm sure there's many beautiful women who want to conceal themselves from people. Just because a woman covers, it doesn't make them ugly.

Most people are average-looking, fact, and this also extends to hijabis. No point in pretending that all hijabis are these stunning goddesses who need to hide their looks. The entire point of the hijab, niqab etc is to make a woman look less attractive than she actually is.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Most people are average-looking, fact, and this also extends to hijabis. No point in pretending that all hijabis are these stunning goddesses who need to hide their looks. The entire point of the hijab, niqab etc is to make a woman look less attractive than she actually is.

I'm not "pretending that all hijabis are these stunning goddesses" i'm just stating that they're not ugly. Someone who might be average-looking to someone may be "stunning" to someone else.

You said that they wear it because they're ugly - not a fact. You're not listening to my advice. I said don't make such statements, when you have no idea about the purpose of the hijab and have no experience of wearing and understanding it.
James, you can come off anon now.
The whole point of the hijab is to hide someone's supposed beauty and make them look unattractive and/or unappealing.

hijab DOES NOT make you unattractive or unappealing. It is there to preserve modesty and hide beauty for the male relative sin their family and their husband. Amenakin, dina tokio, habiba da silva, uzma choudhury are great examples of hijab empowering muslim women
It would definitely put some people off because it would you're very religious and conservative. In terms of pure physical attractiveness, I don't think it makes much of a difference; if you have a pretty face, you will look pretty regardless. :smile:
Of course you can
Original post by Bright Student
No. As a Muslim guy myself I find that I am very rarely attracted to Muslim girls, always the white girls tbh. I do think the main cause of this repulsion if you like is due to them wearing a hijab, but that's the whole point right?

yikes, I can see why no one wants to marry Muslim guys lol
Reply 90
some will some won't. It isn't unanimous
Chinutay.
Reply 92
Original post by Anonymous
hijab DOES NOT make you unattractive or unappealing. It is there to preserve modesty and hide beauty for the male relative sin their family and their husband. Amenakin, dina tokio, habiba da silva, uzma choudhury are great examples of hijab empowering muslim women

And why are you hiding behind anonymous?
Original post by UWS
And why are you hiding behind anonymous?

why does it matter if i am anonymous?
Original post by soIiIoquy
I'm not "pretending that all hijabis are these stunning goddesses" i'm just stating that they're not ugly. Someone who might be average-looking to someone may be "stunning" to someone else.

You said that they wear it because they're ugly - not a fact. You're not listening to my advice. I said don't make such statements, when you have no idea about the purpose of the hijab and have no experience of wearing and understanding it.

Nonsense. They don’t wear it because the girls are ugly, the hijab doesn’t make someone ugly, its purpose is to make them appear so, or at least hide and diminish attractiveness. You don’t need to wear the hijab to know what its purpose is or criticise it so don’t even try to use that card.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by Anonymous
why does it matter if i am anonymous?

Because none of what you said is sensitive or embarrassing (what anonymous is for), you've just used it so that no one can see you voice your opinions.
Reply 96
Just because you're wearing a Hijab doesn't make you not 'pretty'.
However it does make you unattractive in my opinion as you're religious.
Original post by shezzax
you can still wear it and be gorgeous, only have to look at dina tokio and habiba da silva as examples

They are good examples, I give you that. Those women have shown that the meaning of the hijab, to disguise the beauty of a women, can be used in the other way round to be more attractive.
Not a native speaker, so I hope this makes sense. In my opinion, of course you can. Just like you can look good wearing a hat or another type of a scarf etc. Not being able to see somebody's hair doesn't make them ugly, although if you have beautiful hair it can add to your beauty. Whether you wear a hijab or not does not change your facial features, so my guess it that not finding a person wearing a hijab attractive would be due to the fact that the person simply isn't attractive (subjectively), or because of the impression you get (a religious person, a muslim) if your opposed to these ideas. So basically, it doesn't have to be about the fact that a person wearing a hijab is not attractive (unless they are), but the fact that it portrays a message that some people find unattractive.
Nonsense. They don’t wear it because the girls are ugly, the hijab doesn’t make someone ugly, it’s purpose is to make them appear so, or at least hide and diminish attractiveness. You don’t need to wear the hijab to know what its purpose is or criticise it so don’t even try to use that card.

But once experienced then one knows the true value of the Hijab. The main purpose of the Hijab is to portray modesty in which it then emancipates from the western ideology.

Quick Reply