The Student Room Group

HELP!

I have never applied for University before and I am 26 now, will be 27 when I start in 2018. How is my student loan calculated? I'm assuming it will not matter about my parents income anymore as I am too old? Also, I have been living and working in Canada for the last 2 years and I read that if you haven't lived in England for the last 3 consecutive years this is a problem!! Finally, I have been type 1 diabetic since I was 18 and was wondering as this is classed as a disability-does this mean I have any extra help? Thanks
Original post by xxxfranxxx1234
I have never applied for University before and I am 26 now, will be 27 when I start in 2018. How is my student loan calculated? I'm assuming it will not matter about my parents income anymore as I am too old? Also, I have been living and working in Canada for the last 2 years and I read that if you haven't lived in England for the last 3 consecutive years this is a problem!! Finally, I have been type 1 diabetic since I was 18 and was wondering as this is classed as a disability-does this mean I have any extra help? Thanks

Your parents income is ignored. But I can't say if you're entitled, due to where you've been living for the last 2 years.

You may get disabled students allowance if your diabetes means you have extra study needs. This doesn't entitle you to any extra money though. It's usually in the form of non-medical help, such as a note taker and computer equipment, (including software) You won't actually get any cash though.
Original post by xxxfranxxx1234

Hi xxxfranxxx1234,

We would base the funding entirely on yourself or your partner once over the age of 25.

Our residency rules are:

You must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

If you have been working in Canada then you could provide evidence that the employment/stay there was temporary in nature. If the evidence is accepted then you will still be assessed for the funding.

As part of the application you can apply for DSA (Disabled Students Allowance).

Warm regards,

Shaun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending