The Student Room Group

I have failed every single exam

Context: I'm in year 10. I just moved to a grammar school almost 3 weeks after the start of the school year. I've failed every single exam we took before the half term holidays.

I know it is reasonable in some subjects like physics because my first physics lesson in this school was a revision lesson for the students end of half term exam but it's no excuse for maths and english! I covered these topics in my old school before but for english I managed to get on paper 1, section A, 3/15 for question 4. I'm in set 1 english! For maths I'm incapable of answering problem solving questions. I got 18/40. I couldn't do the area problem solving question.

For my current lessons of science I'm getting low scores on mini quizzes we do, even though everyone started learning this at the start of this half term! I was there!

I even managed a step 1 in geography! I should have at least managed a step 3...

What has happened to me? It's not nerves, I was excited to move to a new school. I have friends and am not bullied so WHY AM I FAILING?!

I've had to resit every science except biology since I don't know the results. I've had to resit geography. I'm going to resit maths, tomorrow.

(Lower than 50% on that end of half term test and you resit, btw).

I'm so scared I've become damaged, or something. Have I developed a sudden problem in learning? Because like I said, I'm failing those mini quizzes, too!

What the hell has happened to me? Even the popular kids are getting higher scores than me.

I have mock GCSEs for science in January and these will decide whether you do double or triple science! I want to do triple since it's an extra GCSE and I feel I'll have a better chance as I think physics will bring my grade down in double science.
I was smart in my old comprehensive school...
Reply 2
lol, i'm in a similare possion as you. I got bad in my year 10 mocks
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sidra.I
Context: I'm in year 10. I just moved to a grammar school almost 3 weeks after the start of the school year. I've failed every single exam we took before the half term holidays.

I know it is reasonable in some subjects like physics because my first physics lesson in this school was a revision lesson for the students end of half term exam but it's no excuse for maths and english! I covered these topics in my old school before but for english I managed to get on paper 1, section A, 3/15 for question 4. I'm in set 1 english! For maths I'm incapable of answering problem solving questions. I got 18/40. I couldn't do the area problem solving question.

For my current lessons of science I'm getting low scores on mini quizzes we do, even though everyone started learning this at the start of this half term! I was there!

I even managed a step 1 in geography! I should have at least managed a step 3...

What has happened to me? It's not nerves, I was excited to move to a new school. I have friends and am not bullied so WHY AM I FAILING?!

I've had to resit every science except biology since I don't know the results. I've had to resit geography. I'm going to resit maths, tomorrow.

(Lower than 50% on that end of half term test and you resit, btw).

I'm so scared I've become damaged, or something. Have I developed a sudden problem in learning? Because like I said, I'm failing those mini quizzes, too!

What the hell has happened to me? Even the popular kids are getting higher scores than me.

I have mock GCSEs for science in January and these will decide whether you do double or triple science! I want to do triple since it's an extra GCSE and I feel I'll have a better chance as I think physics will bring my grade down in double science.

Well, the bar is set higher at a grammar school due to selection, so it's only natural that they make the tests harder compared to your previous comp.

Have you gotten complacent since transferring to a grammar school and let your unconscious superiority as a result of your transfer get ahead of you?
Reply 4
If it's any consolation, I knew people who got 50-58% ( D grade) in GCSE mocks but then ended up with 80-95% (A/A*) in the actual exams because it motivated them to work harder.
Original post by 0_0.!.
lol, i'm in a similare possion as you. I got bad in my year 10 mocks

The thing is that I'm not supposed to be the type to do bad and laugh about it! I really want to do triple science. Set 1,2 and 3 are doing triple. I'm in set 3 so if I move down then its bye bye triple for me!

Don't worry for yourself, though. You could still get good grades in your actual GCSEs if you put your mind to it. :smile:
Original post by Sleepy22
If it's any consolation, I knew people who got 50-58% ( D grade) in GCSE mocks but then ended up with 80-95% (A/A*) in the actual exams because it motivated them to work harder.

I would have been okay with that but the thing is, these mocks I have in January determine whether I do triple or double. If I move a set down = double. If I stay = triple

Thanks, anyway.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Well, the bar is set higher at a grammar school due to selection, so it's only natural that they make the tests harder compared to your previous comp.

Have you gotten complacent since transferring to a grammar school and let your unconscious superiority as a result of your transfer get ahead of you?

When I was doing those exams I was confident. Especially in english, maths, chemistry and geography. I just don't know what went wrong.
Original post by Sidra.I
When I was doing those exams I was confident. Especially in english, maths, chemistry and geography. I just don't know what went wrong.

Have you gone through the papers with your teacher?
Ooh right, when I read the title I thought it meant as in final exams 😂😂
Try using the Pomodoro technique it should help. you work on one subject for 25 mins and take a 5 min break in between four sessions, then a longer break after the four which should help(there is an app for it, you can either use that or time it your self),and make sure when coming to exams keep your phone away from you and spend less time going out I'm not saying don't go out and have fun but decrease the amount. this work for me and I hope this helped
Do not let piece of paper decided what you want to do and what you want to become.
What areas in particular (start off with the most concerning ones) are the most worrying? Where do you need to consolidate your knowledge? Make a list of all the topics that you're going to be doing in your GCSEs for all your subjects and then do the traffic light system for a few at a time, going through the topics until you can understand them fully. Hope you don't feel too *****y about these mock grades.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Have you gone through the papers with your teacher?

Yes. Some of the questions I did not read properly. The rest I just got wrong because I didn't know/ got muddled up with something else.
Original post by saharan_skies
What areas in particular (start off with the most concerning ones) are the most worrying? Where do you need to consolidate your knowledge? Make a list of all the topics that you're going to be doing in your GCSEs for all your subjects and then do the traffic light system for a few at a time, going through the topics until you can understand them fully. Hope you don't feel too *****y about these mock grades.

The thing is, I don't know anymore. These bad marks could have been due to my absence or panic. I was good at these things at my comprehensive but I didn't get good results in these exams. So I don't really know what my weak subjects are anymore.

Do you think I should just decide from the results I used to get from my comprehensive or from these grammar school exams?
As others have said, there's no point dwelling on it. Go through your papers and take note of where you've gone wrong.

Original post by Sidra.I
The thing is, I don't know anymore. These bad marks could have been due to my absence or panic. I was good at these things at my comprehensive but I didn't get good results in these exams. So I don't really know what my weak subjects are anymore.

Do you think I should just decide from the results I used to get from my comprehensive or from these grammar school exams?

You might as well use these tests to gauge your progress, since they're harder as you say.

Quick Reply

Latest