The Student Room Group

Better/Safer nightlife - Leeds or Sheffield?

Never been up north so what’s the best city for pubs/bars/clubs and also safety for a solo traveller.
I'm from Manchester, and personally, I feel like Leeds nightlife is 'friendlier'? I don't know if that is a strange way to put it... but yeah definitely my vibes. :smile:

Come up North! It's fab - taste the fresh water from the Lake District lol
Original post by CheekyAlice
I'm from Manchester, and personally, I feel like Leeds nightlife is 'friendlier'? I don't know if that is a strange way to put it... but yeah definitely my vibes. :smile:

Come up North! It's fab - taste the fresh water from the Lake District lol

Thanks for your response - I definitely want to do some exploring up north since I’m fed up of down south! I’m going to Manchester very soon in fact, and seeing as you’re from Manchester would you mind telling me what it’s like? I.e. is there plenty to do, good places for shopping, restaurants, pubs, bars, clubs etc? I read a lot online that the city centre can be pretty unsafe - especially at night - are there certain no go areas and less safe places than others in the city centre? Thanks :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
What kind of music do you like to listen to when you go out? Sheffield is great but that's from a techno/house/grime/disco point of view. Has many decent bars and pubs that play the usual thing (r&b/pop/hip hop/indie) but you can find those anywhere in the country. If you're going out on your own I'd recommend the Harley. Other recommendations are - Hope Works/The Night Kitchen/Southbank Warehouse/West Street Live
This is hard to say as it's more about the people that you 'bump' into. I'd say Leeds have a bigger/busier night life from what I've seen so I guess you could say theres safety in numbers?
Original post by showaeski
What kind of music do you like to listen to when you go out? Sheffield is great but that's from a techno/house/grime/disco point of view. Has many decent bars and pubs that play the usual thing (r&b/pop/hip hop/indie) but you can find those anywhere in the country. If you're going out on your own I'd recommend the Harley. Other recommendations are - Hope Works/The Night Kitchen/Southbank Warehouse/West Street Live

I more into indie/alternative rock. What city do you think has a better scene for that?
Original post by d0p5y
Thanks for your response - I definitely want to do some exploring up north since I’m fed up of down south! I’m going to Manchester very soon in fact, and seeing as you’re from Manchester would you mind telling me what it’s like? I.e. is there plenty to do, good places for shopping, restaurants, pubs, bars, clubs etc? I read a lot online that the city centre can be pretty unsafe - especially at night - are there certain no-go areas and less safe places than others in the city centre? Thanks :smile:

Deansgate is pretty awesome for shopping/food/bars etc (It's basically a very large, long road lol) Christmas time is epic because of the markets - Amazing food, drink and general shopping.
The Arndale is pretty much your generic shopping centre, you also have the Trafford Centre which is like the fancy version but further away from the centre of Manchester.
The Northern Quarter, as we call it, is like one the cool, quirky areas, you should check out some of the bars/cafes there! And Affleck's Palace which is epic - culture haven lol
Theatres are pretty mint around Manc too - my faves are The Royal Exchange, (beautiful inside- definitely have a peep around), The Palace Theatre and HOME (basically a theatre/bar/cafe/cinema it's epic).
The Printworks is a damn good cinema too - got a cool street like interior with restaurants and bars.
There are so many museums/art galleries/ even the football museum lol
Tbh, any city is going to be unsafe at night. Just stay in well-lit areas where lots of people are about. Main roads tend to be alright. Obviously, in light of the Manchester terrorist attack security around the city has gone up... but as dreary as this it may sound it could have happened anywhere - just scary how close to home it was, and how many people I knew who were actually at Ariana's concert.
Original post by CheekyAlice
Deansgate is pretty awesome for shopping/food/bars etc (It's basically a very large, long road lol) Christmas time is epic because of the markets - Amazing food, drink and general shopping.
The Arndale is pretty much your generic shopping centre, you also have the Trafford Centre which is like the fancy version but further away from the centre of Manchester.
The Northern Quarter, as we call it, is like one the cool, quirky areas, you should check out some of the bars/cafes there! And Affleck's Palace which is epic - culture haven lol
Theatres are pretty mint around Manc too - my faves are The Royal Exchange, (beautiful inside- definitely have a peep around), The Palace Theatre and HOME (basically a theatre/bar/cafe/cinema it's epic).
The Printworks is a damn good cinema too - got a cool street like interior with restaurants and bars.
There are so many museums/art galleries/ even the football museum lol
Tbh, any city is going to be unsafe at night. Just stay in well-lit areas where lots of people are about. Main roads tend to be alright. Obviously, in light of the Manchester terrorist attack security around the city has gone up... but as dreary as this it may sound it could have happened anywhere - just scary how close to home it was, and how many people I knew who were actually at Ariana's concert.

Thank you very much for all of that - that’s really useful! Going to Old Trafford to watch Utd play as well so I’m looking forward to it
Leeds is better than Sheffield for indie/alternative, I am applying there too and people who go there say that I'd probably enjoy it because of the indie alternative music scene.
Original post by d0p5y
Thank you very much for all of that - that’s really useful! Going to Old Trafford to watch Utd play as well so I’m looking forward to it

No problem! Man United all the wayyyy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending