The Student Room Group

I want to become a military sniper instead of going to uni

So this is me,
I love sniper rifles and everything to do with snipers. It is my passion. Do you think training to become a military sniper instead of going to Uni is a good idea?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey. If it's what you want to do and you have the opportunity to do it, then do it. And don't you dare let anyone stop you. Just make sure it's what you really want and not just a short-lived fantasy.
Reply 2
I don't mean to be unkind, but I assume being a "military sniper" involves killing or harming people (I don't see how it wouldn't). In my opinion, there is no point in war because it solves nothing; a battle where one party wins causes another battle to occur in the future for whatever reason similar to the previous, and it's an endless cycle of pointlessness where people die for those leaders who decide not to reason with each other, come to an agreement or remain at a disagreement and accept each other. It is basic humanity and all who lack it come to see it eventually, but wars between countries have continued for very long in particular, although they will die out eventually due to generations slowly learning from their previous' mistakes.
You do what you want, if it makes you happy just do it homie. You live your life, no one else lives it for you.

Original post by Roxirin
Just make sure it's what you really want and not just a short-lived fantasy.
Reply 4
Original post by SaksTheGreatest
You live your life, no one else lives it for you.

Until a sniper ends it.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous7932
So this is me,
I love sniper rifles and everything to do with snipers. It is my passion. Do you think training to become a military sniper instead of going to Uni is a good idea?

The British Army doesn't require you to have a degree.
Original post by Doonesbury
Until a sniper ends it.

I'm not going to advise him of all the dangers of his potential job, quite frankly I don't care what he does just looking out for his happiness cause that really is all that matters in this life. We should all take happiness where we can find it, find what you love then go and protect it.
Reply 7
Original post by SaksTheGreatest
I'm not going to advise him of all the dangers of his potential job, quite frankly I don't care what he does just looking out for his happiness cause that really is all that matters in this life. We should all take happiness where we can find it, find what you love then go and protect it.

I was thinking more about the person at the other end of the crosshairs.
While you should definitely seek to do what you love, are you certain going down such a risky path is worth it for your passion for snipers? The reality of war is tough and a lot more glamorous to those on the outside. You could be better of doing something technological like engineering.
I think you need to find out more about what becoming a sniper entails, because very little of it will involve firing a rifle - the role is primarily to observe. You need to be passionate about joining either the Army or the Marines. I don't think you're able to join as a sniper (although I'm not certain), but people are selected from within the service. Even if you were selected to become a sniper, you would spend the majority of your time doing other things anyway. If the only aspect of the military you're interested in is the sniper rifles you'll have a miserable time.
This isn't a video game.
Reply 11
'Sniper school' is HARD. Not many people have what it takes to do it.
Until a sniper ends it.

Please don't put me off...
Original post by CurlyBen
I think you need to find out more about what becoming a sniper entails, because very little of it will involve firing a rifle - the role is primarily to observe. You need to be passionate about joining either the Army or the Marines. I don't think you're able to join as a sniper (although I'm not certain), but people are selected from within the service. Even if you were selected to become a sniper, you would spend the majority of your time doing other things anyway. If the only aspect of the military you're interested in is the sniper rifles you'll have a miserable time.

My uncle inspired me to choose this path, he is a Royal Marine with several confirmed kills.
Sniping is awesome. I really enjoyed American Sniper ( except the end ofc :emo: ).

Also i read the book about the British guy who held the record for the longest snipe
Original post by the bear
Sniping is awesome. I really enjoyed American Sniper ( except the end ofc :emo: ).

Also i read the book about the British guy who held the record for the longest snipe

That movie was great, but I want to become a British Royal Marine, like my uncle.
And as for the longest confirmed kills....is it 173 or something?
Reply 16
Original post by the bear

Was it longer than this guy?

Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous7932
Please don't put me off...

Frankly that's precisely the job you are looking at doing. If talking about the reality is putting you off, you probably need to rethink your intended career.
Original post by Roxirin
Hey. If it's what you want to do and you have the opportunity to do it, then do it. And don't you dare let anyone stop you. Just make sure it's what you really want and not just a short-lived fantasy.

Couldn't agree more with this, once you become a sniper in the military, you're stuck in that role for years; you can just drop out of uni at anytime, no strings attached (apart from the built up debt of course).

But taking the RAF for example, all the online forums advise that you go to university first for both academic reasons and for social reasons - To have fun! Not saying you won't have fun in the military but at least you can experience the uni life!

Best of luck mate, I wish you the best :smile:
Frankly that's precisely the job you are looking at doing. If talking about the reality is putting you off, you probably need to rethink your intended career.

You don't know how self-confident I am about my intended career.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending