The Student Room Group

Getting Ready for A*A*A

Getting Ready for A*A*A

I would like to first start with this post from last year on my previous 'Grow Your Grades'. I feel this is important context, but will hope you to understand my aims for last year and how this year I am kicking it up a notch!

Spoiler

First of all, if you read through all of that then congratulations!

I have received predictions of A*A*A and these are the grades I hope to see on my paper on the 17th August! So, how am I going to do this? Well, I am going to bring you along the ride as much as I can. I have already applied for my Universities, to some places I never thought I would be able to. I hope this blog inspires you to work hard to get what you want and deserve. I believe in you!

Original post by 10cking
Application Submitted: 13/10/17

University of Edinburgh - English Literature
Acknowledgement: 14/10/17

University of Durham - English Literature
Acknowledgement: 16/10/17

University of Oxford - English Language and Literature
College Acknowledgement: 23/10/17
ELAT Taken: 02/11/17

University of Birmingham - English :banana:
Acknowledgement: 15/10/17
Offer: Conditional = AAB (A in English Literature) OR Alternative = ABB (A in English Literature) with an A in the EPQ and If Firmed

University of Surrey - English Literature:banana:
Offer: Conditional = ABB OR Unconditional = If Firmed

Please let me know how you are all doing and what stages you are at! Also, please leave a link to your own Grow Your Grades as I LOVE reading them!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 10cking
I would like to first start with this post from last year on my previous 'Grow Your Grades'. I feel this is important context, but will hope you to understand my aims for last year and how this year I am kicking it up a notch!

Spoiler

I have received predictions of A*A*A and these are the grades I hope to see on my paper on the 17th August! So, how am I going to do this? Well, I am going to bring you along the ride as much as I can. I have already applied for my Universities, to some places I never thought I would be able to. I hope this blog inspires you to work hard to get what you want and deserve. I believe in you!

Please let me know how you are all doing and what stages you are at! Also, please leave a link to your own Grow Your Grades as I LOVE reading them!

Hi...those mock grades EXACTLY what position I'm in. Im stressing and stressing and stressing! Its not AS Mocks but its like the first ever mock in first year - they expected a B but i got Ds and Us. How did you deal with that? Also did it affect your predicted grades for Uni. I too aspire to achieve A's and A*'s before AS Exams - How did you do it!? What motivated you and how many hours did you study. I feel like for the grades I'm going to have to sacrifice everything. A lot of Qs i know...im sorry - just a little bit worried and broken by my underperformance....
Reply 2
Original post by lostplot
Hi...those mock grades EXACTLY what position I'm in. Im stressing and stressing and stressing! Its not AS Mocks but its like the first ever mock in first year - they expected a B but i got Ds and Us. How did you deal with that? Also did it affect your predicted grades for Uni. I too aspire to achieve A's and A*'s before AS Exams - How did you do it!? What motivated you and how many hours did you study. I feel like for the grades I'm going to have to sacrifice everything. A lot of Qs i know...im sorry - just a little bit worried and broken by my underperformance....

Hello! First of all, don't stress. Seriously, it will make things worse for you if you are constantly stressing.

To answer your first question: It was difficult, I won't lie to you. Seeing your friends do well and disappointing your teachers is hard. What is comforting for you is the fact that it is only November, you have been there two months. It is natural to under perform at this stage and then bring it up as the year progresses. However, don't rest on that as that progress takes work. The way I dealt with it was the fact that I knew I could do better, so I pushed myself. I saw those grades and hated them. I researched every revision channel on youtube, looked at grow your grades to find out HOW I could do well. If you want to improve, and i mean REALLY want to, you will push yourself to do so :smile:

For your question about predictions for university: No, it really didn't effect them. My teachers knew what I was capable of and the fact that you are at a point so early in the year is important because if you turn it around by July they will see the progress you have made and make your predictions off that :smile:

A good question, How did you do it? Well, I first of all gave myself a good shake to sort myself out. I then put all of my effort into every piece of work I did. If it wasnt what I wanted I would do it again and again until I got the grade I wanted. I tracked my progress to show that I was actually going up, because it isn't instant and I also talked to my teachers and older students. The last part is rather essential as your teachers know a lot more than they can tell you in a lesson, so make use of it. Older students can let you in on tips and tricks and help you get ahead of the work if you have the same teacher as they usually use the same structure each year.

My least favourite question, how many hours did you study? If I'm honest, I don't know. I didn't meticulously count (although I tried at one stage). It is more the QUALITY of the studying than the quantity. I could study for 10 hours and I could achieve the exact same amount of learning as if you did 5 hours. It is so subjective and really depends on your pace. As long as you get everything you need to done, the hours don't matter :smile:

You don't have to sacrifice everything. I have maintained two jobs and a social life throughout this.. although i did lose out on sleep xD If you have the dedication and commitment you will do it. Every minute adds up. You check your phone for 5 minutes every hour you are awake? There is an extra hour of studying if you just do it before you go to bed. Oh that 3rd episode of your favourite TV Show is about to play after you just watched the other 2? Why not complete half a past paper and save the 3rd episode for later on? Its the little changes that really count.

Please, don't worry about asking too many questions, thats how everyone learns anything... by asking questions! Please don't be too downhearted about your results, because if you truly feel that you have underperformed and want to put it right, you will! :smile:
Original post by 10cking
Hello! First of all, don't stress. Seriously, it will make things worse for you if you are constantly stressing.

To answer your first question: It was difficult, I won't lie to you. Seeing your friends do well and disappointing your teachers is hard. What is comforting for you is the fact that it is only November, you have been there two months. It is natural to under perform at this stage and then bring it up as the year progresses. However, don't rest on that as that progress takes work. The way I dealt with it was the fact that I knew I could do better, so I pushed myself. I saw those grades and hated them. I researched every revision channel on youtube, looked at grow your grades to find out HOW I could do well. If you want to improve, and i mean REALLY want to, you will push yourself to do so :smile:

For your question about predictions for university: No, it really didn't effect them. My teachers knew what I was capable of and the fact that you are at a point so early in the year is important because if you turn it around by July they will see the progress you have made and make your predictions off that :smile:

A good question, How did you do it? Well, I first of all gave myself a good shake to sort myself out. I then put all of my effort into every piece of work I did. If it wasnt what I wanted I would do it again and again until I got the grade I wanted. I tracked my progress to show that I was actually going up, because it isn't instant and I also talked to my teachers and older students. The last part is rather essential as your teachers know a lot more than they can tell you in a lesson, so make use of it. Older students can let you in on tips and tricks and help you get ahead of the work if you have the same teacher as they usually use the same structure each year.

My least favourite question, how many hours did you study? If I'm honest, I don't know. I didn't meticulously count (although I tried at one stage). It is more the QUALITY of the studying than the quantity. I could study for 10 hours and I could achieve the exact same amount of learning as if you did 5 hours. It is so subjective and really depends on your pace. As long as you get everything you need to done, the hours don't matter :smile:

You don't have to sacrifice everything. I have maintained two jobs and a social life throughout this.. although i did lose out on sleep xD If you have the dedication and commitment you will do it. Every minute adds up. You check your phone for 5 minutes every hour you are awake? There is an extra hour of studying if you just do it before you go to bed. Oh that 3rd episode of your favourite TV Show is about to play after you just watched the other 2? Why not complete half a past paper and save the 3rd episode for later on? Its the little changes that really count.

Please, don't worry about asking too many questions, thats how everyone learns anything... by asking questions! Please don't be too downhearted about your results, because if you truly feel that you have underperformed and want to put it right, you will! :smile:

Honestly thank YOU so so so so MUCH! You've been so much of a help. It's literally been eating me but now I'm determined to so well! I'm going to focus... I haven't had the right mindset and I need to change it. Quite surprising to know you had jobs alongside! I'm grateful this grade drop happened now. 2018 is the year. 2018 is my year. Honestly I really can't thank you enough!!!!
Original post by 10cking

Getting Ready for A*A*A

Spoiler

wow good luck!
what motivated you to choose english literature? and what would you like to do when you finish uni?
Reply 5
Honestly thank YOU so so so so MUCH! You've been so much of a help. It's literally been eating me but now I'm determined to so well! I'm going to focus... I haven't had the right mindset and I need to change it. Quite surprising to know you had jobs alongside! I'm grateful this grade drop happened now. 2018 is the year. 2018 is my year. Honestly I really can't thank you enough!!!!

You are most welcome! Though you had the thought to ask, which is always the first step :smile: I wish you good luck, changing a mindset is difficult, but ohh so worth it in the end! 2018 will definitely be your year, you just got to make those little changes now! :smile: definitely keep me updated on how you are doing, I am always here to answer any questions! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by clouddbubbles
wow good luck!
what motivated you to choose english literature? and what would you like to do when you finish uni?

Thank you! A surprisingly complicated question, but I think if i had to choose one reason it would be the fact that I am curious. I am curious about narratives, about HOW the writer formulates it, HOW they get it across to us the reader, WHY they choose that way over another, WHAT motivated/motivates them to write, the reasons behind their thinking....I’m just, curious :smile:

When I finish university I hope to do a masters (if I’m not at Edinburgh) and then, I either want to go into publishing or teach at A-Level/University Level depending on whether I decide to carry on with education further or not :smile: I’m leaving myself quite open to other suggestions and paths because I find if you narrow it down too much you will miss other, better opportunities along the way :smile:
Original post by 10cking
You are most welcome! Though you had the thought to ask, which is always the first step :smile: I wish you good luck, changing a mindset is difficult, but ohh so worth it in the end! 2018 will definitely be your year, you just got to make those little changes now! :smile: definitely keep me updated on how you are doing, I am always here to answer any questions! :biggrin:

For sure! Hopefully I can do well - no no. I WILL do well! ... But I won't forget your help and I will definitely find my way to update you! Nothing is a coincidence... Literally just fell across your post, but it's impact is. Is seriously with no exaggeration, it's powerful. Thank you so much :smile:
Ooh excited to see what's to come on this blog! I looove reading GYGs too! So addicted that I started my own - feel free to check it out hehe :smile: I wish you all the best! <3 How did you find the ELAT by the way? An unconditional if firmed from Surrey that's exciting!!
Reply 9
For sure! Hopefully I can do well - no no. I WILL do well! ... But I won't forget your help and I will definitely find my way to update you! Nothing is a coincidence... Literally just fell across your post, but it's impact is. Is seriously with no exaggeration, it's powerful. Thank you so much :smile:

Thats the right attitude! You CAN do it! :smile: Life really is a funny thing... I’m so glad my post has helped you, to me, that is thanks enough :smile: GOOD LUCK!
Reply 10
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Ooh excited to see what's to come on this blog! I looove reading GYGs too! So addicted that I started my own - feel free to check it out hehe :smile: I wish you all the best! <3 How did you find the ELAT by the way? An unconditional if firmed from Surrey that's exciting!!

I’m glad you are excited, I am too! XD please send the link in here and I will be sure to check it out and I’m sure others will want to too :smile: (they really are interesting xD ) the ELAT was interesting, it could of gone a lot worse, but it could have gone better, I wasn’t a fan of the theme, but I did the best I could so I will just have to wait and see :smile: I know, I couldn’t believe it :redface: I would be extremely happy to go to either of the offers I already have tbh, so an unconditional is the icing on the cake for that! :smile:
Original post by 10cking
I’m glad you are excited, I am too! XD please send the link in here and I will be sure to check it out and I’m sure others will want to too :smile: (they really are interesting xD ) the ELAT was interesting, it could of gone a lot worse, but it could have gone better, I wasn’t a fan of the theme, but I did the best I could so I will just have to wait and see :smile: I know, I couldn’t believe it :redface: I would be extremely happy to go to either of the offers I already have tbh, so an unconditional is the icing on the cake for that! :smile:

As long as you did the best you could, that's the main thing :biggrin: (the MAT went terribly wrong for me :'D) And ahhh yes so jealous, that must have been an amazing feeling! I've gotten an offer from Surrey but unfortunately no unconditional, but I'm still pretty happy that I got an offer!

Here it is:

Spoiler

Reply 12
As long as you did the best you could, that's the main thing :biggrin: (the MAT went terribly wrong for me :'D) And ahhh yes so jealous, that must have been an amazing feeling! I've gotten an offer from Surrey but unfortunately no unconditional, but I'm still pretty happy that I got an offer!

Here it is:

Spoiler

If i am honest I think the MAT went terribly for most people from what I know xD It really was, it was nice to know I have somewhere to go really :smile: Thats fantastic that you got an offer! Surrey only offer unconditional for certain subjects, A-Level predictions and GCSEs so your subject must not offer it, because (after reading through your GYG :wink: ) you definitely would have reached the minimum requirement :smile: I am loving your GYG btw!

Here it is:

Spoiler

If it is any comfort, getting an unconditional offer is supposedly an admission by the Uni that you are too good for them. My brother got an IB offer of 39 (with 766 higher subjects) from Oxford. He got 34 and all 6s from Surrey also for an offer. This advice is from my brother, who is studying at Oxford now. So just work hard and meet the grades if you can, which you probably can do. Good luck.
Reply 14
Original post by Aayush :)
If it is any comfort, getting an unconditional offer is supposedly an admission by the Uni that you are too good for them. My brother got an IB offer of 39 (with 766 higher subjects) from Oxford. He got 34 and all 6s from Surrey also for an offer. This advice is from my brother, who is studying at Oxford now. So just work hard and meet the grades if you can, which you probably can do. Good luck.

Thank you for sharing your brothers advice! And welcome to the thread :smile: The unconditional is from my "5th" choice (although I still really like it), but from what I can tell what you have said is true, but isn't the rule as not all Universities offer Unconditionals and some for only certain subjects (like Surrey) :smile:
Original post by 10cking
Thank you for sharing your brothers advice! And welcome to the thread :smile: The unconditional is from my "5th" choice (although I still really like it), but from what I can tell what you have said is true, but isn't the rule as not all Universities offer Unconditionals and some for only certain subjects (like Surrey) :smile:

XD I am in GCSE year now. I have heard horror stories about A-Level and IB alike. Good luck. Surrey is a very good university. Don't allow anyone to say otherwise. It's just overshadowed by some other russell group uni's, but it is a russell group. A* A* A* is a totally Cambridge natural sciences offer XD.

Good luck.
just go to Surrey if you dont get into Oxford, Awesome University. The rest are trash, Durhams too snobby.
Original post by 10cking
Thank you! A surprisingly complicated question, but I think if i had to choose one reason it would be the fact that I am curious. I am curious about narratives, about HOW the writer formulates it, HOW they get it across to us the reader, WHY they choose that way over another, WHAT motivated/motivates them to write, the reasons behind their thinking....I’m just, curious :smile:

When I finish university I hope to do a masters (if I’m not at Edinburgh) and then, I either want to go into publishing or teach at A-Level/University Level depending on whether I decide to carry on with education further or not :smile: I’m leaving myself quite open to other suggestions and paths because I find if you narrow it down too much you will miss other, better opportunities along the way :smile:

that’s a really interesting reason - ive not really heard someone answer it like that before!

you have a good idea of what you want to do after uni and it seems awesome :smile: good luck!

is the course at edinburgh combined with a masters degree then?
Original post by 10cking

Getting Ready for A*A*A

Spoiler

Hey @10cking,

Just wanted to drop by to say congrats on your offers so far and good luck with your exams and the rest of the application process! I know repeating can be scary, but I think you've made the right decision for you - your predicted grades show how much you've turned it around :smile:

Keep up the good work :biggrin:

All the best,
Ashley
Reply 19
Original post by Aayush :)
XD I am in GCSE year now. I have heard horror stories about A-Level and IB alike. Good luck. Surrey is a very good university. Don't allow anyone to say otherwise. It's just overshadowed by some other russell group uni's, but it is a russell group. A* A* A* is a totally Cambridge natural sciences offer XD.

Good luck.

Good luck with your GCSEs! My sister is taking hers this year xD Surrey is really good, i applied their because I really like the course they offer, the area seems really nice and I felt as though the grades they were asking for were achievable too :biggrin: Russell Group doesn't really mean much to me to be honest, the course content was the biggest factor when deciding rather than its ranking/standard :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending