The Student Room Group

Struggling with living accommodation

Hello!

You’ve probably seen me make a few posts about this before lol. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has solidarity stories or advice/words of encouragement for me.

Basically, my uni accommodation is brilliant, dead nice room and kitchen etc. My flatmates are mostly nice, I’m not good friends with them all, but we’re on good terms.

I’m struggling with the noise. It’s constant 24/7 banging, screaming, and pounding music. And for someone who easily gets overwhelmed/ audio overload (I think I have some issues related to a previous head injury, and have a family history of autism, I’ve been on an NHS waitlist for 2 years so who knows lol)

Like, right now, I’m feeling very overwhelmed by my flatmates screaming in the kitchen, my next door roommate periodically screaming playing on his games, and the flats upstairs and downstairs playing party music. It’s Monday night, what the heck? But this happens almost every day/night, it’s like my whole house is constantly awake.

For someone who has to wake up early to go to University, and someone who really really struggles to get to sleep at night anyways, this is proving to be a huge problem.

It would look so rude to move out, and I do enjoy going out with my flatmates (but no more than 3 times a week - to them that’s far less than the norm). Not to mention, I don't even know how moving out would work - its official university accommodation - do we have to stay the whole year? On top of this, my old friends have moved away since I started uni, and my flatmates so far have been my closest friends here. (My parents house is about an hour away).

I don't think I could contact the uni representatives over the noise, because I am not exaggerating when I say it is literally the entire block, every single flat.

Any advice/ similar stories? Words of encouragement?

I'm just venting tbh
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by golidlocks
Hello!

You’ve probably seen me make a few posts about this before lol. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has solidarity stories or advice/words of encouragement for me.

Basically, my uni accommodation is brilliant, dead nice room and kitchen etc. My flatmates are mostly nice, I’m not good friends with them all, but we’re on good terms.

I’m struggling with the noise. It’s constant 24/7 banging, screaming, and pounding music. And for someone who easily gets overwhelmed/ audio overload (I think I have some issues related to a previous head injury, and have a family history of autism, I’ve been on an NHS waitlist for 2 years so who knows lol)

Like, right now, I’m feeling very overwhelmed by my flatmates screaming in the kitchen, my next door roommate periodically screaming playing on his games, and the flats upstairs and downstairs playing party music. It’s Monday night, what the heck? But this happens almost every day/night, it’s like my whole house is constantly awake.

For someone who has to wake up early to go to University, and someone who really really struggles to get to sleep at night anyways, this is proving to be a huge problem.

It would look so rude to move out, and I do enjoy going out with my flatmates (but no more than 3 times a week - to them that’s far less than the norm). Not to mention, I don't even know how moving out would work - its official university accommodation - do we have to stay the whole year? On top of this, my old friends have moved away since I started uni, and my flatmates so far have been my closest friends here. (My parents house is about an hour away).

I don't think I could contact the uni representatives over the noise, because I am not exaggerating when I say it is literally the entire block, every single flat.

Any advice/ similar stories? Words of encouragement?

I'm just venting tbh

Get some ear defenders from Amazon or ear plugs. Its ood you think it might be you rather than them.

Talk to student welfare/ disabilities. You may let you leave if you have to. Normally you are responsible for the rent for the rest of the year, but if you have a medial reason then they might be more lenient..

If you knew you had this problem beforehand., then you should have got a studio or checked it out.

Things will settle down from 3 nights a week when they have to do some work.

Quick Reply

Latest