The Student Room Group

2018 Cambridge History Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by BlueberryViolin
Don't worry, it's only one part of your application and if the rest of your application is good (which I'm sure it is!) then they'll most likely offer you an interview :smile:. I think on another thread @Doonesbury posted the admissions assessment statistics for successful offer holders in Engineering and it was clear that some people who scored very low scores got offers and some who scored very high scores didn't, so scoring poorly (and you don't even know for certain that you did :smile:) definitely won't knock you out.

Correct in all respects :smile:
How did people do on the Robson Essay Prize or similar comps?
. I got highly commended but my grades are **** compared to some of yis 😂 so I’m not applying
Original post by GovernmentEarner
What are your grades?

I'm Predicted A*AB, but I got ABCC at AS and only one A* at GCSE (The A* wasn't even in History).
I asked if they wanted me to apply to Trinity, Searjentson(I believe) replied that they would definitely consider it but it would just be a waste of a pick if I were to have put it down
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by PKeaveney
I'm Predicted A*AB, but I got ABCC at AS and only one A* at GCSE.
I asked if they wanted me to apply to Trinity, Searjentson(I believe) replied that they would definitely consider it but it would just be a waste of a pick if I were to have put it down

Hmm, so Trinity effectively advised you to apply...
Your GCSEs don't matter much...
I've seen people with AABD at AS-level (and "terrible" GCSEs) get offers...
You have 5 picks and only 1 firm and 1 insurance (and probably at least 4 offers) so it's not really a waste.

Oh well, it's too late now...
Original post by Doonesbury
Hmm, so Trinity effectively advised you to apply...
Your GCSEs don't matter much...
I've seen people with AABD at AS-level (and "terrible" GCSEs) get offers...
You have 5 picks and only 1 firm and 1 insurance (and probably at least 4 offers) so it's not really a waste.

Oh well, it's too late now...

Yeah annoying now isn't it, I applied with the rest of the Oxbridge applicants-my rationale being that I might look like I'm applying there lol.

I'll get 3A*s this year trust, do my 1st year at Bristol, Durham or UCL and then join yis lmao
Reply 65
I'll get 3A*s this year trust, do my 1st year at Bristol, Durham or UCL and then join yis lmao

Sorry to disappoint you but early applicants are treated no differently than any other applicants.

And you can't transfer to Cambridge from another UK university. O*ford, possibly.
Sorry to disappoint you but early applicants are treated no differently than any other applicants.

And you can't transfer to Cambridge from another UK university. O*ford, possibly.

Do your credits not carry over either? can I leave and reapply through UCAS?

Ahh this is bugging me, my Hist teacher told me that the Robson Prize was their like entry test. My dad didn't even think I'd get an offer from Nottingham so its cool lmao
Reply 67
Do your credits not carry over either? can I leave and reapply through UCAS?

Ahh this is bugging me, my Hist teacher told me that the Robson Prize was their like entry test. My dad didn't even think I'd get an offer from Nottingham so its cool lmao

They simply don't accept applications from students currently enrolled at another UK university. And no they won't carry over units. The only option is not to take up your other university place, instead take a gap year and apply to Cambridge next October (and re-apply to your other choices) and see what happens.

If you achieve 3A*s you would be a competitive Cambridge candidate, but there's no guarantees.
They simply don't accept applications from students currently enrolled at another UK university. And no they won't carry over units. The only option is not to take up your other university place, instead take a gap year and apply to Cambridge next October (and re-apply to your other choices) and see what happens.

If you achieve 3A*s you would be a competitive Cambridge candidate, but there's no guarantees.

I could easily take a gap year, just have to find something to do for the time.

I could defer and have the gap year (given I get a place at Bristol), apply for Cambridge that year and have a gap year. The problem is essentially that the chance of getting into Cambridge is inherently so low that id be taking a gap year with a small chance of going to Cambridge. Good luck with your application
Reply 69
I could defer and have the gap year (given I get a place at Bristol), apply for Cambridge that year and have a gap year. The problem is essentially that the chance of getting into Cambridge is inherently so low that id be taking a gap year with a small chance of going to Cambridge. Good luck with your application

Nope, you can't apply anywhere via UCAS whilst holding a deferred place. You will have to give up your place, apply to Cambridge, re-apply to Bristol (and UCL, Durham, etc). Bristol won't mind or bear a grudge :wink:

And if you have A*A*A your chance of getting a Cambridge offer is significantly better than 35% (their typical offer rate for History).

I'm not an applicant.
Nope, you can't apply anywhere via UCAS whilst holding a deferred place. You will have to give up your place, apply to Cambridge, re-apply to Bristol (and UCL, Durham, etc). Bristol won't mind or bear a grudge :wink:

And if you have A*A*A your chance of getting a Cambridge offer is significantly better than 35% (their typical offer rate for History).

I'm not an applicant.

Ooh thats a significant risk then....

I'll get the grades then, then and only then will I be able to have this convo
Thanks x
Reply 71
I'll get the grades then, then and only then will I be able to have this convo
Thanks x

Exactly (although I'd say it's better than 50:50) - but good luck either way :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Hey guys!

I am a first-year student who has just started studying history at Cambridge uni so if anyone wants any tips I'll more than happy answer some stuff. Just tag me in a post!

Original post by SteamboatMickey
Hey guys!

I am a first-year student who has just started studying history at Cambridge uni so if anyone wants any tips I'll more than happy answer some stuff. Just tag me in a post!

Hi, i am thinking of applying to medwards next year,it had a really nice friendly feel about it when i visited.I am a bit worried about how long it would take to get to the sidgewick site as i sometime suffer from back problems and this affects my walking speed.How have you found life studying history at medwards?
Any historians received an interview invite yet?
Reply 74
D35D3D40-7053-45E6-85A9-B231EF2A3FC0.jpeg
Hi guys thought you might find this interesting. Someone did a Freedom if Information request to Cambridge for last years HAA.

The average for an offer was 6.3 while those rejected 5.1-5.7, so there’s a correlation of score to offer but it’s fairly weak. Shows it’s not that important, as long as you did ok (although this is only section 1).

And the range for offer holders is 1.2 - 9.0 :wink:

A "weak" correlation is correct...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys thought you might find this interesting. Someone did a Freedom of Information request to Cambridge for last years HAA.

The average for an offer was 6.3 while those rejected 5.1-5.7, so there’s a correlation of score to offer but it’s fairly weak. Shows it’s not that important, as long as you did ok (although this is only section 1).

Thanks for sharing!! Kinda needed this reassurance as my underperformance in the HAA literally still haunts me 😂😭
Hi guys thought you might find this interesting. Someone did a Freedom of Information request to Cambridge for last years HAA.

Can 98% guarantee I was that 1.2 :wink: :wink:

But yh this is a rly good thing to show that admissions assessments really aren't the be-all and end-all :smile: don't give up hope guys ❤️❤️❤️

Thanks for posting this :biggrin:!

Just looked at the stats and was wondering if the average score of offer holders was in fact 5.98? (Might be very wishful thinking or my complete inability at maths though :colondollar:!)

IMG_0559.PNG
I like the effort! But you can’t score 5.98, the scores are stratified, so I just picked the modal class 🙂

Was the modal (i.e. most common) class for offer holders not 7.0 though? Or is this another case of a hopeful historian epically failing at maths on my part :colondollar:?
Reply 79
Original post by BlueberryViolin
Thanks for posting this :biggrin:!

Just looked at the stats and was wondering if the average score of offer holders was in fact 5.98? (Might be very wishful thinking or my complete inability at maths though :colondollar:!)

The average is barely relevant. Look at the range: people above, and far below, the average get offers.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending