The Student Room Group

'I Studied a Hard Subject So You Dont Have To'

I was thinking of using this phrase as my tinder bio because I studied a hard STEM subject at a top 5 uni. Its a bit of a joke but it kinda does emphasise my education which im pretty proud of. Do girls find this a put off?

Scroll to see replies

I am probably more sensitive than most but I think that probably would put me off :/
Tbh it comes across a bit braggy to me
nah not really... some girls find intelligence attractive :smile:
Original post by ManaPigs
I was thinking of using this phrase as my tinder bio because I studied a hard STEM subject at a top 5 uni. Its a bit of a joke but it kinda does emphasise my education which im pretty proud of. Do girls find this a put off?

It should be witty but you should be selling yourself. Immediately it makes it seem like the only thing you have to offer is your degree which for most ppl isnt really special.
To be honest, I'm a bit slow so I probably wouldn't have got the joke :lol:

Also, this may just be me. But when I was very briefly on tinder, I'd always swipe left to anyone who either had no bio or just 1 sentence. Although to be fair, I guess I wasn't tinder's target audience. I'm just not attracted to just looks, even at first. Felt 0 click with anyone.
Reply 6
Hmm it's impressive but it sounds arrogant, like I wouldn't swipe right, only because I'd feel like my degree can't compare to that and it sounds like you would compare aswell.
Reply 7
Original post by SophieSmall
To be honest, I'm a bit slow so I probably wouldn't have got the joke :lol:

Also, this may just be me. But when I was very briefly on tinder, I'd always swipe left to anyone who either had no bio or just 1 sentence. Although to be fair, I guess I wasn't tinder's target audience. I'm just not attracted to just looks, even at first. Felt 0 click with anyone.

Maybe you're attracted to a masters in STEM.
Maybe you're attracted to a masters in STEM.

I am a master's in stem. :colonhash:
The one thing I can't stand in a man or people in general is arrogance.
If you're proud of your accomplishments, that's great and you should be. I'm sure you didn't study the subject you chose just to brag to people about it so in that case do what you need to do and help people with your degree rather than showing off. You're not the first person on the planet to study a hard subject and 'hard' is somewhat subjective too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
I honestly wouldn't get it unless explained

and now that it's been explained I do not think most women here will find it appealing either

Spoiler

Tbh it comes across as arrogant and that's a big turn off for most women. Wit is one thing, but it comes across as a bit condescending. You can probably find a better way to phrase it. There are so many puns / innuendos with hard you could make without telling people they didn't have to do as hard a degree as you. (Also what if a fitty did the same degree as you and then was like woah they assume I didn't? If you get what I mean, I'm tired and a bit incoherent sorry 😂)
No, that makes you look ignorant and ultimately very unintelligent.
You would come off as a bit narcissistic or pretentious to be honest. Some people will find it attractive but most won’t, probably.
Reply 14
Original post by Multifaceted
No, that makes you look ignorant and ultimately very unintelligent.

How does it make me ignorant?

I don't see why you would on a tinder profile of all things.
Original post by cosmicsnowflake
You would come off as a bit narcissistic or pretentious to be honest. Some people will find it attractive but most won’t, probably.

Well, that sounds perfect for tinder lol.

It sounds like your a big headed person who is boasting about how smart they are and how the other person is too stupid to study the subject you studied.

That's how it comes across.
How does it make me ignorant?

Because you're unaware of the difficulty required of other subjects and just throwing out mainstream generalised comments in an attempt to be funny
Bit condescending if you ask me. It's like you're saying that the person you'd be matched with isn't capable of hard subjects. It also makes you come across as arrogant, which nobody likes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending