The Student Room Group

Are Hindu's allowed sex before marriage?

Is there anywhere in the Holy book that mentions this?
must do, a lot of us do it
Reply 2
Nothing in the Vedas or puranas says that a Hindu can't have pre-marital sex, but it does place great emphasis on sex being a union of souls for procreation, so shagging about for no other reason than pleasure is still technically frowned on.
Original post by Oxbridge_
Is there anywhere in the Holy book that mentions this?

Which holy book? we have hundreds

On the religious side the vedas geeta and upanishads dont really talk about this. conservative cultural attitudes are far more influential in hindu society than what hindu scripture actually says.
Our scriptures dont have prohibitions or commandments. they are guidelines or recommendations but ultimately the individual decides taking into account context.
Original post by gjd800
Nothing in the Vedas or puranas says that a Hindu can't have pre-marital sex, but it does place great emphasis on sex being a union of souls for procreation, so shagging about for no other reason than pleasure is still technically frowned on.

let's not mention the kama sutra :lol:
Reply 5
Original post by kaushikp
let's not mention the kama sutra :lol:

Haha, surprised the OP didn't! It is a bit misrepresented though, the emphasis on family life and family values etc are all there in that, too. Most of it is really a lot of stuff on the 'philosophy of love', I guess.
Original post by gjd800
Haha, surprised the OP didn't! It is a bit misrepresented though, the emphasis on family life and family values etc are all there in that, too. Most of it is really a lot of stuff on the 'philosophy of love', I guess.

that is true. sadly the sexual pleasure element is really the only thing its known for even though it has a lot more stuff in there
Reply 7
that is true. sadly the sexual pleasure element is really the only thing its known for even though it has a lot more stuff in there

Your average Joe is more concerned with getting their end wet than with understanding the origins of desire, I suppose. Ha.
Original post by gjd800
Your average Joe is more concerned with getting their end wet than with understanding the origins of desire, I suppose. Ha.

:rofl:

understanding the origins of desire is far more liberating in my view lool
Reply 9
:rofl:

understanding the origins of desire is far more liberating in my view lool

Well, that's the goal!

This is really why I love Indian philosophy so much, to be honest. It has a depth and life-relevance that the Western stuff has mostly moved away from, unfortunately.
Original post by gjd800
Well, that's the goal!

This is really why I love Indian philosophy so much, to be honest. It has a depth and life-relevance that the Western stuff has mostly moved away from, unfortunately.

Unfortunately very few people study indian philosophy in any real depth. most people just have a superficial understanding of karma and kama and thats indian philosophy done for them.
Even in india academics are more interested in and have more respect for modern western philosophy than buddhist or hindu philosophy
Reply 11
Unfortunately very few people study indian philosophy in any real depth. most people just have a superficial understanding of karma and kama and thats indian philosophy done for them.
Even in india academics are more interested in and have more respect for modern western philosophy than buddhist or hindu philosophy

It's an uphill battle. There are only two of us in our department with any interest in this stuff, breaks my heart.
Reply 12
Ngl i didnt even know theres multiple holy books- this is quite bad lol, i was grown in a Hindu family, but I guess you can say I really dont know much about it....
Original post by Oxbridge_
Ngl i didnt even know theres multiple holy books- this is quite bad lol, i was grown in a Hindu family, but I guess you can say I really dont know much about it....

If you are interested in enhancing your knowledge and learning the basics then I would recommend that you watch these videos whenever you can.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWsnhdZKqEqxY0u7jXrWBqo7yKfcLJlXN
Which holy book? we have hundreds

On the religious side the vedas geeta and upanishads dont really talk about this. conservative cultural attitudes are far more influential in hindu society than what hindu scripture actually says.
Our scriptures dont have prohibitions or commandments. they are guidelines or recommendations but ultimately the individual decides taking into account context.

I agree. It's really up to an individual.
Reply 15
Original post by CuriousGuy777
If you are interested in enhancing your knowledge and learning the basics then I would recommend that you watch these videos whenever you can.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWsnhdZKqEqxY0u7jXrWBqo7yKfcLJlXN

cheers for this! :smile: from the replies it seems its not really forbidden which is a relief

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending